ADVERTISEMENT

Waiting For UConn To Make A Statement

Someone sent me this link along the lines of Uconn's importance to the league (Big East 2024 TV ratings across each game): https://lookerstudio.google.com/u/0/reporting/9815f157-ea60-478f-a481-2dc93fae6ca8/page/tWDGB.

I don't know how to digest all these numbers or what they mean in the grand scheme, but a few takeaways:

-Uconn was first in TV viewership by several million (17.3 million). Marquette the only other team that was close with approx. 15 million. After that you have Creighton, St. John's and Nova all in the 10m viewership range, in that order. No on else close to that 10 million mark in TV viewership, including us, Gtown, Providence etc. So there was a real drop off once you got past Uconn (king of the hill), Marquette, Creighton, St. John's and Nova.

-No coincidence, the common thread among the top 10 most watched games is either Uconn, Marquette or St. John's.

- The top 5 rated Fox games were the two times Uconn played Marquette and the 3 times they played St John's.

-Uconn is basically at the top of every most watched FS1, Fox and CBS game

- Our game v. Uconn was the second most watched Big East-related game on CBS, trailing only Uconn v. North Carolina, and slightly ahead of Creighton v. St. John's on CBS.
This can be tied back to the state school/private school discussion.

As a state school, it would make sense UConn would draw higher ratings as they would seemingly have a larger alumni base and thus more fans than the other conference members. Additionally they would be likely to have more casual fans.

That doesn't even get into they've won consecutive national championships and five in 25 years.

“UCONN is one of the most heavily subsidized public FBS athletic programs in the country.” Hmmm, sounds like that’s not going down too well with a number of B12 ADs/presidents.
Yeah, but here's the thing if we decreased our budget, they'd be saying well we don't have a big time budget. The reason why we're heavily subsidized is we're not making P4 money. The thing that amazes me is Rutgers has nearly twice our deficit and they're getting paid 70 million a year.

Yeah, but here's the thing if we decreased our budget, they'd be saying well we don't have a big time budget. The reason why we're heavily subsidized is we're not making P4 money. The thing that amazes me is Rutgers has nearly twice our deficit and they're getting paid 70 million a year.
The fallacy is that big time sports is a good financial investment. Fewer than 10 schools run a surplus. Seemingly every dollar earned and more is reinvested.

The fallacy is that big time sports is a good financial investment. Fewer than 10 schools run a surplus. Seemingly every dollar earned and more is reinvested.
I don't know that this is an absolute truth, but there are plenty of examples of it, Rutgers being one. on the other hand, the football schools are driving the environment and making everything more expensive even for basketball and Olympic sports. For the University of Connecticut, I'm concerned that being on the outside, looking in on that means that eventually we will be priced out of being a high major in basketball if we do not get into a power conference. I'm not sure how you compete without access to power conference media distributions.

Of course that's even a more difficult issue for you guys without the cushion of State money to help buffer the demands of an ever escalating cost of doing business. Personally, I don't think it's accidental. I feel as if there is a concerted effort to make the cost of competing at the highest level prohibitive for anyone who's not in the club now. That's the reason why I think that if you have the opportunity to join a power conference, you jump on it. I fully agree that virtually all of it, if not all and then some, we'll get reinvested back into athletics, but by doing so at least you have a chance to be competitive.

For what it's worth, a few people above had asked about football NIL. This year NIL for UConn football was $1.25 million. Next year it is scheduled to go up to $2.5 million. Note that that is NIL only. It does not include future profit sharing.

I have included a link to a New Haven register article that lists these figures below:

If you use your phones "reader" function you can get by the paywall.

Yes, I agree. Those are insane figures, but that's the world of college sports right now. as you guys know, basketball is not immune to this either.

And so, as August transitions to September, another UConn to the Big 12 rumor fizzles into obscurity....

Sheryl Lee Ralph Wow GIF by ABC Network

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I assume Danny will send Onward Setonia his first NIL donation the day the move becomes official?

Reactions: TomD82
This all comes down to Brett Yormark's belief that basketball media deals are under-valued and that having UConn will give them a major piece to sell.
Someone sent me this link along the lines of Uconn's importance to the league (Big East 2024 TV ratings across each game): https://lookerstudio.google.com/u/0/reporting/9815f157-ea60-478f-a481-2dc93fae6ca8/page/tWDGB.

I don't know how to digest all these numbers or what they mean in the grand scheme, but a few takeaways:

-Uconn was first in TV viewership by several million (17.3 million). Marquette the only other team that was close with approx. 15 million. After that you have Creighton, St. John's and Nova all in the 10m viewership range, in that order. No on else close to that 10 million mark in TV viewership, including us, Gtown, Providence etc. So there was a real drop off once you got past Uconn (king of the hill), Marquette, Creighton, St. John's and Nova.

-No coincidence, the common thread among the top 10 most watched games is either Uconn, Marquette or St. John's.

- The top 5 rated Fox games were the two times Uconn played Marquette and the 3 times they played St John's.

-Uconn is basically at the top of every most watched FS1, Fox and CBS game

- Our game v. Uconn was the second most watched Big East-related game on CBS, trailing only Uconn v. North Carolina, and slightly ahead of Creighton v. St. John's on CBS.
IMO, this is the main reason why I thought the value of the new BE media rights deal was disappointing. Compared to the original deal it didn't go up enough considering UConn's addition and back to back titles.

The B12 flirtation comes down to Brett Yormark's belief that basketball media deals are under-valued and that having UConn will give them a major piece to sell. He wouldn't risk watering down football and dividing profits up further if he didn't feel strongly that he could get a much higher media deal than the BE got with UConn.

1. No guarentee that the b12 ad is right.
2. The future of bb only conferences is up in the air enough that all media outlets think they can shake us down.

Maybe we left money on the table. And maybe we made the best deal possible. I havent got a clue. Given the recent changes in college sports none of what has happened has surprised me. Maybe that is cause i am not very media deal savvy.

The BE presidents signed off on the deal so I’m inclined to believe it was the best we could get. And the constant UCONN speculation most likely undercut the BE’s negotiating position every step of the way.

The BE presidents signed off on the deal so I’m inclined to believe it was the best we could get. And the constant UCONN speculation most likely undercut the BE’s negotiating position every step of the way.
For what it's worth, there were no rumors about Connecticut leaving while the big east negotiations were taking place.

This all comes down to Brett Yormark's belief that basketball media deals are under-valued and that having UConn will give them a major piece to sell.

IMO, this is the main reason why I thought the value of the new BE media rights deal was disappointing. Compared to the original deal it didn't go up enough considering UConn's addition and back to back titles.

The B12 flirtation comes down to Brett Yormark's belief that basketball media deals are under-valued and that having UConn will give them a major piece to sell. He wouldn't risk watering down football and dividing profits up further if he didn't feel strongly that he could get a much higher media deal than the BE got with UConn.
I also think Yormark and some big 12 schools think that Connecticut will improve with big 12 money and access to the big 12 brand. That said they set aside specific financial incentives that Connecticut must reach in order to get football membership.

For what it's worth, there were no rumors about Connecticut leaving while the big east negotiations were taking place.
Oh please. UCONN is looking for every possible way into a P4 every day of the week. You know it just like everybody else knows it. If you don’t think that wasn’t an overriding issue in the negotiations, I’m not sure what to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomD82
We likely have not heard the last of UConn to the B12. Moreover, if UConn doesn’t go to the B12, I would expect that the ACC wil poach it when the latter implodes.

Oh please. UCONN is looking for every possible way into a P4 every day of the week. You know it just like everybody else knows it. If you don’t think that wasn’t an overriding issue in the negations, I’m not sure what to say.
The way that broadcast partners deal with that issue is via a composition clause, where the agreement is renegotiated in the event of a change in member composition.

Last edited:
We likely have not heard the last of UConn to the B12. Moreover, if UConn doesn’t go to the B12, I would expect that the ACC wil poach it when the latter implodes.

Conference realignment rumors involving Connecticut are an August tradition. There's no point in putting much stock in them until they're painting a new logo on the court

Oh, it was worse than the score.

Maryland is our most difficult game of the season. Hopefully we can improve on that showing.
Old friend - So true about being worse than the score. The Huskies have no speed in skill positions. Looks like they run in quicksand. The quarterback play is awful. Can't throw out patterns with any zip. I'm afraid it is going to be another long season for the Huskies. In fact, I would be a tad worried about Merrimack this week. They played Air Force really tough out in the altitude. Wonder if any of the Big 12 commissioners tuned in. Brett Yormark has a tougher sell after seeing the "promised" improvement.

Old friend - So true about being worse than the score. The Huskies have no speed in skill positions. Looks like they run in quicksand. The quarterback play is awful. Can't throw out patterns with any zip. I'm afraid it is going to be another long season for the Huskies. In fact, I would be a tad worried about Merrimack this week. They played Air Force really tough out in the altitude. Wonder if any of the Big 12 commissioners tuned in. Brett Yormark has a tougher sell after seeing the "promised" improvement.
It was an ugly showing. That said, wide receiver Skyler Bell was able to get separation and break away for chunk plays. It's promising.

Agree that a loss or a close game to Merrimack would be a bad thing. Probably too soon too cancel the season based upon one game though.

Could someone please explain where is the leverage to get a better deal. Who is going to pay more? Do we go on strike? Just asking.

Could someone please explain where is the leverage to get a better deal. Who is going to pay more? Do we go on strike? Just asking.
The big 12 potentially splitting its rights into football and basketball may end up being a good thing for us because it'll highlight basketball as its own product.

(Fully agree that if there were competing bids, we would've considered them.)

And that was when Cuse and BC had good programs that went downhill after they joined the ACC. UConn has never been good so they are starting way behind.
If by "never been good" you mean won 2 big east conference football championships and went to a BCS bowl, then, yes, Connecticut has "never been good."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Section112
UConn is certainly a premium brand but it was always nice (pre-UConn) when media would call the BigEast the most stable conference in all of high major sports.

I hate this whole song and dance of are you leaving or not…what happens if uconn leaves…

It’s difficult to turn down a premium brand like UConn but I wish the league would just accept what they are and know what they’re not.

Yormark has a diverse background selling both media rights and sponsorship deals. He's made big deals with NASCAR, NBA and NFL and is banking on the fact that basketball rights will be very lucrative in 2031 when the current NCAA March Madness deal expires. Coincidentally that's also when the Big12 and Big East rights will also be open.

Yormark believes that March Madness will get a massive deal and whoever loses March Madness will need and pay for basketball programming. He's looking to make a huge football only deal and the first P4 Basketball only deal.

By the way, the latest BE deal was negotiated more by Fox than the BE. They made an initial agreement to allow Fox to seek a deal with other partners. Fox negotiated with CBS but eventually got a better deal with Peacock and TNT who are both thirsty for sports programming.

UConn is certainly a premium brand but it was always nice (pre-UConn) when media would call the BigEast the most stable conference in all of high major sports.

I hate this whole song and dance of are you leaving or not…what happens if uconn leaves…

It’s difficult to turn down a premium brand like UConn but I wish the league would just accept what they are and know what they’re not.
My advice is ignore the chatter, because it really doesn't matter. It will either happen or it won't.

(And even if Connecticut does, at some point, get an invite and gives notice to the conference, we won't leave for 27 1/2 months anyway. Nothing is going to change in the immediate future, so why worry about it?)

Last edited:
If by "never been good" you mean won 2 big east conference football championships and went to a BCS bowl, then, yes, Connecticut has "never been good."
I know you love all things UCONN, but going to a BCS Bowl is masked by winning the Big East with an 8-4 record. Getting into a BCS Bowl was a fluke based on a very bad conference.

Reactions: Johnny Biggs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT