ADVERTISEMENT

St. John’s waits with open arms as Rick Pitino sorts out future

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Steve Serby

ALBANY — Rick Pitino has given Iona an up-close and personal view of how a Hall of Fame coach can impact a program through the sheer force of his personality and basketball genius.

He has been the right man at the right time for Iona, just as Iona has been the right school and the right job at the right time for him.

Basketball utopia for the Gaels at a time when they needed another in a long line of winning coaches, and basketball utopia for Pitino at a time in his life when he needed a team, needed another chance after all the NCAA turbulence, even if utopia often ends in the blink of an eye in March and he was forced to walk across to congratulate Dan Hurley and Connecticut on Friday for their 87-63 victory over Iona in the West Region first-rounder at MVP Arena.

Now what for Rick Pitino?

“I really have no idea what the future brings,” Pitino said.

There was no limo with Lou Carnesecca waiting inside observed outside MVP Arena to whisk him away to a certain university on Utopia Parkway, where a fan base searching desperately for a savior is waiting with open arms to for its dream.

King Of Queens.

Because St. John’s hasn’t had a Hall of Fame coach … since Lou Carnesecca.

Virtually everyone agrees that it would be a match made in heaven, the New Yawk Native Son returning to a different Big East than the one he treasured when he coached for two seasons at Providence, but the Big East nevertheless, with UConn back.

So when the scoreboard clock struck zero, St. John’s was officially on the clock waiting for Saint Rick.

Red Storm Rising in prayer.

“I don’t know if it’s right for me, another job, I don’t know that,” Pitino said.

He told The Post he would have to research St. John’s to decide whether it is indeed the right job for him.

“You don’t buy houses without looking at the garage and the upstairs and the kitchen and everything,” Pitino said. “You just don’t buy a house.”

But sometimes the house buys you.

Roll out the red carpet, fellas.

Pitino knew what he was up against on Friday, a program that Hurley had rebuilt from the ground up, with Final Four ambitions. A deep team that had Iona at its mercy on the glass (45-29).

Just not right away.

The Gaels played with no fear, played to win, and that reminded everyone inside MVP Arena, especially shell-shocked Huskies fans, why Pitino, national champion at Kentucky and Louisville, is the 70-year-old Secretariat of his sport.

Pitino cajoled, encouraged, inspired, even growled when the moment demanded it, crouched to play defense alongside his players the way few men his age can.

They were playing the great game they had to play against UConn, authored by the great Hall of Fame coach. Their best half of the year. The small Iona contingent across from the Gaels bench was on its feet screaming as Pitino marched into the halftime locker room with a 39-37 lead.

Alas, it’s a 40-minute game.

Goliath mercilessly ripped the slingshot from Pitino with its destructive defense and characteristic swagger and stomped on it, and Bill Murray, no joke, danced in the stands (his son, Luke, is a UConn assistant). Jordan Hawkins — 0-for-6 in the first half — howled at the start of the second half to ignite the Huskies and finish with 13 points, and big man Adama Sanogo. an indomitable beast inside (22 of his season-high 28 points in the second half, 13 rebounds), carried the Huskies the rest of the way and knocked the last vestiges of hope out of the Gaels … who played their worst half of the year.

Thirteenth-seeded Iona’s players had tuned out questions about Pitino possibly moving on. All they were interested in was shocking UConn and making history for a school that officially had been 0-15 in the NCAA Tournament.

But there they were after the record dropped to 0-16, confronting the worst of March Sadness: the end of a dream and not knowing whether the Hall of Fame coach they revere would ever coach them again.

“The level of excellence is just through the roof every single day,” Daniss Jenkins said. “If you want to be challenged, if you want to be a great player, this is the coach you want to play for.”

How devastating would it be to the school if he does leave?

“I think it will be pretty devastating,” Jenkins said, “but that’s life.”

Red Storm Rising in prayer … for their dream King of Queens.

It's happening and this is awesome for Val during the Fox negotiations !

Hey Fox, you know who St. John's just signed......

I was hoping for UK to lose in first round again and for Cal to get fired. He would have done well at Gtown and be closer to his summer home in NJ.

If it elevates the conference, we will be a beneficiary. We should not worry about what others do.
I wouldn't be so sure about that.Hurley has been at UConn for three years and that has elevated both the conference and UConn.But is SHU BB better off than three years ago?I don't think so.

Reactions: Pirate Russ
I love how when we looked at Rick once upon a time the Catholic thing came 2 mind, meanwhile Catholic St. Johns gonna sell the soul haha for what will be in 2 years a WINNER

I wouldn't be so sure about that.Hurley has been at UConn for three years and that has elevated both the conference and UConn.But is SHU BB better off than three years ago?I don't think so.
We changed coaches. The better the conference in which we compete the higher the ceiling.

Reactions: radecicco
I love how when we looked at Rick once upon a time the Catholic thing came 2 mind, meanwhile Catholic St. Johns gonna sell the soul haha for what will be in 2 years a WINNER
That “sell the soul” ship sailed with NIL, the proverbial nail in the coffin on the mortality front. Us fans are being asked to pay for Richmond to come back here next season, as if the free education and basketball opportunity wasn’t enough. On top of everything else we already devote our time, money and attention to for this stuff.

If it elevates the conference, we will be a beneficiary. We should not worry about what others do.
Yep, it’s a rising tide floats all boats kind of a thing. I have to think Halloway would be a good recruiter. He’s young. He’s personable. I think with Pitino, Hurley, Holloway recruiting the NYC metro area does become dramatically more difficult, but we are going to keep a lot more kids in the conference. That’s important.

Do we want to play with the big boys? If we do, then we have to find a way to compete. The BE has to stay relevant on a national basis. The new TV deal is coming up and Pitino at St John’s improves the profile of the conference. Not saying I like it but it’s the world we’re in.

Do we want to play with the big boys? If we do, then we have to find a way to compete. The BE has to stay relevant on a national basis. The new TV deal is coming up and Pitino at St John’s improves the profile of the conference. Not saying I like it but it’s the world we’re in.
Pitino to St. John’s and Cooley to Georgetown is a good thing. And it’s going to take what is already an exciting and competitive league and make it more of both. We’re not getting a lot of money, at least compared to the P5 and certainly not compared to the P2, but improving the St. John’s and Georgetown brands helps us.

There are ways to do NIL that aren’t thinly veneered payola. Seton Hall needs to figure out how to do that.

Last edited:
“If St. John’s offers Rick Pitino the job and Rick Pitino decides to accept the position, I definitely would be involved in both helping the basketball team financially and helping Rick out with NIL,” Repole said.

“With all the help I’m planning to give the basketball program,” he joked, “I’m hoping I can get a few free seats.”

Game. Changer. If Repole is on board watch out. We are at a disadvantage because we don’t have one of these guys.

“If St. John’s offers Rick Pitino the job and Rick Pitino decides to accept the position, I definitely would be involved in both helping the basketball team financially and helping Rick out with NIL,” Repole said.

“With all the help I’m planning to give the basketball program,” he joked, “I’m hoping I can get a few free seats.”

Game. Changer. If Repole is on board watch out. We are at a disadvantage because we don’t have one of these guys.
The Repole Saga there never ceases to amaze.

I think we do and he was posting on these boards previously about how he’s fixing the NIL and doing this stuff.

It’s not like we were cleaning up on the recruiting trail before Pitino came to the league. What’s good for the conference is good for Seton Hall. Staying relevant is what matters and we should expect that Sha is up to the challenge. Bring it on.
Totally agree with this. However, the other problem is Pitino is by far the better Xs and Os coach too..he is a double whammy..but for everyone

Pitino and St Johns will be decided by mid week...there is a big dinner happening tonight with the SJU brass

Reactions: CL82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT