ADVERTISEMENT

UConn center Donovan Clingan entering NBA draft

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

UConn 7-foot-2 sophomore Donovan Clingan -- one of the cornerstones of the Huskies' back-to-back NCAA championship teams -- will enter the 2024 NBA draft.

The No. 3 prospect in ESPN's Top 100 list, Clingan is expected to be in the running to become the No. 1 pick in the June draft after a dominant late-season and NCAA tournament run.

Clingan leaves UConn for the NBA after a historic high school and college career. Before joining coach Dan Hurley at UConn, Clingan became one of Connecticut's all-time scholastic legends for Bristol Central High School under coach Tim Barrette.

Clingan said in a post on social media that his two years at UConn "exceeded all my dreams and expectations."

After overcoming some early-season struggles, Clingan, 20, played his best basketball in March and April. He used his 7-foot-7 wingspan and tremendous timing to become a prolific shot-blocker, averaging 2.5 to rank eighth in the nation.

Clingan also played an immense role for the nation's No. 1-ranked offense. The Huskies ran many of their half-court sets through Clingan in the low, mid and high posts. He set screens, facilitated out of dribble handoffs, finished well with both hands and displayed polished footwork at the rim.

Clingan averaged 15.3 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.2 blocks in the Huskies' 2024 tournament run, all up from his season averages. He had a career-high eight blocks in a second-round victory over Northwestern. His 19 total blocks in the NCAA tournament were the most since the 2016 tournament.

Clingan was one of two players with 400 points, 80 blocks and 50 assists in Division I this season -- along with back-to-back John R. Wooden Award winner Zach Edey of Purdue, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The NBA draft will be June 26-27 in New York City.

Reactions: CL82
their entire starting 5 will prob enter and be drafted. crazy.

this is a historically bad draft class that Clingin is a verified lottery pick and might even go top 5. its that bad, normally he would be in the 50s and a depth center.

if Richmond isnt even entering the draft it tells you everything you need to know.

• Haha
Wish him luck. clingan will be top 10. In my opinion, it would not be smart for any player not almost guaranteed to be first round pick to leave college early. Not with the crazy cash they are getting in college now. Stay in college until you are not eligible. That is state of the game now.

Last edited:
Karaban is staying. I don’t know if Spencer has any eligibility left.

Karaban is staying. I don’t know if Spencer has any eligibility left.
Karaban is still thinking about it. He would probably be a high second round pick. He should stay.

Spencer is out of eligibility. he applied to the NCAA to get a medical waiver for another year but was turned down.

Castle hasn't formally announced, but he is likely gone. He should be a lottery pick as well.

Newton is out of eligibility. I haven't heard anything about where he might go, but 1 would think there's a spot for a two time finals MOP and an all American.

Karaban is still thinking about it. He would probably be a high second round pick. He should stay.

Spencer is out of eligibility. he applied to the NCAA to get a medical waiver for another year but was turned down.

Castle hasn't formally announced, but he is likely gone. He should be a lottery pick as well.

Newton is out of eligibility. I haven't heard anything about where he might go, but 1 would think there's a spot for a two time finals MOP and an all American.
Sounds like Danny's ready for another run at the National Championship!!

unless you're getting a ton of money, now is the year to go. i know you laughed at my comment, but it's true this might be the worst draft in 30 years. id advise them to go

Unless a player has an inside track on a two way contract he can make way more staying in college for as long as possible.

Sounds like Danny's ready for another run at the National Championship!!
Honestly, I don't think he's wired to do anything else. Terris Reed was at the national championship parade. That would be a good start.
unless you're getting a ton of money, now is the year to go. i know you laughed at my comment, but it's true this might be the worst draft in 30 years. id advise them to go
I agree, but I have a different thought process. These guys playing careers are limited and duration. If you defer a potential $20 million salary, you're never gonna catch up to what you've lost financially by doing that.

Unless a player has an inside track on a two way contract he can make way more staying in college for as long as possible.
I hear this a lot, but I don't know that it's true. It seems predicated on an analysis based on the ideas that NIL Evaporates when you leave college and go to the pros. I'm not sure that's true. I think it just becomes an endorsement deal. So it's not either the NBA or NIL it's both.

(Agree that your deal with Joe Blows pizzeria might blow up, but that's really not where the material money is.)

Honestly, I don't think he's wired to do anything else. Terris Reed was at the national championship parade. That would be a good start.

I agree, but I have a different thought process. These guys playing careers are limited and duration. If you defer a potential $20 million salary, you're never gonna catch up to what you've lost financially by doing that.
right i'm saying enter the draft. everyone should who is predicted to get picked

I hear this a lot, but I don't know that it's true. It seems predicated on an analysis based on the ideas that NIL Evaporates when you leave college and go to the pros. I'm not sure that's true. I think it just becomes an endorsement deal. So it's not either the NBA or NIL it's both.

(Agree that your deal with Joe Blows pizzeria might blow up, but that's really not where the material money is.)

Most NIL does evaporate bc these kids aren’t getting NIL for advertising a business they are getting pay to play money. Very few of these players are getting pure NIL.

Most NIL does evaporate bc these kids aren’t getting NIL for advertising a business they are getting pay to play money. Very few of these players are getting pure NIL.
Depends, if you are getting major company NIL, you keep it.

I think we all know that most of the NIL money that most players are getting is from collectives. That's not NIL, it's pay-to-play.

The G League salary is about $40,000. I'd suspect there's very little real endorsement money for a G League player unless it's tied to the local market. Even then that's probably not much.

I doubt Nike is paying big bucks for so-and-so who is playing in Fort Wayne or Delaware.

Bottom line, to me, is if you're making $50 K in college and you're not a sure bet NBA roster (including two-way) player, staying in school is the better financial move.

Reactions: Jerry1992
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT