ADVERTISEMENT

Team forfeits after girls basketball player allegedly hurt in play with male who identifies as female

I didn't think that was a loaded term, honestly. So if that's the way people are hearing it, I will stop using the term.
I don't think you should stop using, it's just a term, just wanted to point out the hypocrisy.

Wokeness is just another term for far left/liberal/progressive.

It was a rhetorical question that @sussexcopirate missed. The term was coined long ago, apparently, but usurped by the political left over the last 10-15 years. Now that the right is using it mockingly, it's a problem. Sussex County is a hell of a place to live if you're woke.

Thanks for the background. Sussex county is a beautiful place. As for the term work, I think it has been greatly overused, rendering it essentially meaningless.

Thanks for the background. Sussex county is a beautiful place. As for the term work, I think it has been greatly overused, rendering it essentially meaningless.
I agree, love Sussex. When someone uses the word "woke," I know precisely what they're getting at. Agree on the overuse.

I didn't think that was a loaded term, honestly. So if that's the way people are hearing it, I will stop using the term.

I think the problem with it is that if you espouse even moderate right views, you're "far right" to many. Similarly, if you're Catholic, you're "the religious right," when that term used to be reserved for evangelicals, who went for Trump in 2 elections, while the Catholic vote did not.

There's no context anymore (and none of this is your fault!). For instance, when I see that someone graduated from SHU in the 60's, grew up in Jersey City, I understand what kind of Democrat that person is likely to be (because that was my family), compared with what the Democratic Party has become. "Liberals" and "conservatives" didn't used to be derogatory terms!

Reactions: shu09
I think the problem with it is that if you espouse even moderate right views, you're "far right" to many. Similarly, if you're Catholic, you're "the religious right," when that term used to be reserved for evangelicals, who went for Trump in 2 elections, while the Catholic vote did not.

There's no context anymore (and none of this is your fault!). For instance, when I see that someone graduated from SHU in the 60's, grew up in Jersey City, I understand what kind of Democrat that person is likely to be (because that was my family), compared with what the Democratic Party has become. "Liberals" and "conservatives" didn't used to be derogatory terms!
We have become a society where the ignorant need to put people in one of two boxes. Independent thought has no place. When someone lists those labels in their post to attack a point of view, it speaks to their inability to have an intelligent conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT