ADVERTISEMENT

St. John's Game

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Exciting game tomorrow night. This will be a tough one. I've watched a few of their games and Pitino has them really playing well. At 12-5, 4-2 today and #34 in both KP and NET, they've rallied after that bad loss to BC in Brooklyn: They've won 6/8 with the only two losses being a 4-pointer at Connecticut and a 1-pointer at Creighton, both games that were back and forth and they could've won. They blew out Xavier, Butler, and Villanova on the road, and squeaked out a win versus Providence last week.

They're going to test our interior defense. They lead the league in % of points from 2PT and are 3rd in FTA:FGA, plus they have the best offensive turnover % in the conference so far. It's not just Soriano, but RJ Luis is dynamic and to me looks like their most talented player. They're not taking as many 3's as a typical Pitino team, but they can get streaky out there with Jenkins and Dingle.

Bediako's foul problems are a huge deal in this game, IMO (5.4 per 40 mins in BE games, not good). The Johnnies can be susceptible defensively in the lane, which is also where we live. They're out of position and the rotations are off often and ring up a lot of fouls as they have a league-worst FTA:FGA. But they lead the league in 3PT%D, where we can't shoot anyway, LOL.

Sometimes I wonder if st johns plays with goals in mind or they just press for press sakes.
Need to beat them with the pass not the dribble.

Reactions: SHallguy2
I haven’t looked back, but it Feels like Sorianos career vs SHU has been marked by foul trouble. Watching him play a few games this year- he Fouls everyone every time he defends them. I like to think this trend will continue

This is going to be a very tough contest. The good news is that Pitino will figure a way to expose any Hall weakness. Win or lose Sha can then go back and make adjustments moving forward. Pitino has been regularly playing 10 to 11 guys in his rotation. So, their bench is producing a good number of points. That's a distinct advantage to SJU. For me the biggest issue will be the amount of made FG's by SJU. They make 28-30 FG's and the chance for a win is not going to be good. They do that in many of their games. As mentioned, they don't focus on their 3 ball. Some nights it's there and others not too much. I believe Seton Hall has to focus on shutting down one of their lead players. Although Louis Jr. is coming on, it's Jenkins that we need to limit. Also, Dunlap is a variable that you can't allow to hurt you. Soriano is Soriano. Best to take it to him and get him in foul trouble.

From a Seton Hall standpoint they absolutely need the good Dawes/Wusu homestand. Richmond and Davis are fairly consistent and should be able to stand up to SJU in an important game. Not sure if Tubek will be on the court, but a few minutes could help. Sanders could be a positive development in the second half of the year. He just needs to maintain his confidence on his shot and not force it if it is not there. Going back to the main point and that is the defense has to find a way to limit the SJU made FG's.

This is going to be a very tough contest. The good news is that Pitino will figure a way to expose any Hall weakness. Win or lose Sha can then go back and make adjustments moving forward. Pitino has been regularly playing 10 to 11 guys in his rotation. So, their bench is producing a good number of points. That's a distinct advantage to SJU. For me the biggest issue will be the amount of made FG's by SJU. They make 28-30 FG's and the chance for a win is not going to be good. They do that in many of their games. As mentioned, they don't focus on their 3 ball. Some nights it's there and others not too much. I believe Seton Hall has to focus on shutting down one of their lead players. Although Louis Jr. is coming on, it's Jenkins that we need to limit. Also, Dunlap is a variable that you can't allow to hurt you. Soriano is Soriano. Best to take it to him and get him in foul trouble.

From a Seton Hall standpoint they absolutely need the good Dawes/Wusu homestand. Richmond and Davis are fairly consistent and should be able to stand up to SJU in an important game. Not sure if Tubek will be on the court, but a few minutes could help. Sanders could be a positive development in the second half of the year. He just needs to maintain his confidence on his shot and not force it if it is not there. Going back to the main point and that is the defense has to find a way to limit the SJU made
Don't see anyone on their roster who can contain richmond...

I like Bediako a lot, but worry about his quick early two fouls.
I'd consider starting Elijah: maybe get him going more and sooner, and slowing Bediako's fouling. No change in overall minutes, just a switch at the start v. St. J's.

Reactions: shupat08
Soriano will be tough. He is a vacuum cleaner around the boards and is hard to move. He has very good hands. The high pick and roll will be a disaster if JB or EHE ice it high.
Jenkins is streaky but sets the tone. Can't let him dictate play.
Ledlum is strong and hustles. Gets a lot of junk scores.
Luis is still rounding into form.
Dingle can shoot and will hoist it up but he is susceptible on D. Whoever he is guarding should take it to the rack.

On O, the big issue will be Soriano protecting the paint. The Hall lives in the paint and so does Soriano. He doesn't get in foul trouble often. Neither JB or EHE will bring him out of the paint.
Al has to be disciplined in his play. Dre should be able to do his bully ball thing. DAW has to disrupt on D and pick his spots on O. But most importantly, KR has to be precise. Don't force things. Minimize turnovers. St. Johns will foul. Hit FTs.

Will be a tough game. Physical.

I haven’t looked back, but it Feels like Sorianos career vs SHU has been marked by foul trouble. Watching him play a few games this year- he Fouls everyone every time he defends them. I like to think this trend will continue
How the game is called will probably determine the winner. If the refs have a tight whistle, this should favor us. But if they let St Johns maul us during drives to the basket, then it probably wont go well. I would love to see Soriano sitting with 2 or 3 fouls early in the first half. 😁

As we took Marquette's point guard out of the game, we need to have a similar strategy against Daniss Jenkins. He's the catalyst for their offense.

We will win if we play our game and get Soriano in foul trouble.Drive the ball to the hoop and he'll draw enough fouls to keep him on the bench for enough time to disrupt them.

Pitino will bring pressure all game long and he has the depth to do it. Can our back court handle it? Dawes and Wusu as secondary ball handlers will be key.

Reactions: LBP43
Pitino will bring pressure all game long and he has the depth to do it. Can our back court handle it? Dawes and Wusu as secondary ball handlers will be key.
I agree. I believe that after these two games Sha has to get some minutes for Brown when he is healthy. You never know what is going to happen, hopefully not an injury. I don't mean a lot of minutes, but enough to get some experience if the need arises.

From a Seton Hall standpoint they absolutely need the good Dawes/Wusu homestand. Richmond and Davis are fairly consistent and should be able to stand up to SJU in an important game. Not sure if Tubek will be on the court, but a few minutes could help. Sanders could be a positive development in the second half of the year. He just needs to maintain his confidence on his shot and not force it if it is not there. Going back to the main point and that is the defense has to find a way to limit the SJU made FG's.
Really need one more guy coming off the bench, hoping someone emerges from the practice sessions. Need to beat the press and make them pay big time by attacking the basket.

Last edited:
Reactions: catholicman
I'd consider starting Elijah: maybe get him going more and sooner, and slowing Bediako's fouling. No change in overall minutes, just a switch at the start v. St. J's.
Sorry, but no. Bediako is a horse. Trust him to stay disciplined and not pick up any bad fouls. EHE is serviceable but he is not the starter.

Reactions: mbraue
To me this is a classic case of creating a problem where one doesn't exist. If Bediako draws fouls guarding Soriano it's probably going to happen whether he starts or comes in five minutes in.

You can say no overall change in minutes but what happens if EHE picks up early fouls?

Why mess with what's working?

Wonder if it’s getting close to a sellout. Not that many tickets left on the third party sites.

Really need one more guy coming off the bench, hoping someone emerges from the practice sessions. Need to beat the press and make them pay big time by attacking the basket.
Enter Tubek. Another athletic big who plays smart in the few minutes I've seen him in games.

Hopefully it ws just cautionary , but back issues can really be a pain with these athletes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT