ADVERTISEMENT

The Assistant Coaches

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Of all our profiles this will be the most difficult one as much of what the staff does is not seen by the general public. To a degree I also have to rate the coaches based on what I am told as opposed to what I have seen.

With that thought in mind I will grade the staff's contributions last season with a B+

Strengths: First and foremost a staff is rated on their recruiting. When Willard first hired his new staff at the Hall that was clearly a weakness with most originally noting it probably was the worst in the league.

It took time and by no means is the current staff at the top of the conference yet but they have made great strides. This past season each coach was responsible for bringing in a high quality player. Fred Hill with Cale, Grant Billmeier with Mamu and Shaheen Holloway with Walker and assists with both Cale and Mamu.

Behind the scenes Holloway works mostly with the guards and the job he did with Madison Jones last season was special. In fact Holloway has been doing an amazing job with the guards at the Hall for some time now.

Billmeier, the new man of the staff works with the big man exclusively. I have watched him and the energy he showed as a player is the same as it is now as a coach. Because of his size he's able to play against the players so he gets a chance to more than explain what he wants he actually can go MM with them and show them what he wants.

Billmeier as I have noted here before is a favorite of his players. They love and respect him for his work ethic.

Hill is the 'old man' of the group. In his day he was one of the best local coaches in the recruiting game. He still has some 'heat' there but not to the same degree.

Hill doesn't have a specific group of players he works out instead imparting his wisdom gained over the many years coaching in his career to the entire roster.

Weaknesses:
Until this past season Billmeier hadn't really brought in a player yet but his work with Mamu was exceptional and despite the player's rating of 3 stars and top 125 or so it's very possible that Sandro is better than that because he basically never played AAU ball and was not seen by those that rate the players in their class.

Also, until this season Fred Hill had not brought in a high quality player. That all changed with Myles Cale.

Still although each did an excellent job until they follow up with more high D1 recruits it's certainly reasonable to question them moving forward.

Bottom Line: It looks like the staff is starting to solidify their positions. Billmeier, young is now leading the way with The Patrick School's star big man Manuel and the 4 star player, favoring the Hall will be an excellent catch if he commits.

Holloway, our lead recruiter is involved with a plethora of highly rated 2018 recruits including about 5 or so 4-5 star players with the likelihood that he'll corral at least one or two of them.

Finally add Hill and his major contacts. Hill will aid and assist with Carey from Montclair Immaculate and with the Hudson Catholic kids as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News