ADVERTISEMENT

Waiting For UConn To Make A Statement

I know you love all things UCONN, but going to a BCS Bowl is masked by winning the Big East with an 8-4 record. Getting into a BCS Bowl was a fluke based on a very bad conference.
And yet no amount of revisionism means it didn't happen, right?

I think both things can be true. Remember, all BCS bowl teams were not created equal. Around 2010 time frame there were people advocating for the BigEast to lose their automatic qualification. You didn’t have to be great but you still had to be a good team to win the BigEast.

The bcs games were the most prestigious bowls but weren’t a collection of the 10 best teams. AP top 10 teams have been left out while unranked/fringe top 25 UConn selected. Without that context claiming a bcs appearance can be somewhat misleading to how good a team really was.

I think both things can be true. Remember, all BCS bowl teams were not created equal. Around 2010 time frame there were people advocating for the BigEast to lose their automatic qualification. You didn’t have to be great but you still had to be a good team to win the BigEast.

The bcs bowl games were the most prestigious but weren’t a collection of the 10 best teams. AP top 10 teams have been left out while unranked/fringe top 25 UConn selected. Without that context claiming a bcs appearance can be somewhat misleading to how good a team really was.
And did that game go in terms of the result and money lost for participating? Neither was very good.

Reactions: Johnny Biggs

The bcs games were the most prestigious bowls but weren’t a collection of the 10 best teams. AP top 10 teams have been left out while unranked/fringe top 25 UConn selected. Without that context claiming a bcs appearance can be somewhat misleading to how good a team really was.
Misleading, arguably, but in this case undeniably factual.

Annnnd just to make it official...
img_4194-jpeg.103330

As I said, there's no point in ever devoting too much energy to a Connecticut to the [__________] conference rumor. They happen every August and, with the exception of coming back to the big east, haven't panned out yet.

Reactions: Section112
I think an ACC move would make more sense. Assuming FSU and Clemson come to an agreement with the league, the ACC will need to backfill those slots and there are only about 5 schools left to choose from - UCONN, Memphis, Tulane, Wa St, Or St.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I think an ACC move would make more sense. Assuming FSU and Clemson come to an agreement with the league, the ACC will need to backfill those slots and there are only about 5 schools left to choose from - UCONN, Memphis, Tulane, Wa St, Or St.
Maybe. We aren't in a position to be picky.

What's the right P4 conference for Connecticut? Which ever conference actually invites us.

To be honest, at this point, I'm not holding my breath about it. When we were in the American every day was a bucket of suck. I enjoy being in the big east conference, as do most Connecticut fans I talk to. I'm not going to worry about it in the near term. If a move happens, it happens.

I tried to post this 2 weeks ago but this App doesn’t work at times. UConn 100% approached the Big 12 (not the other way around) to explore ways to get the invite and what concessions they would have to make. 2 NC’s got them a seat at that table, but that was all it was. UConn felt it was the perfect time to make a play and who could blame them for trying.

I tried to post this 2 weeks ago but this App doesn’t work at times. UConn 100% approached the Big 12 (not the other way around) to explore ways to get the invite and what concessions they would have to make. 2 NC’s got them a seat at that table, but that was all it was. UConn felt it was the perfect time to make a play and who could blame them for trying.
Uh huh. And you know this how, exactly?

It is unsurprising that UConn would court the party that could deliver significant more dollars. That is how life works. I don’t understand why fans are surprised or upset. UConn has been very clear re its intentions.

It is unsurprising that UConn would court the party that could deliver significant more dollars. That is how life works. I don’t understand why fans are surprised or upset. UConn has been very clear re its intentions.
In this climate it is only when and what conference they jump to. Football conference $$$$$$ is too big to pass up.

Reactions: CL82
From a UConn grad who has been working for the NBA for many years and got her foot in the door thanks to a very good recommendation letter from Geno Auriemma. Where she got her information from, I could not tell you.

It is unsurprising. Still, I was curious about his source who let him know about it two weeks before the news broke publicly. I know who he is referring to.

A hybrid conference with football schools and basketball only schools??

I think down the road scheduling will resemble pro sports with regional scheduling. But the way it is right now benefits schools in the middle of the country and hurts schools on the coasts that travel a lot more. It's not sustainable right now for many programs.

Last edited:
Once Clemson and Fla St bolt the ACC should merge with Big East forming an east coast super basketball conference..

hybrid conference with football schools and basketball only schools??
Exactly. Isn't the notion of a hybrid conference with differing distributions the reason why you guys split off from the old big east? Keep in mind that a hybrid conference might be inclined to view compensating players much more favorably. That might mean the basketball only schools would be at a competitive disadvantage, not only with other conferences, but within their own conference.

I think that ship has largely sailed. (In many ways, it would be the best of all possible worlds for Connecticut, though.)

That worked sooooo well before.
That was my initial feeling. And how I feel after some thought.

Maybe the difference now is that there are fewer landing spots, and those spots are bloated already so expansion is unlikely?. Maybe 16, 16, 18 are enough? Would hate to go back to the unbalanced schedule.

Cant believe there are now 17 ACC teams?

That was my initial feeling. And how I feel after some thought.

Maybe the difference now is that there are fewer landing spots, and those spots are bloated already so expansion is unlikely?. Maybe 16, 16, 18 are enough? Would hate to go back to the unbalanced schedule.

Cant believe there are now 17 ACC teams?
18 for basketball including Notre Dame.

Reactions: Seton75
18 for basketball including Notre Dame.
Hybrid conferences don’t work. The ACC’s next contract in 2036 will be relatively worse than what it has today. It is destined to be a second tier football conference with significant losses due to a shortage of revenue.

Reactions: Halldan1
Well, four Mountsin West schools are bolting to join the PAC 12– San Diego State, Fresno and. Colorado State. That brings its number of schools to six but they need two more to be recognized by the NCAA as an official conference. UCONN?!?! Then UCONN’s closest away game will be only 2500 miles away. They should jump all over this great opportunity.

Well, four Mountsin West schools are bolting to join the PAC 12– San Diego State, Fresno and. Colorado State. That brings its number of schools to six but they need two more to be recognized by the NCAA as an official conference. UCONN?!?! Then UCONN’s closest away game will be only 2500 miles away. They should jump all over this great opportunity.
Well, we'd have to get an offer first, wouldn't we?

(Actually as a football only member flying out to the west coast six times a year is doable. One PAC12 has already suggested the possibility of our joining for all sports. That's a non-starter.)

Well, we'd have to get an offer first, wouldn't we?

(Actually as a football only member flying out to the west coast six times a year is doable. One PAC12 has already suggested the possibility of our joining for all sports. That's a non-starter.)
Football only with a small exit fee makes sense for a holding pattern.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT