ADVERTISEMENT

The top 5 SHU games that you've attended

walshtrips

All American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2006
Everyone has different opinions on the greatest Seton Hall games in memory, here is my list of the TOP 5 games that I've attended:

1. Seton Hall 79 vs ISU 77 - April 4, 2024 - Hinkle Fieldhouse. I know people will discount this game as it was "just the NIT". SHU had a lot to prove in this tournament and the result might have opened the door to more NCAA bids for the Big East. Playing at Hinkle is special, especially when you're playing in front of a hostile crowd for the chance to raise a banner. The comeback is what makes this game so memorable. Down 7 points with under 3 minutes to play, I doubt there was a breathing human who was confident that we'd rally to win the game. The next three minutes were history and we will raise a banner in November.

2. Seton Hall 69 vs Nova 67 - March 12, 2016 - Madison Square Garden. Beating Nova anytime is uplifting for the team and fanbase, doing so at MSG to win the Big East Tournament made it that much sweeter. I believe we helped Nova win the NCAA tourney with the MSG wake-up call. Beating the eventual NCAA champion in the conference tourney was validation for a relatively young team.

3. Seton Hall 103 vs Syracuse 70 - March 14, 1993 - Madison Square Garden. A total team effort lead by Arturus Karnishovas, Jerry walker and Terry Dehere. The game was played at MSG during a snowstorm and was Seton Hall's second BET championship in 3 seasons. Syracuse was a nemesis for SHU, we were 2-25 against the Orangemen in our prior 27 games. Our 103 point total and 33 point margin of victory remain the all-time record in BET history. Watching Boeheim scowl the entire second half was icing on the cake.

4. Seton Hall 95 vs Duke 78 - April 1, 1989 - Seattle Kingdome. The final victory in our Cinderella Story season. Duke was a team loaded with future NBA players, Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Alaa Abdelnaby, Phil Henderson, and others. SHU was the clear underdog and quickly trailed by 18 points in the first half. Our team was loaded with seniors and PJ ran a tight ship, known for our blue color work habits and smothering defense. Our team had trailed in several games during the NCAA tournament run and were not phased by the early deficit. Our guys clamped down on D and the team came roaring back. A 35 point scoring swing lead to a 17 point victory over Duke, and a spot in the NCAA championship. What happened next was a travesty.

5. Seton Hall 84 vs Kentucky 83 (OT) - December 18, 2018 - Madison Square Garden. An early season non-conference game against the 9th ranked team in the country. Myles Powell shot 54% from the perimeter and the game was the best for TT in a Pirate uniform. Powell hit a 3 pointer with 1.5 seconds left in regulation, giving the Pirates a 3 point leading. A huge defensive lapse resulted in Kentucky tying the game at the buzzer. The eventually hero was Myles Cale who came through with a 3 pointer as the clock winding down.

Give us your list, only games that you attended.

GO PIRATES!!!

Last edited:
Top 5 in person attended:

1) 1993 Seton Hall win over St Johns at the Meadowlands with Terri's # retired, and Jerry's 1000th pt. A coronation party.

2) 2000 Shu win in Buffalo round of 64 winover Oregon with Holloway coast to coaster.

3) 2016 Big East title win at MSG with Issiah's winning and 1 vs soon to be National champs Villanova.

4) 2024 NIT title victory over ISU scoring last 9 points at Hinkle.

5) 1991 O. Taylor's 2nd back to back winning shot in Big East semis vs Villanova on the way to 91 BET title OR dominating 1991 Sweet 16 win over Arizona in Seattle.

Last edited:
1) 1989 Semi-Final Four SHU 95- Duke 78 victory.
2) 2000 NCAA SHU victory over Oregon, when Sha went coast to coast for the winning layup in Buffalo.
3) 2000 NCAA SHU victory over Temple, when we hit 15/30 3's in Buffalo
4) Early 1990's SHU victory over Georgetown led by Dehere in the Meadowlands Arena
5) Early 1990's SHU victory over Ohio St led by Jimmy Jackson in the Meadowlands Arena.

All the above were attended games.

In person...

5. Win at Rutgers to all but clinch NCAA birth in 2000 (Down by a lot in OT and came back... Kent called timeout when they had none. Haha)
4. Loss against Oklahoma St. Sweet 16 in Syracuse 2000
3. Temple win NCAA tourney Second Round in Buffalo 2000
2. Oregon win in NCAA 1st Round in Buffalo 2000
1. Big East Tournament Championship against Nova 2016

Best in person were:

1) 1991 BET finals win over Gtown. Ollie Taylor tourney MVP. Front row behind basket in student section to see Mourning and Mutombo go down. We were able to run on the court of MSG which was pretty cool
2) 1989 regular season game over Georgetown. Almost 20k amped-up fans at the Meadowlands to see SHU let the world know they were a legit final four contender.
3) 1992 Vs Ohio State. Big games by sophomores Leahy and Luther
4) 2009 Hazel dropping 41 vs WVU. Despite the loss in OT it was incredible end to regulation
5) 1992 Finally beating Syracuse for first time in 11 years. Meadowlands was rocking

Attended games

1. 2016 BET championship over Nova.
2. 2019 BET semi win over Marquette. Absolutely bonkers.
3. 2015 (or late December 2014) SHU over Nova in OT. Our freshman class minus an injured IW wins in OT with Khadeen leading the way late.
4. 2016 win over #5 X at The Rock
5. 2019 win over Nova the “Powell from Trenton” game.

Honorable mentions— Kentucky at MSG, Texas at the Rock, 1989 win over Gtown at the Meadowlands, Ohio State on Super Bowl Sunday in 1993.

In person...

5. Win at Rutgers to all but clinch NCAA birth in 2000 (Down by a lot in OT and came back... Kent called timeout when they had none. Haha)
4. Loss against Oklahoma St. Sweet 16 in Syracuse 2000
3. Temple win NCAA tourney Second Round in Buffalo 2000
2. Oregon win in NCAA 1st Round in Buffalo 2000
1. Big East Tournament Championship against Nova 2016
Saw those same 5 and would just replace your # 4 with the win over UK in the Garden. Being in the sweet sixteen game was special though and was in Syracuse for that one also.

Reactions: walshtrips
Great topic and altho , perhaps , not in my TOP 5 --within my Top Ten would be 2019 game v Maryland ( then #7) in December following a brutal loss to Rugrats , without # 13 ( name withheld --concussion) and without Sandro. Hall goes wire to wire at the Pru to beat Terps . Think record of blocked shots in that game and Terps were looking for revenge of 2018 ( a great game I got to attend ).

Some odd ones but so memorable.

Rutgers at MSG 81 fraternity bus trip.
Syracuse @ MSG BET Leahy for 3 94
Kentucy @ MSG Cale for 3 2018
Nova @ Wells Fargo 2020.
UConn @ Rock this year.

Wow, great question.

1. 2016 BET Championship
2. 2018 MSG vs. Kentucky
3. 2004 2OT vs #4 Pittsburgh
4. 2019 BET vs. Marquette
5. 2019 vs. Villanova

Unfortunately I’m 0-3 at the NCAAT (2000 S16 game, 2016, 2017 both 1st Round).

SH over Bob Lanier’s St. Bonnie’s @ Walsh
SH over Princeton @ Walsh after trailing all game on Danny C game winner.
SH over Ewing & Co @ Walsh
SH over Houston @ Meadowlands in early 80s
4’s enough - great Ws

1) 1989 Georgetown
2) 2016 BET final vs. nova
3) 1992 vs cuse
4) 1992 vs. Ohio state
5) 1993 vs. North Carolina

Really enjoyed games in late 80’s early 90’s at Meadowlands. Pirates were packing the building. Between 18k and 20k I think for most of those big games.
Agreed, Jerry! So many big games at the Continental Arena in the late 80's and early 90's against the likes of UConn, Syracuse, Georgetown and St. John's! For those games, it was typically two good teams going at it, and two iconic coaches on the sidelines. The arena was sold out and was jut electric for two plus hours! I particularly remember beating a very good UConn team in the early 90's, when so much of the upper deck was filled with UConn fans. That one was particularly gratifying and my favorite there.

For me at the Prudential Center, the 2018-19 season was loaded with great games at the Rock that went down to the wire. But I would have to vote for the Myles from Trenton game. The roof came down that day!

Sorry, I didn't quite answer the poster's question. Definitely, fun to reminisce though.

Games I attended in person:

1. BET Finals vs. Nova at MSG 2016
2. Game vs. Gtown (Mourning/Matumbo) at CAA (year escapes me right now, but awesome memory as a student)
3. 1st BET Championship game at MSG vs. Gtown in 1991
4. Game that was our 1st win. Against Cuse (92 I think?) at CAA.

Gets really tough to highlight a 5. We’ve actually had some really good home games over the last several years at home. Enjoyed the wins against UConn last couple of years, thought the game against Texas a couple of years back was electric. Really enjoyed the wins I’ve seen in person at the SHAC against RU.

1. 2000 OT win at Rutgers after being down 8 in overtime
2. 2019 Big East Tournament semifinal against Marquette
3. 2004 NCAA comeback win against Arizona in Raleigh after CBS dumped the game
4. 2004 (I think it was) win at Rutgers when Andre Barrett canned that three from the logo to win it. (Am I remembering this correctly?)
5. 2024 triple-OT loss to Creighton. Terrible loss in retrospect, but that was this past season's game of the year in college basketball.

Some odd ones but so memorable.

Rutgers at MSG 81 fraternity bus trip.
Syracuse @ MSG BET Leahy for 3 94
Kentucy @ MSG Cale for 3 2018
Nova @ Wells Fargo 2020.
UConn @ Rock this year.
You're the first to mention the UConn game, this would have been my number 6 choice.

Reactions: LBP43
5. 2008 SHU over Louisville, 92-82. Hazell hits eight or nine 3's.
4. 1993 SHU loses to UNC. Loudest I ever heard the Meadowlands.
3. 1993 SHU over SJU to win the BE regular season championship outright. Stormed the court.
2. 1993 SHU over Cuse to win the BE Tourney at MSG.
1. 2004 SHU comeback win over Arizona in the NCAAs in Raleigh.

Reactions: SOpirate
I feel like 5 heartbreakers would be much easier, but

92 OSU @ Byrne
93 UNC @ Byrne (loss)
First win against Syracuse at Byrne (93?)
BET 1993 final
BET 2016 final
Louisville Hazell game

Worst 5:
Any of the Nova losses (senior night 2020 stands out, as do the BET losses)
MSU at home a couple of years back
RU at BET (Biruta ejection game, OT)
RU Senior night for Pope/Theodore
MU in BET that led to Willard's "come to Jesus" talk

Reactions: Jerry1992
Too lazy to select only 5, off the top of my head...
Holy Cross at Walsh, 1975
The Uconn win in 91 when my 3 yr old get to meet the white bear after the game
93 vs SJU
Uconn last year at Nwk
Uconn the yr before
Ollie T winner vs Pitt on BET opener 91
Caver coast to coast (Mourning, such an ahole!!!)
Nova in IW/Angel frosh year (hey, where'd Prof Ed go??)
1st cuse win at CAA
OSU 92 on Super Bwl Sunday
Marq in BET Myles Sr year
The MSU loss
CU 3OT loss
The WV loss when Hazel went nuts

Reactions: LBP43
I second the motion on the Bonnies game with Lanier. Unforgettable.
4’s enough - great Ws
That game felt like a victory because we were so outmatched (Bob Lanier vs. Bill Somerset, I think), but in fact we lost. It was one of the first games that came to mind with this thread.

It was a loss, but the MSU opener at the Pru was an insane environment. In the words of Tom Izzo, not even God himself could have stopped Myles Powell that night. Unfortunately the game ultimately led to tarnishing legal issues.

Reactions: Seton75
It was a loss, but the MSU opener at the Pru was an insane environment. In the words of Tom Izzo, not even God himself could have stopped Myles Powell that night. Unfortunately the game ultimately led to tarnishing legal issues.
How did that game, specifically, lead to those issues?

I believe that the first game against Bob Lanier led St. Bonaventure went into OT, but the Pirates did not beat them. Lanier didn’t lose many games in his college career.
My memory is what I forget with now. You are correct. SH got Lanier to foul out & then made a run to get it into OT in last 2 minutes or so. Then the future coach at Dusquesne hit a dagger shot in OT to beat us. One of our noted posters played in that game!

Reactions: garyshu71
1 - April 3, 1989 - Michigan 80 SHU 79 in the National Championship game. We start with a loss. Why? Simply put it's one of one. The only time to date that Seton Hall has played for the National Championship. Despite the controversial ending, it is one of the great National Championship games of all-time. John Morton, with 35 points, gave a performance for the ages -- the sixth best individual total in a NCAA title game.

2 - April 1, 1989 - SHU 95 Duke 78 in the National Semi-Finals. Again, a stage not reached before or since, the Final Four. Coming back from down 18 early to win by 17 against a Duke team in the midst of five consecutive Final Fours and seven in nine years.

3 - March 12, 2016 - SHU 69 Villanova 67 in the Big East Tournament Finals. The only one of our three BET titles I've seen in person. Again, not only a Seton Hall win but a tremendous game -- the finish hanging in the balance until the end much like the ball hanging on the rim on Isaiah Whitehead's late game drive. This was the Pirate's third BET championship and first in 23 years.

4 - March 6, 1993 - SHU 92 SJU 73. The final home game in the career's of Terry Dehere, Jerry Walker and Luther Wright. The day started with a jersey number retirement as Dehere's No. 24 became the eighth, and to date last, Seton Hall number retired. It ended with a coronation as the Hall clinched an outright Big East regular season title (its only one) while Dehere became the Big East's all-time leading scorer unseating Chris Mullin.

5 - February 9, 2000 - SHU 65 Rutgers 63 (OT). If ever there was a game a team had no business winning, it was this one. After losing a six-point lead in the final 2:15 of regulation, the Pirates trailed by eight with 2:20 remaining in the overtime session. But RU committed three fouls leading to six free throws in the next minute and Rashod Kent inserted himself into SHU-RU lore by calling a timeout his team didn't have. After the technical foul free throws, Ty Shine gave the Pirates the lead on the ensuing possession and the Hall went on to win its fourth straight game. This was the fifth game in a daunting stretch of seven games in 16 days necessitated in part due to the aftermath of the Boland Hall fire.

Some Honorable Mentions:

March 2019 against Villanova -- the Powell from Trenton game.
February 2020 against Villanova -- the win at WFC.
November 2019 against Michigan State -- probably the best non-conference game atmosphere ever at Prudential Center.
March 2004 at Rutgers -- Andre Barrett from the logo to essentially clinch an NCAA bid.
November 1988 exhibition against a Czech touring team -- We smacked them something like 119 to 83. That was the night I knew the Final Four team could be special.

Last edited:
My memory is what I forget with now. You are correct. SH got Lanier to foul out & then made a run to get it into OT in last 2 minutes or so. Then the future coach at Dusquesne hit a dagger shot in OT to beat us. One of our noted posters played in that game!
I only recall Lanier with the Pistons and Bucks in the late 70's/early 80's. Great NBA player obviously.

So I looked up his collegiate stats. 2x consensus All-American; 1969-70 Final Four and #3 team in nation; averaged 27.6 & 15.7 per game for his career! Also went off for 51 points against the Hall in one of those years. I guess the strategy was let Lanier get his and stop everyone else? Walsh must have been rocking that day we took them to OT!

BTW, it's nice when the "old-timers" on here share their memories with us "youngins". ;)

PJVegas, is it possible for you to reveal the player from the late 60's team still engaged on Pirate Crew? That's awesome!

1 - April 3, 1989 - Michigan 80 SHU 79 in the National Championship game. We start with a loss. Why? Simply put it's one of one. The only time to date that Seton Hall has played for the National Championship. Despite the controversial ending, it is one of the great National Championship games of all-time. John Morton, with 35 points, gave a performance for the ages -- the sixth best individual total in a NCAA title game.

2 - April 1, 1989 - SHU 95 Duke 78 in the National Semi-Finals. Again, a stage not reached before or since, the Final Four. Coming back from down 18 early to win by 17 against a Duke team in the midst of five consecutive Final Fours and seven in nine years.

3 - March 12, 2016 - SHU 69 Villanova 67 in the Big East Tournament Finals. The only one of our three BET titles I've seen in person. Again, not only a Seton Hall win but a tremendous game -- the finish hanging in the balance until the end much like the ball hanging on the rim on Isaiah Whitehead's late game drive. This was the Pirate's third BET championship and first in 23 years.

4 - March 6, 1993 - SHU 92 SJU 73. The final home game in the career's of Terry Dehere, Jerry Walker and Luther Wright. The day started with a jersey number retirement as Dehere's No. 24 became the eighth and to date last Seton Hall number retired. It ended with a coronation as the Hall clinched an outright Big East regular season title (its only one) while Dehere became the Big East's all-time leading scorer unseating Chris Mullin.

5 - February 9, 2000 - SHU 65 Rutgers 63 (OT). If ever there was a game a team had no business winning, it was this one. After losing a six-point lead in the final 2:15 of regulation, the Pirates trailed by eight with 2:20 remaining in the overtime session. But RU committed three fouls leading to six free throws in the next minute and Rashod Kent inserted himself into SHU-RU lore by calling a timeout his team didn't have. After the technical foul free throws, Ty Shine gave the Pirates the lead on the ensuing possession and the Hall went on to with its fourth straight game. This was the fifth game in a daunting stretch of seven games in 16 days necessitated in part due to the aftermath of the Boland Hall fire.

Some Honorable Mentions:

March 2019 against Villanova -- the Powell from Trenton game.
February 2020 against Villanova -- the win at WFC.
November 2019 against Michigan State -- probably the best non-conference game atmosphere ever at Prudential Center.
March 2004 at Rutgers -- Andre Barrett from the logo to essentially clinch an NCAA bid.
November 1988 exhibition against a Czech touring team -- We smacked them something like 119 to 83. That was the night I knew the Final Four team could be special.
That five...whoa!!!

And your honoarable mentions spins my head too

In person...
1. Beat Pittsburgh double o/t home 2004
2. Beat Syracuse away 2006 under Louie Orr
3. Beat Nova away 2020
4. Beat Louisville home 2008
5. Beat St. Johns' home 1993

4’s enough - great Ws
SHU did not beat Gtown at Walsh. We should have beaten them except for a slow fingered game clock guy. That game was the night of the blizzard, took me three hours to get home in Union.

SHU did not beat Gtown at Walsh. We should have beaten them except for a slow fingered game clock guy. That game was the night of the blizzard, took me three hours to get home in Union.
There were two heartbreakers at home to Georgetown in the early 80s. One was the clock game, the other the blizzard game. Both were equally rough.

Memories. That was one of the few games Gtwn didn’t full court press an opponent. McNeil brought ball up and they had no one to stop him without a severe defensive mismatch. Forgot about the clock, but remember the drive home to Conn.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT