ADVERTISEMENT

THE HALL ADDS NICOLE JIMENEZ FOR 2017-18

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
_N1_0765.jpg

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. – The Seton Hall women's basketball team and head coach Anthony Bozzella have announced the signing of junior college standout Nicole Jimenez (Miami, Fla.) for the upcoming 2017-18 season. Jimenez will be eligible immediately as a junior following graduation from Broward College.

image_handler.aspx

Jimenez joins a class that includes highly-touted incoming freshmen Kimi Evans (Jackson, N.J.) and Selena Philoxy (Brooklyn, N.Y.). In November, All Star Girls Report ranked The Hall's incoming class best in the BIG EAST and top-50 in the nation.

Before SHU: Spent two seasons at Broward College (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) of the NJCAA…two time FSCAA/NJCAA Region VIII All-State and First Team All-Southern Conference at Broward…as a sophomore, ranked 17th in the NJCAA with 19.2 points per game, ninth in steals per game (3.4) and 20th in assists per game (5.0)…as a freshman, went for 15.5 points and 4.2 assists per game while ranking 27th in the NJCAA with a 40.3 percent mark from 3-point range…led Broward to a 43-13 record in her two years with the program…in high school, was a two-time All-Dade First Team performer at Florida Christian.

Bozzella on Jimenez: "Cole is an example of a player that may be overlooked because of their size but has consistently shown throughout her career that she is not to be taken lightly as a scorer or a defender. We are looking forward to the competition she will bring to our guard position and think that she has the ability to be a star on both ends of the floor right away. Cole can really score the basketball."

Stay tuned to SHUPirates.com for additional updates throughout the offseason.

http://www.shupirates.com/news/2017...the-hall-adds-nicole-jimenez-for-2017-18.aspx

Reactions: BabyBlue
That's a good class coming in. Hopefully, we can get back on track this year.

Welcome Nicole!

But I thought we also added that PG from Hutch CC? Why is she not in the write up?

Welcome Nicole!

But I thought we also added that PG from Hutch CC? Why is she not in the write up?
Tony has already done his interview with us. In it he profiles every new player in depth. The delay in our posting the Q&A is that he is hoping to get a commitment from a young lady who is deciding today. If she commits to the Hall that info will be added to the story.

Reactions: shupat08
Last edited:
She could potentially be a very good one-year player. Very experienced. Very well coached. She played and started for two seasons for a very successful team. They were 24-8 this past season and 23-12 during her first season at Temple.

(She transferred to Temple from Georgia Tech.)

However, she was injured late in the season and missed the last several games. She did not play in her conference tournament nor in the NCAA. I'm sure her team missed her contributions during a one point first round loss to Oregon.

Her stats from temple this past season...

29mpg, 14.1ppg, 7.5rpg, 77% FT, 35% 3PT & 41.5 % FG

Philoxy (FR), Evans (FR), Jimenez (JR), Butina (JR) and Fountain (SR).

Heck of a comeback class for Lauren & Tony!!!

Reactions: buzzershot
With the addition of the two JUCO's in Jiminez and Butina and now the addition of Fountain, a graduate senior SH has 14 ships committed and 1 ship still open. The 2017 class was to be a small one but with all the transfers is now a five person class consisting of two freshman , a post in 6'4" Evans and a 6'2 F in Philoxy , two JUCO,s , both guards and a graduate senior also a guard. Tony and staff tap all three pools of talent in recruiting this class, HS, JUCO and a graduate transfer.

With the addition of the two JUCO's in Jiminez and Butina and now the addition of Fountain, a graduate senior SH has 14 ships committed and 1 ship still open. The 2017 class was to be a small one but with all the transfers is now a five person class consisting of two freshman , a post in 6'4" Evans and a 6'2 F in Philoxy , two JUCO,s , both guards and a graduate senior also a guard. Tony and staff tap all three pools of talent in recruiting this class, HS, JUCO and a graduate transfer.

I'd even say the grad xfer is a "wing" at 6'0 or 6'1. Depending how SHU plays and against who. Fountain can play 3 or 4. She's a heck of a rebounder, blocks shots and gets steals on top of her shooting and scoring. Versatility. Like Tab.

I'd leave the last ship open or get a legit transfer who needs to sit for a season.

Reactions: Pirate64

80, your last comment is exactly what has heartened the few of us rabid supporters even despite a bad year. They go and get players. It will really be a better team this coming year.

If the coaching staff can do this after such a horrendous season, can you imagine what recruiting will be like if this team lives up to its potential? One must say they've built up a lot of good will and a great reputation prior to last season.

They are deep from 1-5. I don't think there will be huge drop-off when starters are on the bench- a significant weakness last season.

Nobody has to play 35-plus MPG and get worn down by mid-February. Aside from PG, most players will likely be ready to play at least two positions.

So let's hope they live up to their potential. Next season really starts now.

Go Pirates!

4 deep at PG. gojng to be a dog eat dog position.

If you don't listen to coach you don't play. If you play selfishly you don't play. If you play with low BBIQ you don't play. Wow.

As for 2018, the only names I've seen mentioned as targets are Grace Stone from LI Lutheran and Jenna Annecchiarico from Baldwin HS.

Anybody else?

If you don't listen to coach you don't play. If you play selfishly you don't play. If you play with low BBIQ you don't play. Wow.
I have to believe they'll go 9-10 deep with the minutes. There are just too many good players with experience to go with a short rotation. But anything is possible.

Both points can also play the 2.

Both JUCOs appear to be descent shooters. But we'll see what happens against much better defense.

Both shooting from range over 40% for 2 seasons. But also with outrageous assist averages for 2 years.

Fountain also a legit 3pt shooter.

And Ty Smith seems to be a very good shooter.

Last year we had almost no shooters.

Fountain and Philoxy and Evans are also rebounders. Especially Fountain has proven it at the high D1 level. Brown also seems to be a good rebounder.

Last year we had almost no rebounders.

Plus we are adding 4 players 6'0 or taller to next years roster, Brown, Evans, Philoxy, Fountain.

Last edited:
You guys are really going to enjoy the Tony Bozzella interview. At least after it takes me about 100 hours to edit it. :eek::eek::eek:

Boy can our coach talk. Just a great guy and representative of the Hall.

You guys are really going to enjoy the Tony Bozzella interview. At least after it takes me about 100 hours to edit it. :eek::eek::eek:

Boy can our coach talk. Just a great guy and representative of the Hall.
Have you thought about posting video interviews? All you really need is a phone and a mic and it can look AND SOUND professional.

Take this for what it's worth: I overheard two people who spend much of their winter avidly following a certain Shore girls basketball team talk about how a certain post player from that school heading to a certain college in NJ doesn't have nearly enough quickness to be a successful college player.

Is it accurate? I have absolutely no idea. But I'd keep it in mind when creating future expectations.

Take this for what it's worth: I overheard two people who spend much of their winter avidly following a certain Shore girls basketball team talk about how a certain post player from that school heading to a certain college in NJ doesn't have nearly enough quickness to be a successful college player.

Is it accurate? I have absolutely no idea. But I'd keep it in mind when creating future expectations.
Watch this video and I think you'll conclude those comments are total BS. She moves very well for her size, she has good hands and a soft touch, moves well with and without the ball, played for a great team and she can REBOUND.

A star as a freshman? Perhaps not, but can definitely be a contributor right away.

7 players 6'0 or taller. Another at 5'11 and 3 more 5'8 or taller.

Only 3 players under 5'8.

Reactions: Halldan1
Just saying to maybe go easy with the expectations.... you're looking at a video and saying the opinions of people who've seen her dozens of times in person as fans of her team are BS. Maybe they'll be proved wrong, but what they say is certainly worth keeping in mind.

Just saying to maybe go easy with the expectations.... you're looking at a video and saying the opinions of people who've seen her dozens of times in person as fans of her team are BS. Maybe they'll be proved wrong, but what they say is certainly worth keeping in mind.
I was only countering the comment that she's not going to be a successful college player. That's a heck of tag to hit on anybody. I believe it's ridiculous. It's as if they're saying the girl will remain a high school senior for the next four years. She's not going to get better... as if she's not going to get faster, quicker, stronger, smarter and her game is not going to develop over the months and years.

As for expectations, I agree with you. The potential is there, but anything can happen. They could be a total flop because they cannot achieve team chemistry and/or due to multiple factors. Seven players will be eligible for the first time. Several will probably get lots of minutes. So that's a challenge that hopefully the coaches and the players can handle.

There's a lot of work ahead for the coaches, the players and the TEAM. We'll see.

That's a lot of offensive firepower. And a few girls with needed fire in their bellies. Don't get used to what happened last season. That was a blip on the radar.

Plus Tony's looking at a few big time recruits for 2018 already.

That's a lot of offensive firepower. And a few girls with needed fire in their bellies. Don't get used to what happened last season. That was a blip on the radar.

Plus Tony's looking at a few big time recruits for 2018 already.
This is likely the deepest and most talented roster they've ever had. As others have stated, there will be lots of competition for minutes at every spot.

That's a great point. No one with the exception of a couple of the young ladies is going to be guaranteed anything. You will have to earn your stripes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT