ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penn Relays

PiratePride

All American
Jun 4, 2001
I attended the Penn Relays yesterday for the first time. It is quite a spectacle. I am not a dyed in the wool track guy but had always enjyed watching the SHU track team in action. *sigh* I went with a UPenn track & field alum who kept me updated on all the nuances of running the various races and the lanes and what nots. It's hard to keep track of the hundreds high school and college teams participating and all the heats, etc. But I nonetheless ate it all up . Just the very complications involved in scheduling and keeping on schedule all of the events that take place through the three day event ( I only attended Friday). The choreography of it all is a thing to behold. A tip of the hat to the organizers. Christian Brothers HS team won the Distance Medley in a school record time and beat a Westfield team that also broke a school record best time. The race that really got my attention was the Union Catholic Girls in their 4 x 800 Championship of America race. They broke the National High School Record by 2 seconds easily beating the runner up from Jamaica by almost 9 seconds. I had fun and I would recommend it to anyone with an appreciation for the sport.

CBA distance runners are the best HS team over decades in the country . The track team in the distances and the xc team. Amazingly good. A few yrs ago the xc team had a national meet on the same day as the NJ meet of champs. They raced their second team and won. Astoundingly ridiculously good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT