ADVERTISEMENT

Theodore Article

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Part 1. The second part will be posted imm after I edit it in about 15 minutes.

Jordan Theodore finished the 2011-2012 season, his senior year at Seton Hall University averaging 16.1 points per game, and 6.6 assists while setting the school's single-season assist record at 226 on the way to being named second team All-Big East.

That year Theodore led the Pirates to its first 20 win season and postseason victory, with a first round win over Stony Brook University in the National Invitation Tournament, since the 2003-2004 season.

Yet despite his long list of accomplishments at Seton Hall, Theodore was on the outside looking in on his National Basketball Association career aspirations that spring after graduating from the Big East school.

“I had NBA workouts and honestly I just didn't play to the ability that I knew I could,” Theodore said. “I wasn't depressed or sad that I didn't get drafted or that I didn't make a team because I knew the NBA wasn't going anywhere. I knew there were other opportunities for me to play and get better.”

Theodore wasted little time on those other opportunities, signing to play for Antalya Greater Metropolitan Municipality Sports Club (Antalya BSB) of the Turkish Basketball Super League on July 15, less than two months after leaving his alma mater.

In that first year as a professional basketball player, Theodore ranked fourth in the league averaging 4.7 assists per game.

“I was happy to go overseas, it was a nice salary, it was a new country and it was an exciting learning experience because I wanted to be a professional and see the world,” Theodore said. “Making a decision to go overseas can be tough, it's a new situation, a new language and you don't know anyone there. It can be scary, but I was open minded and wanted to explore. I was not intrigued about leaving my family and going there alone but it was something I had to do to take that next step in my career.”

Since signing with Antalya BSB, the Englewood, N.J. native has traveled around the world playing for Mets de Guaynabo in Puerto Rico, Huracanes del Atlántico in the Dominican Republic, Mersin Metropolitan Municipality Sports Club in Turkey, Jeunesse Laïque de Bourg-en-Bresse in France , the Fraport Skyliners in Germany and most recently Banvit in Turkey.

“My passport is all stamped up, Theodore said with a smile, "I'm about to be on my second one. To travel the world and play the game I love and get paid for it, I have the greatest job in the world.”

When it comes to choosing what teams are best suited to further his basketball career Theodore has taken a less traditional approach than some of his peers, not focusing solely on the money.

“I've put myself in a position to make top dollar, but money isn’t everything. I look for situations where I have really great players around me who know the game and who are good character guys. I want coaches that understand me and will let me be me and play my game. Players need that. We need coaches that don't over-coach and understand the players and put them in position to succeed. It's a give and take. At the end of the day we are people, we aren't machines so it's a lot about building relationships.”

While putting himself in positive positions to learn from coaches and teammates, Theodore still found it difficult to adapt to the international-style of play during his early tenure in Turkey, France and Germany and gave credit to his coaches in helping him learn the in’s and out’s.

“When I was a rookie coming over, I didn't know the European rules so it was an adjustment and a learning process. It took me three years, until I was in Germany, to really figure it out.”

He noted that the two hardest rules to learn were having to put the basketball down first to dribble before moving and being allowed to snatch the ball off the rim during shot attempts and rebounds.

Beyond the rules, Theodore found the tempo of play to be drastically different saying, “it is more methodical and half-court oriented.”

“The game is a different pace and tempo. It's not up and down like the NBA and college because they stop every fast break with a foul. At Seton Hall I was a quick guard that liked to get up and down the court and I could get a bucket for my team when we needed it. As I’ve gotten older the game has slowed down for me and I am able to really execute the half-court style,” he said.

Despite the differences in rules and tempo between American basketball and international basketball, Theodore was most surprised by the fans and atmosphere at his games.

“I love the fans in America, but I have a totally different respect level for the fans of Europe because of the love and energy they bring to the game. They are doing their own thing, they are jumping up and down and going crazy and doing their own chants all game, even when we're in timeouts. It's an amazing feeling. I've been to college and NBA games but you don't see anything like you would at a Euro championship game. The atmosphere is just ridiculous,” Theodore said.

Theodore has seen the intensity of the crowds on full display over the last few years. In 2015, he won the FIBA Europe Cup championship with the Fraport Skyliners. This year, he led Banvit to the Turkish Basketball Cup title with a 75-66 win over Anadolu Efes, earning himself the Turkish Cup Final MVP award. He also led Banvit to the Basketball Champions League final, where the team lost the championship to Iberostar Tenerife 63-59. Despite the loss in the finals, Theodore was named quarterfinals MVP after his team defeated MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg and Champions League MVP for the season.

“The nexus to my game is all over the place now. I’m not just a point guard who can get out and run. I can shoot and score, play lock down D and run a team. There aren't too many players or pros that can do all of that. The European leagues have made me a better player and a lot has come my way because of that.”

Theodore is not mincing words when he says a lot has come his way because of his performances across Europe. The former Seton Hall star has received correspondence from multiple European countries to gain citizenship and become a member of their national basketball teams.

He recently gained his citizenship from the Republic of Macedonia and will play as a point guard for the Macedonian national team at the upcoming FIBA Basketball World Cup qualifiers. Theodore left the U.S. for Macedonia on July 5 to report for training camp, where he is meeting his teammates for the first time and familiarizing himself with the coaching staff and their game plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News