ADVERTISEMENT

Today's question

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
By Big East season who do you see on the court for the opening tip?

I'll answer later.

I'm going to go a little different -
Walker
Carrington
Angel
Desi
Ish

Powell is my sixth man .

Posted this on another thread

I expect the staff will start Carrington. However, I see that Walker will play minimally 20 minutes at PG. Carrington will play another 10 at 2G

2G Powell starts and plays 25 minutes a game there. There are a few minutes left over where Cale can grab some minutes here, maybe up to 5 minutes.

SF. Desi will play 30 minutes here and Cale will get the remaining 10 minutes

PF. Ish starts, unless he is hurt. He will play 25-30 minutes a game. The remaining minutes will be fought by Nzei and Mamu.

C Delgado will play 32 minutes. Remaining 8 minutes will go to either Nzei or Mamu.

However, I can see Walker playing so well, that he becomes the starter pushing Carrington to the 2G position. Quite frankly, I hope we press more. Therefore, more minutes can be spread among the guards.

Carington
Powell
Desi
Angel
Sanogo
This...and the old line...it's not who starts, it's who finishes

Ballpark minutes
Delgado - 32
Carrington - 32
Desi - 28
Powell - 22
Walker - 20
Ish - 22
Nzei - 18
Mamu - 12
Cale - 10
Others - 4

I think we're going Carrington, Powell, Desi, Ish, Delgado. Cale 1st off the bench for the 2 or the 3, Walker to spell at the 1.

By Big East season who do you see on the court for the opening tip?

I'll answer later.

Regardless of how the freshman play, i don't see any of them starting. Getting a ton of minutes, yes, but not starting. The only player who could potentially be swapped out of the starting lineup is Powell but i think he's deserved it.

Walker
Carrington
Rodriguez
Sanogo
Delgado

With Powell, Cale, Nzei, and Sandro in and out.

Looking good!

Powell, Carrington, Ish, Angel, Desi. Same as pretty much everyone else. The NC schedule should let us know if Brodie and Gordon will factor in the minutes mix. Being its a tough schedule they will be forced to compete at a Big East level right away. Eron will have to step up his game and I hope he does. He'll get lots of opportunity in practice to improve playing against Walker and KC.

Obviously the starting lineup will consist of Carrington, Delgado, and Desi...
I have a strong hunch that Ish will be in the starting five as well.

By the end of the year, it'll be:
1G Walker, 2G Carrington, W Desi, F Ish, F Delgado.

I also think Gordon will earn more minutes. I have no inclination as to why though.

Delgado - 30
Carrington - 30
Desi - 30
Ish - 22
Powell - 22
Walker - 20
Nzei - 15
Gordon - 13
Cale - 10
Mamu - 8
Didn't give the others too much thought; I'm sure we will see 3-5 minutes per game from everyone else.

If we can go nine deep with double digit, quality minutes, I would be jumping for joy.

Side note, I really like this lineup.

Delgado - 32
Carrington - 32
Desi - 31
Powell - 25
Ish - 25
Cale - 18
Nzei - 12
Walker - 10
Mamu - 10
Others - 5

Funny thing....in the not so distance past Walker, Sandro and Cale would-have all gotten major minutes from day one. It took a while, and the staff did it the right way, but the program is clearly on the rise now as seen by the fact that most of us do not project major minutes for the trio. Myself personally. I only have them on the court (barring injuries) for 38 MPG.

Reactions: LBP43
Delgado - 31
Carrington - 29
Desi - 27
Powell - 23
Ish - 23
Cale - 19
Walker - 17
Mamu - 14
Nzei - 13
Others - 4

I'd play Nzei a lot more. We need him in 18-19. You don't want to lose a starting pf as a grad transfer.

I'd play Nzei a lot more.

I bet you would. That being said, he deserves a minimum of 15 minutes per game. He improved dramatically last year and his ability to finish around the rim is outstanding. Should the situation call for it, I would be comfortable with giving minutes to Ish at Center and Nzei at PF or even a front line of AD, IS and MN.

BTW - mjs429 - was your birthday this weekend?

Walker
Carrington
Rodriguez
Sanogo
Delgado

With Powell, Cale, Nzei, and Sandro in and out.

Looking good!

I'm with Piratz. This leaves the core four where they belong and are most effective. Carrington can spell Walker just like he did Madison. ( except at end of games ) We can press with these guards and always have fresh legs ready to go. Can't wait.

Reactions: LBP43
Delgado - 32
Carrington - 32
Desi - 31
Powell - 25
Ish - 25
Cale - 18
Nzei - 12
Walker - 10
Mamu - 10
Others - 5

Funny thing....in the not so distance past Walker, Sandro and Cale would-have all gotten major minutes from day one. It took a while, and the staff did it the right way, but the program is clearly on the rise now as seen by the fact that most of us do not project major minutes for the trio. Myself personally. I only have them on the court (barring injuries) for 38 MPG.
I also discounted the freshmen's time for the same reasons although you went a lot lower on Walker than me.

I'm going with a general coaching answer, but whoever earns the right to start. If guys you didn't expect work their ass off this summer and should start so be it. If guys come back out of shape, they may lose their starting spot. Reward the guys who earn it. Play the first minute of a tie game the same way you would play the last minute of a tie game. Go with the guys who are bringing it, not what have you done for me the last few years. If Cale is 10-10, he's not going to be on the bench in the final minute of a tight game. So if Cale, Sandro, Powell, Walker, or Gordon are absolutely tearing it up in practice, I'm all for any of them starting.

I also discounted the freshmen's time for the same reasons although you went a lot lower on Walker than me.
Let's hope I'm wrong and I very well could be. But I think it will take Jordan about a year to show his full potential.

PG KC (25) Walker (15)
SG MP (25) Cale (10) KC (5)
SF Desi (30) Cale (10)
PF Ish (20) Nzei (15) Sandro (5)
C Angel (32) Sandro (8)

Team chemistry is very important... Players need to put team first. If the bench is having a good game, Willard needs to be willing to play the hot hand.

Things I'm noticing/realizing:
1)we're going to have 2 underclassmen at our guard positions for about 10 mpg.
2)KC will play more pg than sg next year. (obviously i'm happy with our team but i'm still not over the idea of geno)
3)I'd really like to see the inside/outside game of Sandro and Angel but it seems like most people think we'll only see that a few minutes per game.

Carrington - 32 - gets time at both the SG and PG position
Angel - 30 - with Nzei continuing to develop and Mamu added Angel gets more rest
Desi - 28 - Desi loses minutes to Cale and when Kevin wants to go big , I.e. Angel/Ish/Nzei / Manu combos
Powell -24 - 6th. man instant offense
Ish -22 - more depth up front cuts his minutes
Cale - 16 - too talented to not get this many minutes
Nzei - 16 - big strides made last year continues and he gets more minutes
Walker - 12 - how quickly he adjusts determines his minutes
Mamu -11 - upside is large and he sees minutes to speed his development.

Legitimate 9 man rotation means distributing more minutes

Only way Powell doesn't start is if Willard quickly determines and decides Carrington doesn't work at pg and I don't expect that happens

@Vegas - so Nzei goes from starter to 12-15mpg?? That's mindboggling.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3136475/michael-nzei

He averaged 18 mins/game this past season with very little depth. He definitely had some nice games for The Hall down the stretch. I think him starting near the end of the year was a function of Ish being hurt and not 100% even when he was back. Nzei certainly gives The Hall more from an offensive standpoint than Ish.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if Ish can stay healthy and get back to an improved version of the player he was his sophomore year, he's going to play quite a few minutes as well.

If you assume Angel plays closer to 30 mins a game with more depth and to keep him fresh, unless The Hall goes small That leaves 30 minutes up front to split between Ish/Nzei and Mamu. I'm not expecting anything from Brodie this year and reports are Gill will red-shirt.

@Vegas - so Nzei goes from starter to 12-15mpg?? That's mindboggling.
No, he goes from backup pf to backup pf. He only started due to Ish's injuries. He has to earn the minutes. BTW - I'm glad he's a Pirate and love his contributions. I just don't over hype them.

Nzei started the Gtown game where Ish got injured, so that whole he only started because Ish was hurt is nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT