ADVERTISEMENT

Trevor Lawrence, NCAA players reveal five-point plan to fight racial injustice

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Greg Joyce

Trevor Lawrence is delivering a playbook for action once again.

The star Clemson quarterback, who was a leading voice behind college football players’ push to play through the pandemic this season, led another social media wave Sunday that offered up a five-point plan for the sport to combat racial injustice.

Lawrence and other college football players tweeted out a graphic that calls for change as they begin their season.

“Over the course of the past year, our community has witnessed some of the most atrocious racial injustices against countless black and African-American people,” the statement said. “Too many have fallen victim to racial injustice and systemic inequities. Enough is enough. Real change must come.

“As we return to our respective campus and most of us suit up in pads for the 2020 college football season, we realize the power we have to enact this change. We, the players, have a voice, and we will use it to drive out injustice, improve our communities and inspire the future generations.”

The graphic then outlined the five steps they want to see taken:

• “Ensure all of our teammates are registered to vote & have Nov. 3 free from athletic obligations so we can all vote.

• “Discuss with our presidents & administrators to further raise awareness about racial injustice and create initiatives to further empower our communities.

• “Create community outreach initiatives via clothing, food, school supply and book drives, as well as amplifying current local organizations that are benefiting communities.

• “Normalize having routine conversations about change (policing, legal rights, addressing racial injustice, etc.) between college football teams & our respective police departments, local governance and community leaders to build trust and empathy.

• “On gamedays, we will use our platform to raise awareness via wearing shirts, utilizing statements on our helmets and jerseys and playing tribute videos to recognize victims of racial injustice & share our own stories.”

The movement is similar to the one Lawrence and others took in August to ensure they would play this season, tweeting out a graphic that called for better health and safety procedures and the eventual creation of a college football players association.

Now they are making their voice heard once again.

“We wanted to make sure we were just as loud about making a difference as we were about playing,” Clemson running back Darien Rencher told ESPN.

Great stuff except for this:

• “On gamedays, we will use our platform to raise awareness via wearing shirts, utilizing statements on our helmets and jerseys and playing tribute videos to recognize victims of racial injustice & share our own stories.”

Could really turn into a crap show.

Reactions: HALL85

I’ll give him that one, considering the rest of his ideas are good and layout actual steps and action to take.

Yawn. A bunch of fluff, no real change. But go make sure you purchase their t-shirt!

What would you have added to these initiatives based on your own personal experience/devotion to this cause?

Invite police to schools to talk to kids and young adults. Teach kids not to resist arrest. We can also stop with the nonsense about the myth of "systemic racism."

Educate young people about the cost/responsibilities of having children, and statistics that show differences between kids from multi-parent households versus single parent households across various underlying issues (economic, social, crime, educational development).

Educate young people with statistics on the value of completing education to various points/tiers and ability to learn trades.

Also educate young black men on the statistics involving black on black crime/homicide compared to police shooting.

Educate young people about the cost/responsibilities of having children, and statistics that show differences between kids from multi-parent households versus single parent households across various underlying issues (economic, social, crime, educational development).

Educate young people with statistics on the value of completing education to various points/tiers and ability to learn trades.

Also educate young black men on the statistics involving black on black crime/homicide compared to police shooting.
Oof.

Invite police to schools to talk to kids and young adults. Teach kids not to resist arrest. We can also stop with the nonsense about the myth of "systemic racism."

You sound triggered. Would you like a safe space?

Racism is many things: systemic, unintentional, and blatant. The more people that are aware of that, the better

Last edited:

Racism is many things: systemic, unintentional, and blatant. The more people that are aware of that, the better

EDITED

C'mon. This reply is demeaning and has no business on this message board.

Please refrain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0

Agreed. The last bullet will fall on deaf ears without putting the time into the community (voting, outreach, education, communication, etc). T-shirts, tweets, etc. require no skin in the game.

@Halldan1, why do you allow this garbage to be posted without consequence? I thought childish personal attacks like this aren't allowed on this site. This poster clearly has a bizarre obsession with me for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great ideas. This is how real change and progress is made. Actions based on facts, not words.

@Halldan1, why do you allow this garbage to be posted without consequence? I thought childish personal attacks like this aren't allowed on this site. This poster clearly has a bizarre obsession with me for some reason.
You do realize I have a life and am not on this board 24/7.

I am just seeing the above. Let me read it before any action is taken while I suggest you calm down.

• Haha
Reactions: SHUSA

No need for any safe spaces here. Apparently facts make you uncomfortable. Come back to me when you actually want to debate the topic instead of being childish.

Everyone, we are facing one of the most difficult periods of our lives right now and understandably tempers are short. But I have asked multiple times for our readers/posters not to demean or name call each other and debate all topics in an adult and civilized way.

Is that really asking for too much?

Please think before you hit the enter button.

No need for any safe spaces here. Apparently facts make you uncomfortable. Come back to me when you actually want to debate the topic instead of being childish.

Facts help push a subjective narrative.

When you provide facts, I will respond accordingly? Don't talk to me about your opinion based on your (lack of) experience on the matter. Please and thank you

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Facts help push a subjective narrative.

When you provide facts, I will respond accordingly? Don't talk to me about your opinion based on your (lack of) experience on the matter. Please and thank you

dehere23 and others provided the facts I am referring to. I provided suggestions. What is wrong with my suggestions? Do you think it would be unwise for police to go in to schools and talk to young adults about policing? Do you think it would be unwise to teach people to not resist arrest when in a situation like that?

Woudn't ideas like dehere23 and shu09 suggested be a part of Trevor Lawrence's bullet point 4? Who wouldn;t agree with that? Wouldn't you agree, JRSlim2284?

Woudn't ideas like dehere23 and shu09 suggested be a part of Trevor Lawrence's bullet point 4? Who wouldn;t agree with that? Wouldn't you agree, JRSlim2284?

I do to a point. I like having people engage with law enforcement. I disagree with the concept of resisting arrest only slightly, as a lot of times kids (a lot of these same college kids) are accosted by LEO under false pretenses (obviously working with police should be universal). Im not even going to get started on systemic racism (i find it insulting to blindly believe it doesn't exist). Also, why only black on black compared to other races? And what do the other issues have to deal with racial injustice?

A lot of these "suggestions" come across as someone who lack empathy & choose not to see how someone else would.

I'll shall leave it at that. Much rather talk hoops. But I'm all for the NCAA players doing this. Waiting to see if the NFL players follow suit

I do to a point. I like having people engage with law enforcement. I disagree with the concept of resisting arrest only slightly, as a lot of times kids (a lot of these same college kids) are accosted by LEO under false pretenses (obviously working with police should be universal). Im not even going to get started on systemic racism (i find it insulting to blindly believe it doesn't exist). Also, why only black on black compared to other races? And what do the other issues have to deal with racial injustice?

A lot of these "suggestions" come across as someone who lack empathy & choose not to see how someone else would.

I'll shall leave it at that. Much rather talk hoops. But I'm all for the NCAA players doing this. Waiting to see if the NFL players follow suit

To a point? These suggestions are just a part of the discussions people and LEO should be having, it's not the only thing they shoud be discussing.

I'd like to know more about how the recent killings are more about racial injustice than poor decisions, first on the part of the deceased and then on the part of LEO. I see the George Floyd incident as being much different than the Brooks, Blake, Taylor incidents. Are all really a result of systemic racism or poor decisions/policies? And this is the part that I may not like about bullet point 5 in Lawrence's proposal. (And we all know I've been a huge Clemson football fan for over 40 years.)

The other part (and maybe moreso) about all of this isn't the killings but the day to day interactions between LEO and people of color. If me and you both get stopped for speeding, I'm pretty sure we are going to be treated differently. That is inherently wrong but there could also be some unfortunate mitigating circumstances.

BTW, it also helps in these discussions to know the person you are talking to. I know JR and he's a really good guy. I consider him a friend and if he's hurting I want to know why and what I can do to help but we also may disagree on certain aspects/issues. So be it.

I’ve heard or read many civil rights or community activists opine that if young white men were killing each other at the same rate in large cities as young black men, it would be a bigger deal with politicians, the media and public at large. That is a real problem. A sad problem. If we are going to talk about improving my communities, my point is why not educate folks on that. Because the statistics you see on a given weekend in certain large metropolis’ are mind numbing.

There is nothing more important than engaging in meaningful discussions to learn each other’s backgrounds, experiences and ideas. In the last few years I’ve had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the Syrian and Jewish Orthodox communities and to say my opinions of both are dramatically different today would be an understatement.

It seems so simple but rarely do we see that as an action item or from those who lead a cause. There is no tweet that’s going to change anything or empty rhetoric.

So much for that. Clemson and Trevor Lawrence will practice on Election Day as it's the week before their game at Notre Dame.

Pitiful. You would never see this happen in Tuscaloosa. 😁😀😁😀

So much for that. Clemson and Trevor Lawrence will practice on Election Day as it's the week before their game at Notre Dame.
ive never needed an entire day to vote. ive also never lived in places that make it hard.

sometimes athletes practice at like 6am. as long as there is something in there where coaches and schools can ensure their athletes will be able to vote then who cares if they practice before or after.

fwiw they could practice from 5am-7pm before the ballots even open in SC. or 7pm-9pm etc.

Practice doesn't take all day, they'll have time to vote.

As coddled athletes, they will be bused and delivered to the voting place and moved to the front of the line, who are we kidding?

Reactions: HALL85 and shu09
As coddled athletes, they will be bused and delivered to the voting place and moved to the front of the line, who are we kidding?

You'll have to bus them to the post office. Only 41 of the 120 players on the Clemson roster are South Carolina residents. More so, just seven of those 41 live in Clemson, SC and four of them are named Swinney or Venables.

Let them get up early in the morning and vote then back to classes/practice.

You'll have to bus them to the post office. Only 41 of the 120 players on the Clemson roster are South Carolina residents. More so, just seven of those 41 live in Clemson, SC and four of them are named Swinney or Venables.

That isn't necessarily true, you can chose to vote in the state where you are currently residing, hence in this case Clemson, SC.

That isn't necessarily true, you can chose to vote in the state where you are currently residing, hence in this case Clemson, SC.

Depending on the home state of most of the players, some votes may get washed out given SC is a Red State.

This is the way to upward mobilty and widespread equality. But it will take time and discipline and the admission that the problem is as much sociological as it is discriminatory.
I hope I live to see a true breakthrough and not just gestures and wasted money.

Train police properly and have accountability.

Last edited:
Train police properly and have accountability.

Accountability goes both ways. Just because you're a minority does not mean you're exempt from following laws and acting in an adult manner when you do interact with LEO

Reactions: shu09
Accountability goes both ways. Just because you're a minority does not mean you're exempt from following laws and acting in an adult manner when you do interact with LEO
Totally agree that the punishment should fit the crime.
I don’t agree when it doesn’t.

Also, the claim just cooperate with police doesn’t really apply to those with mental disabilities, mental illness, under the influence etc and the police need to be properly trained to handle situations appropriately so that it doesn’t end with death when they were called in the first place to help the situation. Serve and protect.

Totally agree that the punishment should fit the crime.
I don’t agree when it doesn’t.

Also, the claim just cooperate with police doesn’t really apply to those with mental disabilities, mental illness, under the influence etc and the police need to be properly trained to handle situations appropriately so that it doesn’t end with death when they were called in the first place to help the situation. Serve and protect.

Agreed mental illness is a huge problem. They shouldbe getting care in facilities. I am less sympathetic to those under the influence as that's an adult choice.

Reactions: dehere23 and shu09
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT