ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Find Some Shooters

CT Pirate

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
We lack any guys that can flat out shoot. Our snipers are mostly miss. You can't win with just defense. There are no knock down guys. Too much up and down - mostly down against good competition. So hard to watch clang after clang from deep. I'm sure we'll go bombs away against Northeastern. Sha needs to find some shooters. Otherwise we are destined to be 500 for the foreseeable future. This season is a continuation of last years gang that couldn't shoot straight. Have to score to win.

We have proven shooters who are in a funk. College stats for our 4 guards shooting from the perimeter: Dawes 37%, Richmond 36%, Wusu 34% and Sanders 34%.

stop worrying about defense get some shooters.Iowa shot 56% no defense by Hall.Looks like a long season at bottom of BE.

Our problem is runs in a game. Usually a team has at least 2 good runs.
For the most part, we can't score more than 6 points without giving up a score.
Especially when you are in a hole at half time, and you give up a three or turn it over for a score.

I

Last edited:
We have proven shooters who are in a funk. College stats for our 4 guards shooting from the perimeter: Dawes 37%, Richmond 36%, Wusu 34% and Sanders 34%.
Funk - maybe but they're not set up for good looks or create them. Off balance or heaves from deep. The funks come against good competition. We are a bad shooting team with a two year track record. The stats speak for themselves.

Reactions: shupat08
None of them are consistently good shooters. Maybe Sanders can develop into that guy but he hasn't shown enough yet to say he can do so.

Richmond isn't a perimeter shooter. He has taken 119 threes in 92 career games. His game is from the foul line and in. He picks his spots because I'm sure he realizes his lack of shot will be exposed with volume.

Dawes and Addae-Wusu can make the shot but tend to be streaky. That's nice when they're on a roll. Not as much when they go 1-6 and 1-7 as they did respectively on Thursday.

Reactions: Section112
I'm with you about the first 3 being able to knock down 3's at some decent clip or better, depending on the game. But I'm not calling Sanders a "proven shooter" yet. I think he's a "potential shooter". Certainly has that pedigree coming from HS.

DeHere and Powell are not going to walk in the door on Monday.We have to play with who we have.

Dawes and Wusu are the weak links in the starting lineup.Give Sanders and the freshman some of their minutes.Play the hot hand that night.

Sanders also has a lot to prove. First, he barely plays. Secondly, he was only 12/37 last year from 3.

Reactions: Section112
DeHere and Powell are not going to walk in the door on Monday.We have to play with who we have.

Dawes and Wusu are the weak links in the starting lineup.Give Sanders and the freshman some of their minutes.Play the hot hand that night.
Right. If Richmond and Dawes don't perform, it doesn't matter. Especially Richmond. He was much worse than Wusu out there. They've been the worst.

Tell Holloway that.

We’ve actually had more open looks from deep this year than I can remember yet we don’t convert them at a high enough clip. The rim last night made the bricks sound even worse, lol. Bad acoustics for a team that shoots like ours. Painful even! Clang!

We’ve actually had more open looks from deep this year than I can remember yet we don’t convert them at a high enough clip. The rim last night made the bricks sound even worse, lol. Bad acoustics for a team that shoots like ours. Painful even! Clang!
Agree with this. We just haven’t made enough.

Agree with this. We just haven’t made enough.
Maybe the scouting report says, "let them shoot the three, they don't shoot well enough to hurt us."

Took 27 more shots than usc. hit only 10 of those and you win that game by at least 12

Took 19 more shots than Iowa hit just 7 of those and you win by at least a bucket.

It's that simple

Reactions: mbraue
Maybe the scouting report says, "let them shoot the three, they don't shoot well enough to hurt us."
All well and good. But if we can’t make 7+ a game we won’t win Consistently. We actually made more 3s than Iowa. Not converting enough at the rim was one factor that did us in.

Reminds me of John Thompson Olympic team. Cut Steve Kerr, Rex Chapman, Sean Elliot and Danny Ferry.

Hersey Hawkins got hurt and we were done.

I have seen at least 4 shooters from our opponents in our exhibition and first 4 games that could have helped us. Recruit to need.

Reactions: TomD82 and mbraue
None of them are consistently good shooters. Maybe Sanders can develop into that guy but he hasn't shown enough yet to say he can do so.

Richmond isn't a perimeter shooter. He has taken 119 threes in 92 career games. His game is from the foul line and in. He picks his spots because I'm sure he realizes his lack of shot will be exposed with volume.

Dawes and Addae-Wusu can make the shot but tend to be streaky. That's nice when they're on a roll. Not as much when they go 1-6 and 1-7 as they did respectively on Thursday.
Richmond perplexes me…he was better the last two years shooting 3’s As I recall.

This year not so much

but regardless, we have to shoot much better to have any chance set winning games.

Reactions: mbraue
All well and good. But if we can’t make 7+ a game we won’t win Consistently. We actually made more 3s than Iowa. Not converting enough at the rim was one factor that did us in.
We made eight and Iowa made seven. But we took eight more shots for that one make (27 to 19).

On the other hand they made 31 FGs to our 27 and took 20 fewer shots than we did.

This team isn't built to score, it's built to win games with defense. The early returns on that aren't good just as they weren't good a year ago anytime our competition level took a step up.

Richmond perplexes me…he was better the last two years shooting 3’s As I recall.

This year not so much

but regardless, we have to shoot much better to have any chance set winning games.
Last year he shot 44.4% from three but on just 36 attempts (16-36). Two years ago he was 19-55 or 34.5%.

So far this year he's 1-10. It's a small sample size but his average three-point attempts are about what they were two years ago (1.7 per game). There's plenty of time for him to raise his 3FG closer to his career averages. The concern would be that he isn't a good enough shooter to make the shot consistently with a higher volume of shots.

On the other hand, Kadary is shooting a career-best 46.3% on field goals (again a small sample size) and is doing it on 11.2 shots per game. That last number is about three shots better than his average per game his first two years (8.2 and 8.3 respectively). While I wouldn't be surprised if that FG% regressed as we face tougher competition, his percentages his first two years at Seton Hall were 40.2% and 41.7%.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT