ADVERTISEMENT

Taunting?

Nbnylon

Senior
Apr 30, 2019
I was watching the Duke at NC game last night and at one point Bacot backs down Filipowski and scores on him . He the proceeds to give him the “too small” gesture at which point his teammates on the court do the same and some even do it with a foot stomping the “too small person” followed by the bench doing the same thing. The entire team is literally ridiculing Filipowski for getting scored on. How is this not taunting within the rule?

NCAA Basketball 2012-13 Rulebook

Rule 10 –
Fouls and Penalties

Section 5 (Men) CLASS A Unsporting Technical Infractions

Article 1 A player or substitute committing an unsportsmanlike act including, but not limited to, the following:

b. Using profanity or vulgarity; taunting, baiting or ridiculing another player or bench personnel; or pointing a finger at or making obscene gestures toward another player or bench personnel.

c. Inciting undesirable crowd reaction.

So Jack 1970 you wandered off here a bit. Regardless of Bacot's age etc. was there taunting is the point of this post.

Bacot makes more money in college than he will ever make professionally. That's why he's still around. Sad sign of the times. And yes it is taunting. Bench warning and subsequent technical.

I would agree it is taunting and action should be taken.
I think a taunting rule is stupid. If anything a player does on the court is over the top or unacceptable to the ref, call a t.

The flopping rule is stupid too. A guy driving can yell out or fall on purpose to make it look like they got fouled.

We have had our "issues" too. Lots of schools have. Coach k had 2 of the prime suspects.
That's what phased me. I was expecting it from Duke. Players do act in the moment, I get that (our player punching the Cuse player in the groin) but seeing the whole bench act like that? I can understand the student section, but not the players.

Reactions: Nbnylon
Stop. He didn't do it in his face. He did it walking away. If that is taunting so is every gesture in the game after a play. The 3 point celebrations, the hanging on the rim. The flexing the bicep. Is this board this much of a bunch of snowflakes? Weren't people complaining when the NFL was banning celebrations calling it the No Fun League? It is literally no different than getting an and one and flexing to the cameras. Besides anything you can do to crap on Duke is acceptable.

Stop. He didn't do it in his face. He did it walking away. If that is taunting so is every gesture in the game after a play. The 3 point celebrations, the hanging on the rim. The flexing the bicep. Is this board this much of a bunch of snowflakes? Weren't people complaining when the NFL was banning celebrations calling it the No Fun League? It is literally no different than getting an and one and flexing to the cameras. Besides anything you can do to crap on Duke is acceptable.
Flexing for the camera is not directed at 1 player. In this case the entire team joined in and ridiculed 1 player. It is way overboard.

Not one looked in the Duke player’s direction. They were doing it as a team to eachother. I live in NC and they do it regularly when he gets an And1.

Not looking in his direction? So we are to take that as we do not know exactly who it was directed at? Of course it was directed at Filipowski.

That’s fine though in another 2 years Filipowski can return the “too small” gesture to Bacot when they compare w-2’s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT