ADVERTISEMENT

Thorpe to visit Hall

Thorpe would help us next year. Guard rotation would be good allowing us to press a lot!!

Thorpe played mostly the 2 in college until this past mid-season when he took over the point for USF. I know he's from Pittsburgh and could give them an edge in his recruiting. I remember reading somewhere that he's a good defensive player and wonder if others have heard that.

Thorpe would help us next year. Guard rotation would be good allowing us to press a lot!!

I think we can press a lot next year even with the current make up of the roster. Assume we don't get Duval, assume we don't get Thorpe, or anyone else, we currently have 5 guys for the 2 guard positions especially if you consider Desi playing around 28-30 minutes per game at the 3. Walker, Carrington, Powell, Cale, and Gordon. I'm curious to see how Willard uses the depth. Does he have a set plan where one guy goes in for another guy at a set time? Is he going to take guys out of the game as soon as they miss a defensives assignment or give 99%? Or is he going to play matchups with different lineups vs different teams?

I would think that the biggest factor in our favor is that we're a NCAA tourney team and Pitt is not and for someone who has never been to the tourney that should be a big plus.

Just does not make sense that Thorpe would visit.

I know what you meant by this statement re: the coaches decision on the guard rotation, but I and lots of other people think it makes a ton of sense for him to visit and start at the 1 for us. But Willard doesn't, and I think it will be a major problem resulting in losses throughout the season. Guess we'll see who is right, but I think he's making a grave mistake trusting the 1 position to the inexperienced Walker and the ill-equipped KC. You want to hold the schollie until Duval officially announces? Ok, that's fair. But then give it to someone like Thorpe after we lose out. But we're not doing that. And I think we should have as many weapons to bolster our seniors as possible, as we try to go deep into March.

Bad, bad move.

I understand but when I said what I said it was based on what I was hearing the staff wanted to do regarding their roster. That's why I said makes no sense.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I know what you meant by this statement re: the coaches decision on the guard rotation, but I and lots of other people think it makes a ton of sense for him to visit and start at the 1 for us. But Willard doesn't, and I think it will be a major problem resulting in losses throughout the season. Guess we'll see who is right, but I think he's making a grave mistake trusting the 1 position to the inexperienced Walker and the ill-equipped KC. You want to hold the schollie until Duval officially announces? Ok, that's fair. But then give it to someone like Thorpe after we lose out. But we're not doing that. And I think we should have as many weapons to bolster our seniors as possible, as we try to go deep into March.

Bad, bad move.

This. Agree with everything here.

Carrington seeing most of the minutes at the point guard position places a cap on the potential of this roster next season. We should be going for broke, all-in, whatever you want to call it and pulling out all the stops to win right now and win big.

Next year should be our best season in 25 years (1993). I would hate to see that limited by an easily fixable situation at the most important position on the floor.

Bad, bad move.

Have you seen Thorpe play at all??? Please let me know what his strengths and negatives are as a player since you want him so bad.

Mind you, he has played about as much PG as Carrington in his career.

You are taking minutes away from Cale and Powell, who are both more talented players then Thorpe. Your taking minutes away from Walker who is actually a true PG unlike Thorpe.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbraue
I don't care about Walker's minutes frankly. He'll get tons of them for 3 years after. And injuries will happen, making the minutes thing moot at some point in the season. Or would you prefer KC & Powell to play banged up for weeks on end like they did last season b/c there was no one to back them up?

I'm not saying Thorpe is John Stockton, But he's a bigger, stronger, more experienced body than Walker, and has a FAR better handle than KC, who found new & different ways to fall on the floor and lose the ball while attempting to run the offense all throughout last season. That was fun.

Have you seen Thorpe play at all??? Please let me know what his strengths and negatives are as a player since you want him so bad.

FWIW Thorpe's assist rate was top 50 in the country last year (albeit for one of the truly pitiful Division 1 teams). It was almost double Carrington's, and in the same range as Lonzo, Monte Morris, and Whitehead (2016). On paper, he seems like a nice fit, though I'm personally comfortable rolling with what we already have.

Coming out of HS

ESPN Analyst
Updated 11/18/2012

Strengths:
Thorpe is a scoring guard who can put points on the board in bunches when he gets hot. He does his best work attacking the rim but has a versatile offensive repertoire with a variety of one on one tools. He slashes through contact, changes direction quickly with his counter moves inside the lane, can rise up to finish or use a floater, and also shoots a good looking ball from behind the three-point line.

Weaknesses:
Thorpe can be streaky both good and bad right now. When he's on he can put his team on his back but when he goes cold he can disappear for stretches. He tends to be more comfortable in an open floor game and needs to continue to develop his overall feel for the game.

Bottom Line:
His DNA reads scorer and he's very dangerous in that department but he needs to continue to polish his complimenting skill set, decision making, and overall feel for the game before able to maximize his potential.

Notes

Travel Team: N.J. Playaz...Originally from Pittsburgh...

I guess it depends on what his role is going to be and what he is going to want minutes wise.

Carrington has to play big minutes, as he is our best proven scorer. Powell has earned 20 + mins a game. Cale is about as talented of a wing that we have had at SHU, needs to play 20 mins. Walker at the least, will be a good change of pace back up PG and should play 10 mins. Then you have Gordon who is going to want to play.

The potential for chemistry and PT issues isn't what I want.

I think the idea here is to provide a bridge to our young future PG Jordan W. If you kinda look at it from a coaching type of perspective basically we were left hanging by Duval (due to his deliberation ad nauseam! lol) so the staff is being proactive for lack of a better word in covering all our bases. This seems smart. No? I mean if you are recruiting any player and he puts conditions on adding personnel to the detriment of the team then he is not my type of player. Great players don't back out of comp. (NOT saying this happened!) :)

Anyways everyone is this thread is awesome! Great points. Thorpe is known as a very good defender. I have not seen much of him. If team chemistry is good adding him seems to give us more depth.

Artie do you think Jordan and IW2 are pretty comparable? Whose game to you like better? Have a beautiful night! Buenas noche mi amigos/amigas!

xoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxoxox Vamonos todos!!!!!!!

You are taking minutes away from Cale and Powell, who are both more talented players then Thorpe. Your taking minutes away from Walker who is actually a true PG unlike Thorpe.
It's not always put the 5 most talented players on the court. ie see MJ starting last year.
Thorpe represents allowing KC to play his natural position and an experienced 6-4 player that can hit an open three when needed (37.5%), hit his free throws down the stretch (84.6%), play defense (1.6spg), and get others involved (4.6 ast).

In their meeting tomorrow, Willard needs to make sure that Thorpe is willing to come in and be a team guy similar to DGordon. He might buy into that since his teams in college have been so bad and he wants to be a part of a NCAA run.

As far as minutes, with so many guys graduating the younger guys might buy into playing a smaller role on a top 20 team knowing that the guy ahead of them on the depth chart won't be there next year.

I would love to be a fly on the wall during his visit.

He does make us a better team on the court. But the staff was already worried about rotation minutes and if Thorpe comes on board that will cause even more chaos.

Is this just a courtesy visit already set up or something more?

Also, not that many here thought we were getting Duval but clearly he has made his decision and will be announcing shortly. I've got to believe he has told his best friend Powell of his choice so if Duval was going to come here there's no way we would waste Thorpe's time.

Steelersrule125. I use to put a lot of weight behind what you posted on this board. If you got your info from someone from the 247 site???

I think the idea here is to provide a bridge to our young future PG Jordan W. If you kinda look at it from a coaching type of perspective basically we were left hanging by Duval (due to his deliberation ad nauseam! lol) so the staff is being proactive for lack of a better word in covering all our bases. This seems smart. No? I mean if you are recruiting any player and he puts conditions on adding personnel to the detriment of the team then he is not my type of player. Great players don't back out of comp. (NOT saying this happened!) :)

Anyways everyone is this thread is awesome! Great points. Thorpe is known as a very good defender. I have not seen much of him. If team chemistry is good adding him seems to give us more depth.

Artie do you think Jordan and IW2 are pretty comparable? Whose game to you like better? Have a beautiful night! Buenas noche mi amigos/amigas!

xoxoxooxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxoxox Vamonos todos!!!!!!!

Great question on JW and IW2.

I see IW2 as more of a scoring lead guard, kind of reminds me of Corey Fisher from a build perspective.

Walker is more of that waterbug true pg who is a master of disruption on both sides of the ball. I think Walker is a really good fit for what we are looking for next year.

Both are very good and I would take in a second. I do think the arrow is pointing up on Walker, we may have lucked in a player who is just tapping into his potential.

Great question on JW and IW2.

I see IW2 as more of a scoring lead guard, kind of reminds me of Corey Fisher from a build perspective.

Walker is more of that waterbug true pg who is a master of disruption on both sides of the ball. I think Walker is a really good fit for what we are looking for next year.

Both are very good and I would take in a second. I do think the arrow is pointing up on Walker, we may have lucked in a player who is just tapping into his potential.

IW2 just looks like fisher that is why you are saying that LOL

That post looks like a similar post from last week. Wasn't Thorpe supposed to visit last week but then JW committed?

I would love to be a fly on the wall during his visit.

He does make us a better team on the court. But the staff was already worried about rotation minutes and if Thorpe comes on board that will cause even more chaos.

Is this just a courtesy visit already set up or something more?

Also, not that many here thought we were getting Duval but clearly he has made his decision and will be announcing shortly. I've got to believe he has told his best friend Powell of his choice so if Duval was going to come here there's no way we would waste Thorpe's time.

Dan
What the hell are you doing ? Applying logic and reason doesn't apply when debating what school a recruit will select and you of all people should know that. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT