ADVERTISEMENT

This is why SHU football is a pipe dream

What caught my eye in this story is that other then it’s cost and the fact it’s fully funded :
1. The capacity of the new stadium is 25% less then their current stadium , which goes against the norm as usually new construction adds capacity.
2. The architects they hired specializes in sports architecture which makes a lot of sense to me . I couldn’t help but wondering if the architects we hired specializes in sports facilities design.

We don’t have to play at the same level as Northwestern. Playing at the same level as Villanova would be nice though.

They have a B1G championship in football about 20 (?) years ago.
I remember as a kid growing up in Va, they had one of the longest losing streaks but a hilarious chant. "That's alright, that's ok, you're gonna work for us someday" Not sure if they originated it, but hilarious

What caught my eye in this story is that other then it’s cost and the fact it’s fully funded :
1. The capacity of the new stadium is 25% less then their current stadium , which goes against the norm as usually new construction adds capacity.
2. The architects they hired specializes in sports architecture which makes a lot of sense to me . I couldn’t help but wondering if the architects we hired specializes in sports facilities design.
When you have an endowment of $16,000,000,000, 400MM ain't much.

I saw a story recently, I believe on ESPN, colleges are experiencing declining attendance. Due to pregaming and on campus parties, students show up late, leave early or never arrive, preferring to socialize while games are being played.

Pokeyshu - who is even thinking SHU would ever restart their football program?

Reactions: hallgrad80
You’d be surprised. There are a lot of people who would love to bring football back.

I’d love to see it return but on the level that Villanova plays at.
There is virtually no interest in football. We don’t have a field as our existing field is shared by 2 sports already. From where would the money come?

Lacrosse and ice hockey would be added first but I don’t see it.

Reactions: walshtrips
Seton Hall Ice Hockey

SHU Hockey is a Division-II team in the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) that plays between 20-25 games per season.

Nova spends $5.9 million on its football program and where would the revenues to support a team come from given SH’s current financial status.

Last edited:
You’d be surprised. There are a lot of people who would love to bring football back.

I’d love to see it return but on the level that Villanova plays at.

Now think about how much money would have to be redirected away from basketball to even think about restarting a football program. You still interested?

• Love
Reactions: walshtrips
Would football be amazing? Absolutely, but it’s not possible for a laundry list of reasons (land, the town, money, title IX, etc.).

Maybe if the school didn’t sell off hundreds of acres 80-90 years ago we could have the conversation, but they did so it’s a moot point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT