ADVERTISEMENT

UConn's Donovan Clingan injured

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

The UConn star was expected to take a big jump in Year 2​

By Cameron Salerno

UConn sophomore center Donovan Clingan will miss at least the next month due to a foot strain suffered in practice earlier this week, the school announced on Friday. Clingan is expected to be back when the reigning national champions open the season at home on Nov. 6 against Northern Arizona.

UConn is hoping the 7-foot-2 big man will make a massive jump in his second season after spending last season backing up star center Adama Sanogo.

With Sanogo, Jordan Hawkins and Andre Jackson Jr. all departing for the NBA, Clingan was due for a larger role after averaging 6.9 points, 5.6 rebounds on 65.5% shooting in only 13.1 minutes per game. Clingan scored four points and had three rebounds in the national championship win over San Diego State.

Rutgers transfer Cam Spencer, freshman Stephone Castle and returners Tristen Newton and Alex Karaban all are expected to have larger roles in preseason workouts to fill the void until Clingan returns.

UConn's first test of the season is against Indiana on Nov. 19. The Huskies also have nonconference matchups against Kansas, North Carolina and Gonzaga before Big East play starts on Dec. 20 against Seton Hall.

• Wow
Reactions: walshtrips
Hopefully he does the smart thing, and sits out the season getting the appropriate rest to ensure the injury heals well, and then immediately declares for draft (and is a lottery pick). I think this approach works well for all parties involved....lol.

Never good for big men to have foot issues (see Bill Walton). It could linger all year. Wonder if our buddy CL 82 is concerned? I know he should be about his 0-4 football team. The Jim Mora aura has been tarnished. Might be looking at a 2-10 season with wins over mighty Sacred Heart and UMASS. Brett Yormark and his BIG 12 AD's can't be impressed with the CONN football squad.

Reactions: Pirate Russ
Never good for big men to have foot issues (see Bill Walton). It could linger all year. Wonder if our buddy CL 82 is concerned? I know he should be about his 0-4 football team. The Jim Mora aura has been tarnished. Might be looking at a 2-10 season with wins over mighty Sacred Heart and UMASS. Brett Yormark and his BIG 12 AD's can't be impressed with the CONN football squad.
The Big 12 presidents have never been impressed.

• Haha
Reactions: CT Pirate
Speaking of big east bigs with foot injuries… our buddy Mr. Freemantle…….

The Clingan article doesn't even mention Samson Johnson, yet from a position standpoint I suspect he would actually be the guy to "fill the void until Clingan returns." I wonder how much they're expecting out of him this year.

Reactions: CL82
UMass might be another loss unless it’s UMass-Boston. 🫢

• Haha
Never good for big men to have foot issues (see Bill Walton). It could linger all year. Wonder if our buddy CL 82 is concerned?
So, quick question. When I answer your question are you going to complain that I am posting about Connecticut on the Seton Hall board, even though you named me in your post? Because that kind of seems like your MO at this point.

The answer is, of course I am concerned. Foot sprains are always a concern for big men in particular. That said, word is he'll be back by the end of the month.

I know he should be about his 0-4 football team. The Jim Mora aura has been tarnished. Might be looking at a 2-10 season with wins over mighty Sacred Heart and UMASS.
I am concerned about the football team. The whole "four game" transfer rule, the portal and NIL is really problematic for non P* schools. We lost a huge amount of talent in the skilled positions in the off-season and then our number one and number two backs to the in season (less than four game) transfer rule. It's a problem.

Still, they put up a good showing last night losing 34 to 33 to Utah State. Don't love the loss, obviously, but the offense and our second string quarterback are looking much better. For what it's worth, we're becoming an entertaining team to watch particularly when we feature our "grizzly" package where we run our 6 foot 300 pound defensive lineman as a running back. He's basically unstoppable in short heritage situations, has a few touchdowns and even caught a screen pass for us. It's fun football.

Brett Yormark and his BIG 12 AD's can't be impressed with the CONN football squad.
Yormark was never interested in us for our football prowess, instead he liked the idea of having a five times national champion eastern basketball power in the conference. ADs don't vote on conference realignment, presidents do. The last round of realignment made clear that the presidents are not taking a G* school if P* schools are available. That said I see the big 12 is being fairly stable in the near term with no more growth or loss. Connecticut's only play would be to align with the smoldering remains of the ACC when that conference gets blown up. Not a great option but likely considerably more lucrative then the Big East's basketball only contract

The Clingan article doesn't even mention Samson Johnson, yet from a position standpoint I suspect he would actually be the guy to "fill the void until Clingan returns." I wonder how much they're expecting out of him this year.
Agree. He's a different kind of a player though. Less physically dominant but he actually has great hops and a decent three point shot.

C’mon CL82. Your football is terrible, it’s not entertaining. When do Sacred Heart and UMASS show up on the schedule so that UCONN can start notching some wins. You’re losing some credibility with your football stuf.

I do agree that UCONN’s last chance for an invite is the implosion of the ACC. When that will happen is anyone’s guess. But the league‘s demise has been predicted for a few years now but it hasn’t happened. That GOR must be really strong.

• Haha
So, quick question. When I answer your question are you going to complain that I am posting about Connecticut on the Seton Hall board, even though you named me in your post? Because that kind of seems like your MO at this point.

The answer is, of course I am concerned. Foot sprains are always a concern for big men in particular. That said, word is he'll be back by the end of the month.

I am concerned about the football team. The whole "four game" transfer rule, the portal and NIL is really problematic for non P* schools. We lost a huge amount of talent in the skilled positions in the off-season and then our number one and number two backs to the in season (less than four game) transfer rule. It's a problem.

Still, they put up a good showing last night losing 34 to 33 to Utah State. Don't love the loss, obviously, but the offense and our second string quarterback are looking much better. For what it's worth, we're becoming an entertaining team to watch particularly when we feature our "grizzly" package where we run our 6 foot 300 pound defensive lineman as a running back. He's basically unstoppable in short heritage situations, has a few touchdowns and even caught a screen pass for us. It's fun football.

Yormark was never interested in us for our football prowess, instead he liked the idea of having a five times national champion eastern basketball power in the conference. ADs don't vote on conference realignment, presidents do. The last round of realignment made clear that the presidents are not taking a G* school if P* schools are available. That said I see the big 12 is being fairly stable in the near term with no more growth or loss. Connecticut's only play would be to align with the smoldering remains of the ACC when that conference gets blown up. Not a great option but likely considerably more lucrative then the Big East's basketball only contract

CL 82 - you bring great content - have to compliment you on that - especially your hoops commentary where UCONN owns the Big East. Having said that, this take is hilarious. A good showing ? That is another home loss to a mediorce (at best) team to go to 0-5 with four home losses. An entertaining team to watch - based on one game. Duke slapped you all around the field sans a garbage TD. If you call 41-7 enteraining so be it. I bet ESPN Game Day is all geared up to cover the "Grizzly" package. Maybe the Bear can break it down. Fun football is not 0-5. Please come back to us or give up the gummies on Saturday. Nothing beats playing Rice as must watch and not to be missed entertainment. I bet CBS is dropping their SEC package to jump on that tilt..

C’mon CL82. Your football is terrible, it’s not entertaining. When do Sacred Heart and UMASS show up on the schedule so that UCONN can start notching some wins. You’re losing some credibility with your football stuf.

I do agree that UCONN’s last chance for an invite is the implosion of the ACC. When that will happen is anyone’s guess. But the league‘s demise has been predicted for a few years now but it hasn’t happened. That GOR must be really strong.
Actually, this past weekend was very entertaining. Unfortunately we didn't end up with a win. I'd say our opening game in the last game we're both good games. The two in the middle they were unpleasant to watch.

• Haha
CL 82 - you bring great content - have to compliment you on that - especially your hoops commentary where UCONN owns the Big East. Having said that, this take is hilarious. A good showing ? That is another home loss to a mediorce (at best) team to go to 0-5 with four home losses. An entertaining team to watch - based on one game. Duke slapped you all around the field sans a garbage TD. If you call 41-7 enteraining so be it. I bet ESPN Game Day is all geared up to cover the "Grizzly" package. Maybe the Bear can break it down. Fun football is not 0-5. Please come back to us or give up the gummies on Saturday. Nothing beats playing Rice as must watch and not to be missed entertainment. I bet CBS is dropping their SEC package to jump on that tilt..
Nobody said the Duke game was entertaining. Particularly from my perspective. Duke fans might have enjoyed it. If you don't think a 34-33 game decided at the last second is entertaining, I don't know what to say to you other than footballs probably not your thing. Seeing Stafford for UConn doing his impression of fridge perry is entertaining as all heck. Utah State didn't have an answer.

CBS doesn't have our game CBS Sportsnet does. They exercised their option on us and renewed the contract for $1M per year.

• Haha
Nobody said the Duke game was entertaining. Particularly from my perspective. Duke fans might have enjoyed it. If you don't think a 34-33 game decided at the last second is entertaining, I don't know what to say to you other than footballs probably not your thing. Seeing Stafford for UConn doing his impression of fridge perry is entertaining as all heck. Utah State didn't have an answer.

CBS doesn't have our game CBS Sportsnet does. They exercised their option on us and renewed the contract for $1M per year.
Dude - I love football and have for almost 60 years. One million in TV rights fee is chump change. I'll give you yesterday as being entertaining. I have multiple close friends who graduated from UCONN (they had season tickets for years) and they've drifted away based on a decade plus of irrelevance. They weren't impressed by a close loss to powerhouse Utah State. Yesterday's game was entertaining but it is still an L. The old moral victory or keeping it close. Do you think conference leaders pick future teams based on the entertainment factor? It's all about W's. Stick to what the Conn does very well - hoops. Read the Bottom Ten on ESPN by Ryan McGhee - the Conn is a long time punching bag. Your defense of the football program is laughable. You haven't had a winning program sincec 2010. Almost 15 years. Entertaining - let's see how many people show up for the South Florida and Scared Heart games - maybe 10,000 at best (actual fannies in the seats) That is the judge of how people respond to the entertainment factor.

Agree. He's a different kind of a player though. Less physically dominant but he actually has great hops and a decent three point shot.
Look at at Fremantle - this is his third surgery. Seems like for Klingan this is nowhere the same issue. Not yet - rest up young man and sit out the Seton Hall game. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: CL82
Yesterday's game was entertaining but it is still an L.
Yes it was entertaining and yes it was still a loss. Both things can be true.

This is a tough season, and as you have pointed out, we've had a lot of them, but all you can do as a fan is watch and hope for improvement. The fact that our backup quarterback and our third string and lower running backs were able to navigate us to 33 points in a season where we have not been over 20 yet is something.

I'm sorry to hear that your friends have lost interest in Connecticut football. Hopefully, we will turn things around so they can jump on the bandwagon. Every team has fans like that.

I'm glad that you're doing so well that $1 million/year doesn't seem like a lot of money to you, but here's the thing CBS Sportsnet pays Connecticut $1 million a year to broadcast six games a year. Now, we can agree that's not Big Ten or SEC money, but $1 million for six games it's not nothing.

Last edited:
The Athletic has UCONN rated at #129 out of 133 FBS teams. Enough said. C’mon 82, let’s talk hoops!

The Athletic has UCONN rated at #129 out of 133 FBS teams. Enough said. C’mon 82, let’s talk hoops!
CL 82 is busy watching and breaking down tape of the RICE Owls. Hoping that RIce hasn't gotten tape on the vaunted Grizzly package. Searching for the elusive first win of the season joining Nevada (0-5) Sam Houston State (0-4) and Virginia (0-5) as the only winless teams in the country. 5:00 start time . Appt TV. Hope you have ESPN + or at least CL 82 has it. Can't miss out on that entertaining brand of football.

Fully agree. I'll respond to anyone who's got questions about Connecticut but talking about another teams struggling football team doesn't sound particularly interesting for you guys to me.

Back to Donovan. Fingers crossed that this is just a momentary problem that's fully resolved by the time the season starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT