ADVERTISEMENT

How Seton Hall Can Win

NYC Pirate

All World
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2007
There are two versions of Seton Hall. The team that plays at home and the one that really struggles on the road. Thankfully, this one is at Prudential. This is a very winnable game. Villanova is playing much better and their win at Providence was impressive. Since their 5-game losing streak, they are 6-2. They are playing solid defense but are averaging just 62 points per game on the road as opposed to 73 at home in those 8 games.

I believe SHU must not allow Brendan Hausen to have a big game off the bench. Along with the improved play of Justin Moore, he has been a catalyst in Villanova's upswing. Seton Hall must swarm Villanova and come out with the energy they had at home against Xavier and Butler. This has to be a top-notch defensive effort. I think you live with Dixon scoring his points, but try to limit the rest of the Nova guys on the perimeter. On the flip side Seton Hall has averaged 79 points per game at HOME in conference play. Our guy's love playing at home and that could be the difference. The core guys need to show up. I think Dawes goes off and is the difference. If Addae-Wusu is not scoring he still has to do all the other things that are vital. Also, the bench guys have to contribute something. Coleman has to play with smarts and score where he can. Bediako has to show some anger and finish his plays. So important that WE the fans do our part too. We have to be into it from the start. Sha and the coaching staff better have them ready!! This is not Grandma's Villanova. Overwhelm and Crush them!!

i think we might be at the point where the way to win is more related to how Nova plays

Basically just opposite of the game in Philly.

Nova is going to use that pack line defense type. Hope we learned how to attack it by moving it. Taking 30 3PA with 11 from Richmond and Addae-Wusu again ain’t gunna cut it. We’ll get blown out.

Reactions: Section112
Use the Xavier game template on offense. The passing was crisp and the ball wasn't touching the ground. Khadary has to dribble hard and dish. You can't be that deliberate against Villanova. Bediako has to make quicker decisions.. He should consider passing the ball out if they converge on him. Anything fewer than 10 made threes by Villanova is a huge success. Try to lure Dixon into foul trouble. Make it impossible for Hausen.

Reactions: Fishjam
Use the Xavier game template on offense. The passing was crisp and the ball wasn't touching the ground. Khadary has to dribble hard and dish. You can't be that deliberate against Villanova. Bediako has to make quicker decisions.. He should consider passing the ball out if they converge on him. Anything fewer than 10 made threes by Villanova is a huge success. Try to lure Dixon into foul trouble. Make it impossible for Hausen.
And it wouldn't hurt if Dawes hit 2 threes to start game.

I was typing something similar. The Xavier game gives me hope. They packed it in against us and we got blown out at their place by not moving the ball.

Then after the Nova debacle, they came out focused and played their best offensive game of the year and destroyed X at Prudential. Excellent movement without the ball and great passing led to a team-high 21 assists. Have to bring that type of teamwork and movement.

Defensively it's about not ball watching, not doubling and limiting the 3s.

Kadary has to show up on D and not take plays off and leave his guy in the corner. He is the quintessential ball watcher. He's gotten into some really bad habits defensively. Our switching also hurts us sometimes and teams exploit that to get good matchups. We cannot over help and leave guys open - they can shoot. I'm OK with Dixon getting his points on the perimeter. Can't over react to that. I'd also like to see us move our feet a little more and stay in front instead of always going for the steal and getting burned. Have active hands in the passing lanes but stay in front. Fingers crossed this is for all the marbles tonight.

I was typing something similar. The Xavier game gives me hope. They packed it in against us and we got blown out at their place by not moving the ball.

Then after the Nova debacle, they came out focused and played their best offensive game of the year and destroyed X at Prudential. Excellent movement without the ball and great passing led to a team-high 21 assists. Have to bring that type of teamwork and movement.

This this this. How we play offense in big wins is totally different. The only way to do this with lack of shooting and teams that defend you as such is to move the ball and time up screens against packed defenses to create lanes. That’s patience and focus not just settling and chucking up 3’s like we did last time. For some reason our team struggles with this focus consistently.

We suck at defending the 3. I’m not expecting a miracle. Just don’t react to shot fakes and close out.

The two mantras tonight should be pass, pass, pass, and close out, close out, close out.

We have not shown any ability to limit 3 pointers. 8th in the BE in 3 point defense against the team that is ranked number 2 in 3 pointers made per game. They are also the top free throw team in the BE and one of the top in the nation.

So something has to change bigly for the Hall to pull this one out.

We have to prevent a big 'Nova break-out early. Hope I'm wrong, but have no reason to think our bench will contribute now.
Even when the Cats were struggling earlier, I thought they were a sleeping giant.
I see we are a 1.5 point pick. (If tonight's game were in Philly, they'd be picked by more.)

Kadary has to show up on D and not take plays off and leave his guy in the corner. He is the quintessential ball watcher. He's gotten into some really bad habits defensively. Our switching also hurts us sometimes and teams exploit that to get good matchups. We cannot over help and leave guys open - they can shoot. I'm OK with Dixon getting his points on the perimeter. Can't over react to that. I'd also like to see us move our feet a little more and stay in front instead of always going for the steal and getting burned. Have active hands in the passing lanes but stay in front. Fingers crossed this is for all the marbles tonight.
100%. Kadary's motivation from game to game is questionable.

He has the ability to be one of the most productive and disruptive defenders in the country and Sha gives him a lot of freedom playing as a Free Safety on the back end. When he's engaged he racks up steals and rebounds and uses his length to make it difficult to shoot over.

Many times he seems indifferent to playing defense and becomes a lazy ball watcher. Arms straight down, slow to close out and not communicating on switches.

We need Kadary. When he's engaged and motivated, we can be really tough. He's our most talented player on both ends. He usually comes to play at Home. In the BE he's scored 20+ in every game in Newark but 1 and its no coincidence we are 6-1.

Make Dixon play defense for one thing. Attack him and make him use his feet.
On defense he is slow to get into his move jump him with a double team and them rotate into the passing lanes

Reactions: Piratz
Make Dixon play defense for one thing. Attack him and make him use his feet.
On defense he is slow to get into his move jump him with a double team and them rotate into the passing lanes
Would love to see this happen. But Jaden gets only a few more touches in the post than me.

Play tough. Play smart. Move the ball. Use the whole court. Eliminate dumb passes.
Hands up on the close outs. The stuff we see when we play good.

A Dawes three, a Kadary drive, a Dre fallaway...

Last edited:
What is even more scary is that Dixon their center shoots 3 pointers at 35% besides being a major force down low. We don't have guards that shoot that well!

Reactions: Piratz
What is even more scary is that Dixon their center shoots 3 pointers at 35% besides being a major force down low. We don't have guards that shoot that well!
lol, 40% of our made 3’s comes from one player.

Reactions: Burnsly
KEEP turnovers to a minimum...no easy buckets.
Make foul shots.
Stay out of foul trouble.
Not asking the impossible.

Reactions: Burnsly
Nova has just signed much more than we do right now, At least 9-10 guys Dee. Moore playing well, how do you keep him out of the paint. They have 5 guys with NCAAT experience, two have been to a FF. Top 2 in 3s made per game. We have to play our best game and hope they‘re off from 3. I’m hopeful. Driving 1 1/2 hours in the rain to get there.

Oh boy. Maybe they’ll warn the student section again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT