ADVERTISEMENT

The So Important Butler Game

NYC Pirate

All World
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2007
Some would call this a Must game and others might not. Without question Seton Hall needs this one. No excuses and the crowd including the students better be dialed in. Butler is desperate and dangerous. They are well coached and have a good deal of talent. Their starting five are all capable of putting up strong point production. They certainly bring a certain confidence with them on the road.

The good news is that they haven't really put up a huge number of points in their road games, usually in the 60's especially during conference play. The only deviation was the upset at Creighton, where they put up 99 in a perfect offensive game on a college level. They also had 75 at Providence, but that was an OT game.

For Seton Hall they must play one of their top-notch defensive games. Aside from Rutgers at home and the Providence game the team puts up surprisingly nice numbers at home. So, if they can just be on par offensively and play a Sha expected level of defense, The Hall should be OK. Every team puts up around 10 three point made shots against SHU, but they have been able to overcome that at least at home. The key is to keep Butler off the line, that's very important this time. Khadary just needs to lead and doesn't have to overdo it. Dawes is 13 for his last 28 from three (46%) Hopefully, Addae-Wusu can somehow get back on track. He's 4 for his last 31 from three (13%). He is helping out in other ways though. Davis and Bediako play well at The Rock. The bench players also seem to relax at home. So, Coleman, EHE and Sanders must add to the equation on Saturday night. Get this one, take two shots on the road for marquee wins and then it's time to settle the score with Villanova.

WUSU 4 for 31, he has been a disaster. I don't know why he keeps hoisting them with supreme confidence either. I would love to see Coleman play over him

I would like the first 4-5 possessions to not include a Wusu 3. I think that came in the first 1-2 possessions the last 3 games and try to guess how many went in.

At least he has a better percentage on layups (well, not so sure).

• Haha
Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
HAVE to limit turnovers and second chance shots and stay out of foul trouble. If we do even 2 out of the 3, then our chances are good for a win.

WUSU 4 for 31, he has been a disaster. I don't know why he keeps hoisting them with supreme confidence either. I would love to see Coleman play over him
No, but I would like to see him not take 3’s, and rather create for other players.

His value is a lot of the intangibles and non scoring stats, like deflections and frankly how he can wear his direct opponent down thru his physicality.

So I’m not sure he should be replaced in the starting lineup, he should definitely be reigned in on the 3’s.

I just want to see our starters hit their marks and then the bench players to contribute on both ends of the floor. First, Khadary has to stay away from early foul trouble. It's imperative for him to play big minutes. You want to see Dawes and Khadary combine for about 35 points or so. Davis in that 14 point area, Bediako 10, Addae-Wusu at least his usual 8 points.

As for the bench reserves at least 10-12 combined. On the road that's tough for this group, but at home they play better. They must play tough defense though. Seton Hall is a very tough team to beat at home when putting up those numbers.

Don’t want to see us come out hoisting 3s. Get to the basket early and often.

A win here and we’re in firm control over Butler for a bid

Reactions: HallGuy23
No, but I would like to see him not take 3’s, and rather create for other players.

His value is a lot of the intangibles and non scoring stats, like deflections and frankly how he can wear his direct opponent down thru his physicality.
So I’m not sure he should be replaced in the starting lineup, he should definitely be reigned in on the 3’s.

I think this thread cinches it. Wusu 3 for 6 from 3!
We certainly hope so. Law of averages are with him. Maybe a slight technical issue? Love to see Sanders make one too. Those points can make a difference for this game and the rest of the season.

Reactions: halltheway
We certainly hope so. Law of averages are with him. Maybe a slight technical issue? Love to see Sanders make one too. Those points can make a difference for this game and the rest of the season.
Yes Wusu missing from three is defintely a slight technical issue. Specifically,the issue is he has a terrible shot

Based on his 3 pt % the previous 2 years I'd say it's definitely a technical/confidence issue that needs to get fixed quickly. Can't have your SF shooting 28% from 3.

Reactions: Piratz
One thing you notice with Butler is when they need a basket, they go right to Telfort in an iso situation near the paint or Brooks on the wing for a three. Telfort is like their version of Dre Davis. If you sleep on Brooks out on the perimeter, he'll hurt you. They do like to use those two plays out of timeouts.

Reactions: SOpirate
I think this thread cinches it. Wusu 3 for 6 from 3!

Yes Wusu missing from three is defintely a slight technical issue. Specifically,the issue is he has a terrible shot

Based on his 3 pt % the previous 2 years I'd say it's definitely a technical/confidence issue that needs to get fixed quickly. Can't have your SF shooting 28% from 3.
Now would be a great time for a stat correction for Wusu. It would make The Hall a different team. He’s really struggling this year.

2PT/3PT

2023-24: .384/.283
2022-23: .478/.364
2021-22: .465/.381

One thing you notice with Butler is when they need a basket, they go right to Telfort in an iso situation near the paint or Brooks on the wing for a three. Telfort is like their version of Dre Davis. If you sleep on Brooks out on the perimeter, he'll hurt you. They do like to use those two plays out of timeouts.
We stopped telfort and davis last time. Hope we do it again. Tough game tonight

At BU, SHU made eight 3s in the first half with 3 by Wusu and two by Sanders. Great start then but not counting on it tonight. Of course we missed all our 2nd half 3s and had to win the game the hard way, inside the paint and with toughness. Here’s hoping.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT