ADVERTISEMENT

UConn Women get hosed by refs

This doesn't look like a moving / illegal screen to anyone else?

In addition to the movement, looks like a bonus push. First angle most clear view.

I mean, I agree it sucks to get whistled for a foul in that late situation. But we also get on refs for not calling fouls that are fouls because "they don't want to decide the game." But the player deciding to foul is making the true decision.

Anyway, doesn't feel like our 89 situation to me because I watch those replays and see nothing. Watching this one and see a foul

Watching these slowed down zoom ins. If not manipulated, very clearly a foul

If uconn were isu last night and we were Iowa, would anyone here honestly have been arguing a whistle shouldn't have been blown?

Reactions: Section112
I think if she had kept her hands at her side and set a normal base with her left foot she would have set an effective pick and there would have been no foul. Admittedly a tough call in that situation, but if they don’t call the foul then the refs are affecting the outcome of the game which none of us want. As Geno said at the end of the game they need to set better picks

Reactions: Bluebeard
I’d agree it was a foul, but there were many times during the game when the refs let that go. Edward’s probably had over 10 fouls with her moving screens.

just a crappy way to end the game.

If it is an infraction it should be called at any point in a game. This is a very black/white issue on X this morning.

Is this really controversial? Clearly a foul and perhaps if the player didn’t shove the defensive player that is let go by the refs. But no way can this be a controversial call. Any other time of the game it’s a clear foul.

Watching these slowed down zoom ins. If not manipulated, very clearly a foul

If uconn were isu last night and we were Iowa, would anyone here honestly have been arguing a whistle shouldn't have been blown?
I wish the Giants left Tackle could block like that. Definitely a moving screen. I worked like the BE to win but that is a foul.

It was a foul, but I hate when a whistle determines the finish of a game, especially a game of such importance.

Of course we can always depend on a few nutty posts insisting that “it’s all rigged”. Yes, of course it was rigged….just like yesterday’s earthquake.

As Geno said at the end of the game they need to set better picks
That was sarcasm. He said "We got called for three moving screens during the game and they weren't called for any [looong pause]... I guess we have to get better at that." 18-9 foul disparity is troubling as well.

The moving screen call down by one with three seconds left in the game is a tough way to go out after a really inspired season in which the team showed tremendous heart in overcoming seven player injuries.

Last edited:
Definitely a tough call at that critical moment of the game. If she didn’t add the shove, I think they let that one go. It was a terrific game. UConn was definitely more aggressive and that usually leads to more foul calls. Iowa adjusted in the second half and Clark’s passing was incredible instead of forcing up shots. UConn missed a wide open three with 2 or 3 minutes that would have helped. Great plan by Gino and the team played great. Just couldn’t get that last key score.

Iowa is gonna get hammered by SC.

Reactions: TheBluePirate
The lack of consistency was the issue here., IMO. While this one call in particular wasn't necessarily wrong, Iowa was getting away with things all night that UConn was consistently getting away with, illegal screens included. Watching the game, it felt like UConn was getting a raw deal from the officials long before that final play. It was just one last hit.

Reactions: CL82
That screen was moving. But hard to make that call there. Doesn’t help the sentiment with the fact Clark has been getting every call along the way

its 100% rigged. they need eyes on caitlin clark. and if they can rig it for the girls they can rig it for the men .
Agree 100% with you .Rigged again against the BIG EAST and people have to go to slow motion to justify the call tell you it is a BS call.

• Haha
Reactions: shu09
That was sarcasm. He said "We got called for three moving screens during the game and they weren't called for any [looong pause]... I guess we have to get better at that." 18-9 foul disparity is troubling as well.

The moving screen call down by one with three seconds left in the game is a tough way to go out after a really inspired season in which the team showed tremendous heart in overcoming seven player injuries.
Very tough way to go out. I’ve got mixed feelings about this one. I wanted UConn to win for the league, but on the other hand, the call was a no-doubter. If the Huskies had gone on to win, Iowa would have had a legit beef over a non-call there. But believe me, we here get it — that late whistle in a big spot is so jarring.

By the way, I had a nice chat this week with the good folks who produce the UConn alumni magazine. You probably realize they printed five different covers after the NCAA title last year, and then licensed the cover images on some merch? They hooked me up with the coffee mug with the DNA twine on it. Maybe it’ll bring good Big East luck this weekend, not that they’ll probably need it.

I won’t bother going back to look, but if the same ref made the same call consistently throughout the game, then it is what it is. Tough way to go out, but fair nonetheless. If the same ref let a few of those go throughout the game, he can’t make the call in that spot.

Very tough way to go out. I’ve got mixed feelings about this one. I wanted UConn to win for the league, but on the other hand, the call was a no-doubter. If the Huskies had gone on to win, Iowa would have had a legit beef over a non-call there. But believe me, we here get it — that late whistle in a big spot is so jarring.

By the way, I had a nice chat this week with the good folks who produce the UConn alumni magazine. You probably realize they printed five different covers after the NCAA title last year, and then licensed the cover images on some merch? They hooked me up with the coffee mug with the DNA twine on it. Maybe it’ll bring good Big East luck this weekend, not that they’ll probably need it.
The wrong call at the wrong time? Maybe, but if uconn scores there iowa has the same beef. A foul was committed. And while that player is very good that was a dumb play.

Was it an anti BE call. No. If anything it was a pro ratings/caitlan call

I have heard newscasters say 5 times how much more expensive the tickets for the womens ff are. That is terrific. I do wish once this info was reported in the context of 20k tickets vs 70k

Reactions: Bluebeard

I agree on the disparity but that was foul.

I won’t bother going back to look, but if the same ref made the same call consistently throughout the game, then it is what it is. Tough way to go out, but fair nonetheless. If the same ref let a few of those go throughout the game, he can’t make the call in that spot.

A moving screen is always a tough call but they let a bunch go during the game. UConn runs a lot of screens and if they called the game tight, most of Edwards screens were probably illegal.

Watching live, I didn't have the right angle though. It was more obvious watching from the refs perspective in the replays this morning.

Last night may have been the first women’s game I’ve ever watched on TV for more than 2 minutes. I don’t know how the games are typically officiated, but was surprised by the call in that spot because it didn’t seem so blatant a violation.

Read something about the ratings for some of these games and they are wild.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
I watched the uconn women back in the sue bird swin cash days. Then diana joined in. Great hoops. The bird and taurasi show is a good watch. I guess this yr is unprecedented with the number of injuries they suffered. Bird and taurasi both have won 5 olympic golds. Incredible.

The Clark inspired ratings do fuel the conspiracy thinking. But everything is a conspiracy these days.

Make the call or dont. Either way one team gets screwed.

It was a good call. Can't do that even in the last 9 seconds of a Final 4 game.

Definitely a tough call at that critical moment of the game. If she didn’t add the shove, I think they let that one go. It was a terrific game. UConn was definitely more aggressive and that usually leads to more foul calls. Iowa adjusted in the second half and Clark’s passing was incredible instead of forcing up shots. UConn missed a wide open three with 2 or 3 minutes that would have helped. Great plan by Gino and the team played great. Just couldn’t get that last key score.

Iowa is gonna get hammered by SC.
Iowa was making more shots because at the end of the first half the refs switched up the way they were calling things and three or four Connecticut players had two fouls on them. When Connecticut was allowed to play defense it shut down Iowa's offense. I think Clark may have had two points in the first half. Once foul trouble prevented Connecticut from playing defense, it was a different story. She ended with 21 points.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I don't watch women's basketball so not sure if the rules are any different if at all, but by the men's rules that's clearly an illegal screen. Incontrovertible.

Reactions: HALL85
Reactions: silkcitypirate
Very jealous! That was my favorite of the covers! I ended up with the hand with the five rings on it, which was my second favorite.

poster-1.png

Reactions: SHUSource
Very jealous! That was my favorite of the covers! I ended up with the hand with the five rings on it, which was my second favorite.

poster-1.png
Most people in the room liked this one the best, but the UConn staff said the DNA one was the biggest seller, as far as the merchandise went. The guy who shot this photo talked about the process of 1) finding a suitable fake for the thumb run, since they shot the photo something like two weeks after the game, and 2) finding the right hand. They wound up using a student the photographer approached on campus. He had nothing to do with the program.

Reactions: CL82 and chickenbox
when the game’s on the line, a ref, in any sport, should not call a foul that might otherwise be called if no substantial advantage resulted from the infraction. I didn’t see any substantial advantage.

Not saying it’s rigged. Just bad officiating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT