ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts?

Hall2015Alum

Recruit
Feb 1, 2016
1. Would you rank this team top 25?
2. Assuming Nova is #1, where do you rank this team in the big east?

1. No; I think we start the year between 26-35. I'm confident we will play ourselves in to the top 25, though.
2. 3rd

1. I think this team should be Top 25 in the preseason, coming off back to back NCAAs with 4 returning Sr starters and a solid class coming in. Somewhere in the 21-25 range.

2. I think pre-season I would put The Hall either 3 or 4 in the Big East behind Nova and Xavier and right there with Creighton or Providence. I could see the coaches getting them up as high as #2 if Bluett leaves.

If we had a more recognizable name and played in a power 5 conference (and yes I know for BB purposes the Big East is just that and more) I have no doubt we would be in the top 25. But since we're 'Seton Hall' much as I don't like it I see us slightly on the perimeter of pre-season top 25 status in most polls.

If we had a more recognizable name and played in a power 5 conference (and yes I know for BB purposes the Big East is just that and more) I have no doubt we would be in the top 25. But since we're 'Seton Hall' much as I don't like it I see us slightly on the perimeter of pre-season top 25 status in most polls.

I have to agree with Dan. I think we are outside the Top 25 as receiving votes. I'm okay with that.

As for the BE standings, I think we finish 3rd this year.

1. We are not a PreSeason top 25 team. While we have potential, we do not have a proven pg or a top 10 recruit at pg that would get us the top 25 buzz.

We were in most end of the year top 25s for next season and added two top 150 recruits since then. I'd have to imagine we are a preseason top 25 team

Reactions: hallwins
I'm not a fan of playing Carrington at the point. I have made that clear for some time. But the talent and experience on this team going deep into the bench is certainly top 25 caliber right off the bat. But as I noted maybe the name on the uniform might drop us a couple of spots.

Regardless, although it's great to be acknowledged in the pre-season that means nothing come November.

I think we will start around 22 and play ourselves out of the top 25 with a tough OOC schedule and then play ourselves back in once we get to the Big East.

We will finish 2nd in the Big East.

assuming Delgado is back and there are no major surprises to any of our other Senior core, I do think we are a top 25 team; somewhere in the 20 to 25 range.

I think we should be in the top 3 in the Big East; not sure if there's any team that I couldn't say we can't beat in the league next season. Nova appears to have all the pieces, not sure who is back for Xavier right now.

I think the Pirates make the pre-season rankings. Metro writers who vote and those who cover other BE teams may realize the pg concern, but I think most of the country looks and sees the four top players returning after two consecutive Dance appearances, the addition of a couple of highly rated recruits and puts the Hall in the Top 25. I would expect the Hall to finish in the top three at the end of the regular BE schedule.

It would be nice to be in the top 25, but too high and pressure comes along with it. I'd like us to take a run at the Sweet 16 next year

Any reason you're trying to make us sound like some no-name school from the Sun Belt Conference? The Big East is better than most football 5 conferences. Last year we had at least as many as four teams ranked at a time. Geez, I hope those who vote on the Top 25 don't disrespect our team the way some so called fans do.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Top 25 voters are known to put in little effort or research. So what dan is saying is correct. Gary Parrish highlights the absurdity of the voter weekly in his Polls Attack column.

I think Seton Hall starts the season at 23rd (sexy preseason pick like Rhode Island last year), leaves the top 25 prior to the conference schedule (2-3 losses in the non-conference would likely do that), and ends the regular at somewhere between 17-20. This is probably good for 3rd/4th in the league. If we win at Louisville, all bets are off. That game alone is probably worth 5-7 spots.

Any reason you're trying to make us sound like some no-name school from the Sun Belt Conference? The Big East is better than most football 5 conferences. Last year we had at least as many as four teams ranked at a time. Geez, I hope those who vote on the Top 25 don't disrespect our team the way some so called fans do.
Every time someone notes that we aren't at the top of the college BB ladder or close to it you sing the same tune.

I am as big a SHU BB fan as anyone on this board and probably have been following the game far longer than you. What I want and the reality of the situation are two different things. Away from this area the name Seton Hall doesn't carry as much weight as you or I want.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for that goal but it does mean we are far from that perch at this time.

To some extent we're like Rodney Dangerfield in that we get no respect and given how long our program went without any success before we reached the Tourney the last two seasons it's understandable. A couple of things will have to happen for us to earn that respect and that is success on the court not only in the BE but against the nationally ranked programs we play in our OOC schedule and getting past the first round in the Tourney. One other element that will contribute to earning that respect is our getting the higher ranked players that draw attention to your program like a Duval would have done. I think that last element has been recognized by the staff and coincides with Kevin recently talking how we're ready to amp up our recruiting by targeting the elite players . All that remains now is for us to achieve success on the court and in our recruiting .

Last edited:
I thought at the end of last season we were playing like a top 25 team. I don't see why with a senior-laden roster, adding Cale, Sandro, Walker in place of Jones and Anthony that we won't be even better. The top 25 is a reasonable expectation when you have Angel-Desi-Carrington-Sanogo as seniors.

It's time to win some NCAA games. Nothing else really matters to me as far as next season. If we don't, the season is a bust.
Respectfully disagree with your statement. Earning a 3d consecutive NCAA bid would mean a successful season. The single game elimination format in the NCAAs has a lot of variables that can work against any team. But I would agree that winning a NCAA game would be the next step for the program.

I'd have to disagree. At some point you have to actually take that next step. If they come up empty in the NCAA the core group (plus one year of Whitehead) ends their career with 0 NCAA wins. They would have had three cracks at it. Gotta win one eventually. A loss next season in the NCAA, to me, would suggest the program has plateaued.

I'd have to disagree. At some point you have to actually take that next step. If they come up empty in the NCAA the core group (plus one year of Whitehead) ends their career with 0 NCAA wins. They would have had three cracks at it. Gotta win one eventually. A loss next season in the NCAA, to me, would suggest the program has plateaued.

I agree it'd be severely disappointing not to put an NCAA Tourney win on the board with this core group. And if that happens I'll probably bitch and moan here and criticize Willard in that moment. But I cannot agree with making overall judgments about a program based on one-game samples. Recruiting looks strong right now, lot of good vibes so far about 2018. If 4 seniors can't get it done in March, it doesn't really say anything about the future. You have to keep setting yourself up by making the dance. I think Willard is putting himself in position to do that.

It certainly seems the program is moving in the right direction (recruiting, etc). But, to me, at some point on the court results have to be part of the equation.

I completely agree. Advancing in the NCAAs is my goal for the team next year anyway... Sure, a 3rd straight appearance would be awesome, but heading into next year that is a baseline expectation in my eyes. If you want to take the next step, "getting there" is no longer the goal.

NCAA history for The Hall

PJ's 6 times in the NCAA
1. 2nd Round
2. NCAA Final
3. Elite 8
4. Sweet 16
5. 2nd Round
6. 1st Round

Amaker, 1 NCAA - Sweet 16

Orr - 2 appearances
1. 2nd Round
2. 1st Round

Willard has two 1st Round exits

Lest we forget, purse snatcher Bobby G, the Captain's bro, beat Florida. Oh wait, i forgot he did that at Manhattan. My bad. :rolleyes:

Wait, you mean he beat Billy Donovan? Why didn't he ever mention that???

It's time to win some NCAA games. Nothing else really matters to me as far as next season. If we don't, the season is a bust.

Agree with this. It's strange to say this but the regular season is almost meaningless for this upcoming season. I would consider this a disappointing year if we don't play in the 2nd week of the tourney.

Agree with this. It's strange to say this but the regular season is almost meaningless for this upcoming season. I would consider this a disappointing year if we don't play in the 2nd week of the tourney.

In general I agree, but the NCAA is all about match ups. You could get a bad draw and it makes it a bit tougher( see 2015). Need to get as high a seed as possible to advance furthest which makes the regular season pretty important IMO.

Lest we forget, purse snatcher Bobby G, the Captain's bro, beat Florida. Oh wait, i forgot he did that at Manhattan. My bad. :rolleyes:
Gonzo may have been the coach, but it was Luis Flores who won games for Manhattan. Look at Gonzos record when he wasn't on the court, including SetonHall.

Gonzo may have been the coach, but it was Luis Flores who won games for Manhattan. Look at Gonzos record when he wasn't on the court, including SetonHall.
Going the wrong way on a one way street & purse snatching are part of his illustrious off court record.

Everyone will be disappointed if we don't win a game in the tournament next season. Just disagree that the entire season is a bust if we don't. You have to get to the tournament to have a chance to win some games. So getting there means it's a successful season. Win a game or two and it's great season.

IMO we are a top 25 team . Maybe #18 to start the season. This is of course with Angel coming back.

Reactions: Seton75
We bring back four starters and the 6 and 7 man from a tourney team. We add some very good players. We lose one player.

One returnee may lead the nation on rebounds. Two others can be all league.

I see no reason why we will not be top 25. And if you proved to me 25 teams are better, I call that insufficient evidence!

Prof Ed sees it as I do. High teens

Reactions: HALL28 and hallwins
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT