ADVERTISEMENT

The Top 20 - St Peter's

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

I was not going to do this when not in person and yesterday I had to miss the game as I have come down with the flu. But what the heck.....

In no particular order

1. In a word.
Relentless. Many of us thought that Holloway would take his foot off the gas late in a rout. He did not. His team played with passion for 40 minutes despite having a +40 point lead.

2. Mason Jarred?
St Peter's coach refused to attend the post game press conference despite the request from the media. Instead comments were relayed via a St Peter's messenger.

3. Rivalry Renewal.
It's been four years since these two rivals have played each other. That was 100% on Kevin Willard who refused to play Holloway. Friction anyone?

4. The Right Stuff.
The next time KC Ndefo goes left will be the first time KC Ndefo goes left.

5. Bring back the 45 second clock.
Really, 6 shot clock violations!

6. Maybe they are FREE throw's after all.
The Davis brother 15-16.

7. Deflections.
Who gets more per game Richmond or Ndefo?

8. Treasure Chest.
OK, here's the deal. The Treasure Chest game played at the Rock can be made easier by simply following this rule. You do not have to watch which chest contains the Pirate at the beginning of the game. Simply wait around 10 seconds or so when the three chests stop spinning and one, in the middle, comes forward while the other two stay in the background. That's the chest with the Pirate. Follow that for the next 5=6 seconds or so and then pick that one for the win.

9. Down low.
It's pretty obvious that Holloway wants to establish Samuel immediately down low. He did it against Monmouth and he did it to start both halves yesterday.

10. Teeth
The rumor that Richmond doesn't have any teeth was debunked yesterday when the emotionless guard actually flashed a smile when an inbound ally oop pass went awry.

11. Agility.
Someone please tell the 6-9 Tae Davis he's not supposed to be able to pick up point guards in the backcourt one on one.

12. Deceptive.
After years and years of watching the torturous offense of Kevin Willard how refreshing is it to see the ball move around the court so quickly resulting in quality shots? Yet after the game checking the box score the Pirates only had 10 assists. Doesn't seem to add up.

13. Up and under.
It's only two games in but is Jackson copyrighting his up and under move? You don't see that often from a 6-9 player. Maybe that's why Holloway is trying to expand his game beyond just the perimeter.

14. Missing Obiagu?
Maybe not. The big man when the matchups called for it did a great job protecting the rim. But he didn't have the ability to play more than a few feet from the basket. This Pirate team has the ability to have 5 players pressure the ball all over the court. The result? 43 defensive turnovers in 2 games.

15. Gotta get down a dirty.
It seems like Richmond is all over the court on defense. Whenever he's on D it's shocking when he doesn't deflect passes. But that said there were multiple occasions yesterday when a ball was on the floor and he didn't go after it. That's not a way to make his coach a happy man.

16. Conversely....
How unselfish was the combo guard making great passes with his excellent court vision all game long? He only took 3 shots (making all three) but with that said I would like to see him attack the basket and finish more often. Not many guards can stop him down low.

17. Play of the game.
Toss up. Harris' scoop ally oop to Samuel for a fast break slam OR Richmond's penetration up the middle faking a pass to a cutter turning the defender completely around while then hitting the layup.

18. Bad blood?
There was a lot of trash taking and pushing all game long. Often with the refs having to get involved.

19. My turn?
I hate watching basketball when players take what I call my turn shots. Shots launched, often of low quality, when a player feels he isn't getting his fair share of opportunities. It's two games in but you can count on one hand how many times that has happened with this Pirate team.

20. True test.
Are the Pirates this good or are they simply a product of their schedule? Stay tuned this Wednesday to find out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News