ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen Curry challenged, by a women

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

‘Let’s get it’​

By Miles Schachner

Stephen Curry has some competition at the 3-point line.

The superstar Warriors guard said Monday on “NBA Today” that he’s got Sabrina Ionescu’s new 3-point contest record in his sights, just days after the Liberty guard shattered the NBA and WNBA records with a 37-point round in the 3-point contest last week, which surpassed Curry’s mark of 31.

“I gotta go after Sabrina’s record, I got something to shoot for now that she went crazy with the 37 points in their All-Star weekend,” Curry said, answering a question about whether he would rather win a golf tournament or 3-point contest. “We gotta settle that one, for sure, who’s the better 3-point competition shooter.”

Ionescu is undeterred.

“Let’s get itttt,” she tweeted, adding three laughing emojis.

Curry called the WNBA star’s performance “RIDICULOUS” in a tweet on Friday night.

“Shoot out??” Ionescu tweeted with a laughing emoji in response, tagging Curry.

The two-time WNBA All-Star electrified the crowd at Michelob Ultra Arena in Las Vegas during the contest, nailing 25 out of her 27 shots and missing just three points out of a total possible score of 40.

“I was just focused on making one at a time,” Ionescu said after the 3-point contest. “I wasn’t sure how many I missed, but I knew it wasn’t a lot, so I’m happy to have won this and thankful for the crowd. They were cheering me on the entire time.”

At one point, she drained 20 consecutive shots.

Curry and Indiana Pacers guard Tyrese Haliburton share the NBA record for the highest-scoring round with 31 points, while the WNBA record was previously held by Allie Quigley with 30 points.

NYPICHPDPICT000011026372.jpg

NYPICHPDPICT000013772814-edited.jpg

Ionescu’s Liberty lead the Eastern Conference with a 14-4 record, and the dynamic guard’s 16.4 points per game on 44 percent 3-point shooting have helped lead the way.

Curry, who’s been his sharpshooting self on the golf course this summer as well, is coming off a season in which he averaged 29.4 points on 42 percent shooting from beyond the arc.

He is the all-time NBA leader in 3-pointers made, with 3,390.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Steph does good work in addition to being ridiculously skilled. I just wish his father had not been such a Knick killer.

Credit where credit is due. She totally lit it up! I would not call it a fluke, but I also don’t think it’s anything that will be repeated or matched, in competition, for quite some time. I don’t think Curry will catch her.

Reactions: SHUTAPS76
Credit where credit is due. She totally lit it up! I would not call it a fluke, but I also don’t think it’s anything that will be repeated or matched, in competition, for quite some time. I don’t think Curry will catch her.
Not to take anything away but womens line is significantly closer and the ball significantly smaller while the hoop is the same size. You could move the line back 10 Feet for curry and he'd still score 30 in that contest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT