ADVERTISEMENT

Taking a position

HALL85

All Universe
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Last year several of our players took very public stands during the George Floyd protests, with Myles Cale and Jared Rhoden coming to mind. It made a lot of people upset for them to do that as they were also representing the university…potentially creating contentious situations with teammates, etc. They were lauded, rightfully so, for what they did. Now we have players apparently who have made a decision to not vaccinate….taking an unpopular position even though it’s their body; their choice. Once again maybe taking the risk of creating controversy and contention.

Do we get to chose how we laud independent thinking or only when it suits us? Decisions have consequences whether you are protesting social injustice or making a decision about what to put in your body. Should we be consistent or hypocrites whether we agree or not with their decisions.

Reactions: shu09
Last year several of our players took very public stands during the George Floyd protests, with Myles Cale and Jared Rhoden coming to mind. It made a lot of people upset for them to do that as they were also representing the university…potentially creating contentious situations with teammates, etc. They were lauded, rightfully so, for what they did. Now we have players apparently who have made a decision to not vaccinate….taking an unpopular position even though it’s their body; their choice. Once again maybe taking the risk of creating controversy and contention.

Do we get to chose how we laud independent thinking or only when it suits us? Decisions have consequences whether you are protesting social injustice or making a decision about what to put in your body. Should we be consistent or hypocrites whether we agree or not with their decisions.
we should even laud them when they transfer or sue the school. if its their decision after all.

i agree with their right to choose. respect it. but it puts them at a disadvantage in the ncaa, blm support doesnt.

you see the difference at all?

we should even laud them when they transfer or sue the school. if its their decision after all.

i agree with their right to choose. respect it. but it puts them at a disadvantage in the ncaa, blm support doesnt.

you see the difference at all?

lol. Well, I think you nailed him there. Now he has to root for Powell or he’s a hypocrite.

lol. Well, I think you nailed him there. Now he has to root for Powell or he’s a hypocrite.
That’s interesting. Is that what this is about? “Nailing” somebody?

Very different situation. The lawsuit is a personal attack on Kevin Willard and the medical staff to financially benefit personally . Thanks for playing though.

Very different situation. The lawsuit is a personal attack on Kevin Willard and the medical staff. Thanks for playing though.

lol… as if you didn’t start this thread just to call others hypocrites? Please.

yes, they are different situations and dumb to compare. Just like comparing what Cale was doing to players choosing not to get vaccinated. Very different situations and silly to try and compare them and I don’t care at all about a players choice to not get vaccinated.

Very different situation. The lawsuit is a personal attack on Kevin Willard and the medical staff to financially benefit personally . Thanks for playing though.
Merge poops, Bad knees gives a thumbs up. Vice versa

Reactions: HALL85

I really don’t recall any of our players taking a “very public stand” but that depends on very I guess

I am utterly amazed at the vitriol that has taken over this board and leaked over to the two “basketball” boards.

Certain posters could just put up a single word, say “WHITE”, where some people would jump to the opportunity to scream “BLACK”.

Initial post didn’t call anyone a hypocrite but asked the question whether there should be consistency or inconsistency (though hypocritical implied something). I mean, you can call a good portion of this board hypocritical with the simple “my body my choice” statement and line it up to vaccination and abortion. There would be arguments that they are the same thing, and arguments that they are not.

But my simple observation is that some are so black or white, or blue or red, that there is minimal chance that there could be any agreement on something but rather a race to attack. I think the original intention of this board was off topic discussion. But in reality, it’s just off topic attacks/arguments.

Carry on!

lol… as if you didn’t start this thread just to call others hypocrites? Please.

yes, they are different situations and dumb to compare. Just like comparing what Cale was doing to players choosing not to get vaccinated. Very different situations and silly to try and compare them and I don’t care at all about a players choice to not get vaccinated.
Nice deflection chief. Very similar situations. Decisions that have potential consequences for the team. Actions that were transparent to teammates which sounds like were supported y the coach and players in both. I’m not familiar with what Cale was doing.

Comparing it to Powell‘s lawsuit is the silly comparison.

I am utterly amazed at the vitriol that has taken over this board and leaked over to the two “basketball” boards.

Certain posters could just put up a single word, say “WHITE”, where some people would jump to the opportunity to scream “BLACK”.

Initial post didn’t call anyone a hypocrite but asked the question whether there should be consistency or inconsistency (though hypocritical implied something). I mean, you can call a good portion of this board hypocritical with the simple “my body my choice” statement and line it up to vaccination and abortion. There would be arguments that they are the same thing, and arguments that they are not.

But my simple observation is that some are so black or white, or blue or red, that there is minimal chance that there could be any agreement on something but rather a race to attack. I think the original intention of this board was off topic discussion. But in reality, it’s just off topic attacks/arguments.

Carry on!
Yes, I was not calling out anyone. Just posing a question. It’s one thing to pay our players on the back to take a stand, but the minute it effects a W or L, and fandom, it’s treated differently even though it’s just another example of taking a stand.

Initial post didn’t call anyone a hypocrite but asked the question whether there should be consistency or inconsistency (though hypocritical implied something).

Yea, it was the part that he implied people need to view taking a vaccine and taking a public stand during the BLM marches last year equally or they are hypocrites.

It’s a silly comparison. People will take stands that are good and bad, and we don’t need to praise or criticize them just because they took a stand. We can actually tak about the actual single stand they took in the context of what it is without trying to call others hypocrites.

my simple observation is that some are so black or white, or blue or red, that there is minimal chance that there could be any agreement on something but rather a race to attack. I think the original intention of this board was off topic discussion. But in reality, it’s just off topic attacks/arguments.

Carry on!

To be fair, there has been a lot of bickering here over the years but also a decent amount of fair/decent discussion as well. The attacks and arguments are a more recent phenomenon.

It’s a silly comparison. People will take stands that are good and bad, and we don’t need to praise or criticize them just because they took a stand. We can actually tak about the actual single stand they took in the context of what it is without trying to call others hypocrites.
We don't need to criticize or praise, but people do. And that was the point of my original post. If you are going to be one of those people, than should you be consistent.

Now feel free to "nail" me if that's what makes you happy.

We don't need to criticize or praise, but people do. And that was the point of my original post. If you are going to be one of those people, than should you be consistent.

These are wildly different issues and you can and should look at each issue on it's own. We don't need to praise a decision, good or bad, just because it was a decision to be consistent.

You say our players were rightfully lauded here, but you criticized LeBron for taking a stand on the same issue. I think you're correct on both counts there but that's because there was nuance in each instance. You aren't being hypocritical, you are looking at each event individually... as you should.

Reactions: SHUSA
These are wildly different issues and you can and should look at each issue on it's own. We don't need to praise a decision, good or bad, just because it was a decision to be consistent.

You say our players were rightfully lauded here, but you criticized LeBron for taking a stand on the same issue. I think you're correct on both counts there but that's because there was nuance in each instance. You aren't being hypocritical, you are looking at each event individually... as you should.
Once again you missed the point or you didn't read my reply. We don't need to praise, but people do and they did under the guise of taking a stance....is that hard to grasp?

And my comparison was strictly with the team and now you bring LeBron into the discussion? What does that have to do with the Seton Hall basketball team and my original post?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT