ADVERTISEMENT

The starting 5

Short of injury anything other than that would constitute a surprise.

Clearly as they have already done that in 2016/17.

But your point is valid as I know you are saying with more regularity.

Pumped up for 2017-18 season!
jim-carey-the-mask-smokin.jpg

is there an available quality Post Grad point guard still out there or is that a dead issue?

Reactions: newshu1
Rothstein's starting-5 sounds right. Curious to see how much of an improvement Carrington can make after playing the point so often. I am sure there will be an improvement, just how much remains to be seen.

I would expect Walker to make great leaps throughout the season.

Love what Cale, Sandro, and Nzei can bring off the bench.

Then Call me stupid. A decent 5th yr is not what we need. If you have a really good pg then you go for it. But anybody available was mediocre and Walker will be able to not only do the job but excel. Just you see.

Agree. Save the ship for next season. Walker will be more than adequate during his freshman campaign.

Reactions: HallLine69
Once walker gets on campus and plays, he's got some time to show what he can do. We need someone who can break down the defense. That is not Khadeen. His defender beats him to his spot. He's better as an off the ball playmaker.

Agree. Save the ship for next season. Walker will be more than adequate during his freshman campaign.

If you sign a graduate senior you still will have his ship for next year so , in effect, you're saving that ship for next year AND getting a player with three years of college bb behind him. To me , if you can add a PG graduate senior who has BE caliber talent you lose nothing signing him this year.

If you sign a graduate senior you still will have his ship for next year so , in effect, you're saving that ship for next year AND getting a player with three years of college bb behind him. To me , if you can add a PG graduate senior who has BE caliber talent you lose nothing signing him this year.

I agree, but I don't see how anyone good enough to contribute on an NCAA team agrees to spend their last year fighting for 10-15 mpg. There are only so many minutes to go around and we already have 5 guards on the roster we need to keep happy.

Reactions: dcPirate
I agree, but I don't see how anyone good enough to contribute on an NCAA team agrees to spend their last year fighting for 10-15 mpg. There are only so many minutes to go around and we already have 5 guards on the roster we need to keep happy.

Unless they were on a team that never went to the tourney and their goal was to get there.

Once walker gets on campus and plays, he's got some time to show what he can do. We need someone who can break down the defense. That is not Khadeen. His defender beats him to his spot. He's better as an off the ball playmaker.
I don't know if I have ever disagreed with a post more than this one regarding not being able to break down a defense.

The past two years we added a post grad guard to a team with 2 guards. Now we have four who need to play. Big difference. Don't want another guard.

I would have loved Thorpe if angel left cause I think we would have played ton of three guard.

Then Call me stupid. A decent 5th yr is not what we need. If you have a really good pg then you go for it. But anybody available was mediocre and Walker will be able to not only do the job but excel. Just you see.
Youre not a 5th year senior are you? Read my comment.

I don't know if I have ever disagreed with a post more than this one regarding not being able to break down a defense.

There is an abundance of stuff in this thread to disagree with, but the Khadeen of 2017 was not the same as the guy who got to the hoop at will in the 2016 BET. He was a step slow last year, and there must have been some nagging injury, or just the abundance of minutes played, that accounts for the change.

As far as bringing in Thorpe or another 5th year PG, it made sense, given that Walker may not be ready, out of high school, to give us what MJ did last year. However, if KW and Sha thought that it would hurt chemistry, or if Walker's signing hinged on NOT bringing in another guard for him to sit behind, I'm going to trust their judgement.

There is an abundance of stuff in this thread to disagree with, but the Khadeen of 2017 was not the same as the guy who got to the hoop at will in the 2016 BET. He was a step slow last year, and there must have been some nagging injury, or just the abundance of minutes played, that accounts for the change.

As far as bringing in Thorpe or another 5th year PG, it made sense, given that Walker may not be ready, out of high school, to give us what MJ did last year. However, if KW and Sha thought that it would hurt chemistry, or if Walker's signing hinged on NOT bringing in another guard for him to sit behind, I'm going to trust their judgement.
Yes for those two reasons i would qlso agree. But a guy like thorpe would be dumb to not see the teams potential with all the pieces and 3 1000 pt scorers. Cant believe peopke are putting the idea down when madison jones worked fairly well lazt year. I know everyone would take him again.

Madison Jones was fine, acceptable, whatever you want to call it. He deserves credit.

However, this team needs more than what Jones provided at the point last year if it is going to achieve the lofty goals set by posters here.

Reactions: SPK145
Madison Jones was fine, acceptable, whatever you want to call it. He deserves credit.
However, this team needs more than what Jones provided at the point last year if it is going to achieve the lofty goals set by posters here.

Probably, but I'm not sure if Walker can give us more than that his first year
With Jones, we were a blown box out from the BET Finals, and a terrible last minute away from advancing to the round of 32. Neither was on Jones.

Lots of different views on using the last ship on a graduate senior especially one who is a point guard. This coming season will see the end of the core four and to me I would add that final piece to make it a memorable season and one that meets our lofty expectations and that is adding an experienced PG.

I got the sense KC was playing a half-step slower all season because he was uncomfortable. You could almost see him trying to figure out what to do with the ball when he had it; thinking, not playing.

Totally different than the free-and-easy play of 2015-16 when he did not have to take on additional responsibilities of a PG. There's such a difference between being an off-guard and handling the ball within an offense versus running the point.

I agree with this. It was far too sloppy. I believe KC will be improved now that he's played it and has the summer to work at it. It goes beyond A:T and more into what we see, such as getting the offense into movement quicker, no deer-in-headlights, etc.

Walker is the wild card. I think this kid is going to be a pleasant surprise.

I also hope our improved guard depth helps us defensively. We were not nearly as active last year compared to 2015-16 for multiple reasons. Our defensive turnover rate dropped significantly, which magnified the offensive turnovers.

I agree with your post as well as getting another guard. I do think we need to bring in one more guard with a bit of experience, for if no other reason than to take a bit of pressure off the freshman guard. I completely have a different outlook on this team with Angel now and what I would so love to see is more inside movement with the ball. I think now we have the horses to work inside and lets get away from the outside weave. It does nothing for getting the ball inside or breaking down the defense. I guess one of my questions is does Angel start developing an outside game? Seems that was what the scouts all seemed to point out. If Angel does move outside, then we certainly need someone moving in.

Madison Jones walked into a situation where we only had 2 legit guards (Powell and KC).

This year's team we have KC, Powell, Cale and Walker who will all be fighting for minutes with KC and Powell established in the rotation. To bring in a 5th guard who would want to play 15+ minutes a game does not make sense.

The PG and SG position have 80 total minutes... Let's just say that KC (32 mpg), Powell (25 mpg), Walker (15 mpg), Cale (8 mpg at SG and another 10 or so at SF). That's your 80. Gone real quick. Oh and btw we have Gordon as a Soph riding the pine.

Where does another established guard get minutes on this team?

What is curious is how little discussion there is on what Gordon will give us this coming season and what role they see him playing . If he's viewed as strictly a two guard then he has to be behind, Powell, Cale and KC . If he can give you minutes at the point then it gives us added depth where all we have is a converted two guard and a freshman who is not ready to start from day one.

I still think Carrington has more to offer than he has shown at the position. If he wants to make $ playing basketball, doesn't he have to prove he can play the point?

Madison Jones walked into a situation where we only had 2 legit guards (Powell and KC).

This year's team we have KC, Powell, Cale and Walker who will all be fighting for minutes with KC and Powell established in the rotation. To bring in a 5th guard who would want to play 15+ minutes a game does not make sense.

The PG and SG position have 80 total minutes... Let's just say that KC (32 mpg), Powell (25 mpg), Walker (15 mpg), Cale (8 mpg at SG and another 10 or so at SF). That's your 80. Gone real quick. Oh and btw we have Gordon as a Soph riding the pine.

Where does another established guard get minutes on this team?

You're not considering the minutes that become available when you run a three guard offense.

You're not considering the minutes that become available when you run a three guard offense.

I don't think Desi will be playing the 4 very much with Sandro (10 mpg at the 4), Ish (20 mpg)/Nzei (10 mpg with 8-10 mpg backing up Angel).

And Desi's not resting more than 8-10 minutes each game and I have already given those minutes to Cale.

Guys, we already have a LEGIT 9 man rotation for 5 positions on the court. Where are we getting another 15-20mpg for a 5th year grad transfer?

I think Thorpe would play over Walker. I love Walker and think he will end up being really good, but right now he's not better than an experienced 5th year transfer. Remember - Walker wanted to prep for a year.

I think Thorpe would play over Walker. I love Walker and think he will end up being really good, but right now he's not better than an experienced 5th year transfer. Remember - Walker wanted to prep for a year.

Walker wanted to Prep if he didn't get an offer from SHU.

And eventually you have to recruit for the present AND future. Not solely the present. Walker represents that.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Yes for those two reasons i would qlso agree. But a guy like thorpe would be dumb to not see the teams potential with all the pieces and 3 1000 pt scorers. Cant believe peopke are putting the idea down when madison jones worked fairly well lazt year. I know everyone would take him again.
But now you have Powell, who played well and is going to need/warrant more minutes. If Cale is as good as advertised, he is going to need major minutes too. With KC and now Walker, that is 80 minutes among 4 guys... Desi is going to warrant ~30 minutes a game as well, so maximum you have 90 minutes among those 4 guys.

As has also been noted on this site many times as well, Willard hasn't historically done well when he has too many pieces to worry about minutes etc (even without promises). With his talent level, KC is going to play 30+ minutes right off the top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT