ADVERTISEMENT

The NY Giants Draft Picks

NYC Pirate

All World
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2007
Not sure what they are doing by not picking an offensive lineman or linebacker. First 2 picks make sense but.QB in the 3rd round??? They are not addressing their biggest need??

I agree. Reese does not seem to acknowledge that the team actually has LBs. And we can add all the weapons we want but if you can't protect the QB it doesn't matter. I'm ok with the first two rounds but a project QB in the 3rd? If we were not so overly concerned about character we'd have Tunsil and Reuben Foster on the team.

Not sure what they are doing by not picking an offensive lineman or linebacker. First 2 picks make sense but.QB in the 3rd round??? They are not addressing their biggest need??

Very weak year for OL. Picking OLine just to have bodies is a waste

Nothing will change as long as Reese and Ross are running the show when it comes to the linebacker position. As usual Reese and Ross drafted Webb way too high just the way Reese has overpaid for his free agents the past two off seasons. The first two picks were at a position of need and look ok.

It's just more of the same. Basketball on grass as Marc Ross put it one time. I do not think this will work long term. They had a surprisingly good season last year where the defense played out of its mind and at least accounted for 3 wins on an 11-5 team. The offense was one of the worst in the league because they were predictable and unbalanced, making them so easy to defend.

From Reese to McAdoo, they want to spread it and put the ball in the air, ala Green Bay. Green Bay has the same predictable tendencies, which is why they have struggled at times in recent years, even with Rodgers. And unfortunately Eli is not Rodgers (nor Brady).

Eli has done very well adjusting to this offense, but at his best with a running game and play action passing from under center. When McAdoo was OC under Coughlin, there was still a push for balance. You still had blocking TE's, fullbacks, and so forth. The personnel wasn't good enough, but that was the blend. Once McAdoo took over, that was scrapped and it became all throwing. You saw the results last year.

McAdoo has had a thin skin about this all year, even throwing the 2-time SB MVP under the bus this offseason (McAdoo is about as charismatic as a rock, btw). They are adamant to stay in the "11" personnel and now run Engram up the middle to combat the 2-high safety look that plagued them last year. Most teams beat that with a running game, lol. They do not want to run like that. Engram is not an NFL TE. This is another slot WR.

Reactions: Section112
Looked at some highlights of him and I just don't see the Eli replacement. Completely
baffled by not adding at minimum depth players to the OL or linebacking units.

They say he's not playing for 3 years. So why not use your number 1 or 2 next year to get
a better QB than this??

Reactions: anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t
Why did they take Nassib with a 4th? Who knows why they do the things they do. I was hoping he would've moved up to take Bolles (best OT in the draft) or Howard (best TE in the draft, a legit, two-way TE). When he didn't, either Foster or Ramczyk or Cam Robinson at 23. He could've gotten Engram later.

Engram is a fast, narrow receiver, not a blocker whatsoever. Brandon Marshall would be a more prototypical TE than Engram. He's good, just not a TE.

The 2nd Round pick was a good one, a need with Hankins gone.

Last edited:
Jerry Raanan of ESPN said it well when he wrote that Reese's rigidity in the draft costs the Giants and noted that in the 11 drafts since he's been the GM he has never traded up or down in the first round and in his 72 other picks he has never traded down. Last year his rigidity caused the Giants by not trading up for OL Conklin who had an outstanding rookie season . And this year Howard was there if he traded up and could have got the best TE in the draft. Nothing will change as long as Mara and Tisch have blinders on with respect to Reese and to a lesser extent with Ross.

Last edited:
Imagine Conklin and Howard? Lol.

Meanwhile look how Cowboys rebuilt. Or what Skins are doing. Or how Coughlin is rebuilding Jags. Inside out. Reese goes outside in.

Reactions: Section112
Looked at some highlights of him and I just don't see the Eli replacement. Completely

They say he's not playing for 3 years. So why not use your number 1 or 2 next year to get
a better QB than this??

That's a huge assumption that there will be a qb better than this when they pick next year

Imagine Conklin and Howard? Lol.

Meanwhile look how Cowboys rebuilt. Or what Skins are doing. Or how Coughlin is rebuilding Jags. Inside out. Reese goes outside in.

And the 'Skins?? Lol! That team is a disaster from ownership down

RB Wayne Gallman from Clemson in 4th round. Seems like
a solid pick. No issues with this one.
Wayne is a good pick for the 4th round. Hard runner who can run between the tackles. Very good pass catcher and runner and blocker too. Tough kid who can do it all and can break a long run or two as well. Does not have breakaway speed but a guy who could fit perfectly in McAdoos offense. So far I'm happy with this pick and the DT in the second round. When I think without moving up we could have had Tunsil and Foster it just upsets me. Reese sucks

In some respects, the difference makers are found in the after-draft signing of non-drafted players.

a better QB than this??
Probably another Ryan Nassib, great value, but will he ever see the field and contribute?

a better QB than this??

NYC Pirate
The question I see is why use a 3rd round pick on a player who " might " take three years to develop and even then he's not viewed as a top tier QB.

I'm a Giant fan and have no issues with the draft. Their receivers + Engram should create mismatches and single coverage that Eli can exploit. McAdoo likes a quick-pass offense which they now have better personnel to run.

Obviously Flowers is a problem, but aside from Bolles (maybe) I don't think there was a plug and play left tackle who would automatically be better. Now with the better weapons, I hope Eli can get the ball out quicker and that *should* help matters. The defense is so filthy, so we're not talking about needing to put up 30 a game to win.

As for Davis Webb, if they like him I'm all for taking a shot there on a replacement for Eli in a few years. He has talent, so take a swing.

Go ask a Jet fan if they'd like to have Jerry Reese... LOL

What good are weapons if Eli is on his ass all game & they still can't run the ball.

It's kind of scary that the Giants and other teams feel that there aren't enough guys that can play on the offensive line at the NFL level. Think of how many college teams there are? So the Giants felt except for 2 or 3 guys they could not improve their offensive line in the first 200'players chosen? At that's a real indictment of how these kids are being coached. I know they added the kid from Pitt in the 6th round. There will be very little margin for error as far as injury is concerned

I don't believe the Giants had a bad draft though.

It's kind of scary that the Giants and other teams feel that there aren't enough guys that can play on the offensive line at the NFL level.

This sums it up pretty well. While Giants fans were hoping for a starting OL, they just weren't there. Other teams felt the same way. I suspect that in three or four years we'll find that there are a few solid linemen from this class who were undrafted, and played for 'small' programs. hopefully, the Giants find one of them.

The Giants had a brutal offense last season. Literally one of the worst in the league. Couldn't score, couldn't run, sat in "11" 90% of the time. Woeful.

By every analysis their 11-5 record was a shock with only a +26 point differential. They were carried by an outstanding defense and won on razor-thin margins. That type of season will not repeat itself.

They were held back by terribly inept play at OL and TE, especially on the edges. I do not think they did enough to address that, which is hard to believe. Pair that with the schedule and you're looking at a step back this year, IMO.

OL: Pugh, Richburg, and Jerry are solid across the middle of that line. Last season the Giants tackles were ranked 57th (Flowers) and 67th (Hart). Their incoming OL D.J. Fluker from San Diego was 54th at his position of guard. That's terrible. All of those players are going to be miraculously coached up? And where's the depth?

TE: The TE (Tye) was 61st in his position class. Their incoming blocking TE Rhett Ellison from Minnesota was 32nd overall and 21st in run blocking, so that should help when he's on the field. He filled that role for the Vikings alongside their Kyle Rudolph.

Piratz
You're so right on all your points , especially about the OL. What continues to baffle me is how Mara and Tisch continue to allow Reese and Ross to ignore the OL position. What is even more puzzling is that Reese trained under Accorsi who understood the value of having an OL that could both run and pass block. I guess Reese must have cut those classes.

Also remarkable to me is they draft a QB in the 3rd Round and had never spoken to him during the process. Amazing.

Very bizarre unless they feel Eli has less time left.

Where do they go for O line help now? Hopefully an Undrafted college player can make the roster and provide dept. Mind boggling not drafting at least 2 guys. They gave up their 7th round pick to move up and get the Pitt kid in the 6th.

I do feel the defense is going g to be even better this season. You can trade later on in the season for a difference maker but usually not on the OL.

Pugh is the only I lineman that's above avg. Fluker might just be their 2nd best. Sad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT