ADVERTISEMENT

Update on the virus

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Not sports related. But this issue transcends sports....

https://weather.com/health/coronavi...virus-covid-19-daily-updates-states-reopening

Coronavirus Updates: U.S. Adds Another 3.8 Million Unemployed Workers
By Ron Brackett
2 hours ago
weather.com

Fauci: Second Wave 'Inevitable;' Drug Shows Promise

The nation’s top infectious disease doctor warns a second wave of coronavirus is “inevitable,” but says a new drug shows promise as a treatment.

At a Glance
  • A total of more than 30 million people have filed for jobless benefits.
  • Federal social distancing guidelines will not be extended after they expire today.
  • Macy's announces plans to reopen stores starting with 68 on Monday.
Another 3.8 million Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week as the coronavirus pandemic drove the U.S. economy further into a crisis.

About 30.3 million people have now filed for jobless aid in the six weeks since the outbreak began forcing millions of employers to close their doors and slash their workforces. Economists have said the unemployment rate for April could go as high as 20%. That would be the highest rate since it reached 25% during the Great Depression.

More than half the states will begin reopening by the end of the week, and Florida joins them on Monday. Federal social distancing guidelines also are set to expire today and President Donald Trump said he won't extend them.

“They’ll be fading out, because now the governors are doing it,” Trump told reporters Wednesday.

However, the nation's top infectious disease expert warns if states begin lifting restrictions too early, the country could see a rebound of COVID-19.

Dr. Anthony Fauci said a second round of the coronavirus is "inevitable."

"If by that time we have put into place all of the countermeasures that you need to address this, we should do reasonably well," Fauci said. "If we don't do that successfully, we could be in for a bad fall and a bad winter."

So far, more than 1 million Americans have been infected and over 61,000 have died, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. The virus has killed more than 228,000 people worldwide. Confirmed infections globally topped 3.2 million.

Latest Developments
United States:

-A statement from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said U.S. intelligence agencies have concluded the new coronavirus was “not manmade or genetically modified." The statement said they are still examining whether the origins of the pandemic trace to contact with infected animals or an accident at a Chinese lab. The news comes as President Trump and his allies have touted the as-yet-unproven theory that an infectious disease lab in Wuhan, the epicenter of the Chinese outbreak, was the source of the global pandemic, The Associated Press reported.

-Macy's plans to reopen 68 stores on Monday in states that have loosened restrictions, the Wall Street Journal reported, and all the company's 775 stores should be reopened in six weeks if state and local governments allow it, CEO Jeff Gennette said. Restrictions will include requiring customers to use hand sanitizer before trying on jewelry and opening fewer fitting rooms. Plexiglass will be installed at registers.

-Dr. Aneesh Mehta, an infectious diseases expert at Emory University who is leading the Remdesivir drug trials, told ABC's "Good Morning America" the drug provides a “glimmer of hope” for coronavirus treatment. "We have been getting patients better but we are looking to find a medication that helps patients get better more rapidly, get them home to their families and make more room for other patients," Mehta said. He added: “I think now we have the first glimmer of hope of something that can do that.”

-Dr. Fauci confirmed on NBC News "Today" show that he has been working on the Trump administration's "Operation Warp Speed" project that is seeking expedite production of a vaccine for the coronavirus. He said it's possible the U.S. could be developing hundreds of million of vaccine doses by January "if things fall in the right place."

-Karen Pence, wife of Vice President Mike Pence, defended him for not wearing a mask during a visit to the Mayo Clinic on Tuesday. "First of all, it was a great visit to Mayo. They are doing amazing research with blood from recovered Covid-19 patients, and as our medical experts have told us wearing a mask prevents you from spreading the disease. And knowing that he doesn't have COVID-19, he didn't wear one,” she told Fox & Friends. She said Pence only found out the Mayo Clinic’s policy of requiring masks after leaving – although the clinic said the staff was told.

Worldwide:

-A reduction in pollution caused by coronavirus lockdowns has helped Europe avoid 11,000 deaths over the past month, a study showed. There has been about a 40% reduction in average level of nitrogen dioxide pollution and a 10% drop in average level of particle matter pollution across Europe over the past 30 days, the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air said. These pollution reductions have led to the substantial depletion in deaths caused by asthma, strokes and other pre-existing conditions, according to the center.

-The town of Lund in southern Sweden spread a ton of chicken manure across the central park to discourage thousands of people from gathering for the annual, unofficial Walpurgis Night, according to NBC News. As many as 30,000 people have shown up before for "Sweden's largest picnic." “It will both fertilize the lawn of the park for the summer, at the same time, it will stink,” Lund's Mayor Phillip Sandberg said.

-British World War II veteran Tom Moore, who has raised almost $38 million for the National Health Service, was promoted to honorary colonel by Queen Elizabeth II to mark his 100th birthday Thursday. He raised the money by walking 100 lengths of his garden. He has received more than 130,000 birthday cards from around the globe. As part of his birthday celebration, two WWII-era military planes flew above his house in Bedford, England.

-The first coronavirus case has been confirmed among Somalia’s more than 2.5 million internally displaced people, the United Nations refugee agency said. The U.N. agency says the spread could be “catastrophic” in Somalia has one of the world’s most fragile health systems after nearly three decades of conflict, The Associated Press reported.

Many people have heard of the Payroll Protection Program. As a business owner I think, for a government program , it is ingenious and we will result in a significant reduction in unemployment during the summer.
Basically it is a loan that is forgivable if 75% is used to rehire your employees and the rest can be forgiven if used for rent, mortgage interest or utilities. So as a business owner, I could use that money and take a month trip to the Maldives, but would have to pay it all back with interest. Or I could use it to rehire all my employees and the loan is forgiven.
I predict the vast majority who received the PPP loan will choose the second option and hire their employees back.

My brother-in-law has already taken advantage of that. Otherwise he would have had to lay off all his construction workers putting his company in jeopardy as the spring and summer are his busy seasons.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/27/business/los-angeles-lakers-return-ppp-loan-trnd/index.html

Lakers return $4.6 million coronavirus relief loan

By Alicia Wallace, CNN Business

San Francisco (CNN Business)The Los Angeles Lakers has repaid a $4.6 million coronavirus relief loan the professional basketball organization received as part of the federal government's Paycheck Protection Program.

"The Lakers qualified for and received a loan under the Payroll Protection Program," a Lakers spokesperson wrote in a statement emailed to CNN Business. "However, once we found out the funds from the program had been depleted, we repaid the loan so that financial support would be directed to those most in need. The Lakers remain completely committed to supporting both our employees and our community."

The Lakers -- the second-most valuable NBA team with a $4.4 billion valuation, according to Forbes -- is the latest big-name entity to obtain and subsequently return money touted as a Covid-19 relief measure for small businesses. The news was first reported by ESPN.

The highly trumpeted PPP effort has come under scrutiny following reports that large businesses, including publicly traded companies, received high-value loans. The $349 billion in funding, which was quickly depleted, was intended to help small businesses. Following public scrutiny, businesses such as Shake Shack (SHAK), Ruth's Hospitality (RUTH) and Kura (KRUS) Sushi said they would return their multimillion-dollar loans.

Late last week, Treasury issued guidance intended to prevent large entities -- especially those with other means of securing funding -- from receiving the loans. Companies that cannot, "in good faith," prove that the loan is necessary for their business after fully taking into account their liquidity and operations were asked to repay the loans by May 7, 2020.

The Lakers organization qualified for the $4.6 million PPP loan because it has 303 full- and part-time employees, a source with knowledge of the situation told CNN. The source also said the company has not and is not planning to furlough or lay off any employees and that the Lakers' top executives agreed to defer 20% of their salaries to ensure other employees could be paid.

The Lakers have contributed to a fund along with the Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Kings to provide financial support to employees of Staples Center.

Any loans returned or repaid will go back into the program for future disbursement, an SBA spokesperson told CNN Business last week.

The SBA has not disclosed who was approved for PPP loans and the amount received. CNN and other entities have filed Freedom of Information Act requests for this information. More than 200 publicly traded companies received at least $870 million in PPP loans, according to a FactSquared analysis of US Securities and Exchange Commission filings.
As of April 16, the SBA had approved more than 1.66 million loans for more than $342.2 billion, according to an agency report. Of those, 4,412 were for $5 million and above. The high-value loans represented 0.3% of the total number of loans and 9% of the overall dollar value.

"When a wildly successful sports franchise that can afford to pay LeBron James nearly $40 million a year is being shamed into returning paycheck protection program funds, the question we should be asking is why the White House and Congress haven't been more prescriptive about who and what can qualify for help," Kyle Herrig, president of government watchdog group Accountable.US wrote via email to CNN Business. "This program is in desperate need of increased transparency so that struggling mom and pop small businesses on the cusp of bankruptcy can get the assistance they need."

- CNN's Kevin Dotson contributed to this report.

Embarassing that the Lakers even applied for that. How tone deaf can you be as leadership of one of the wealthiest sports franchises in the country?

I give them no credit for returning it either. They only did so because it garnered press and people found it.

Embarassing that the Lakers even applied for that. How tone deaf can you be as leadership of one of the wealthiest sports franchises in the country?

I give them no credit for returning it either. They only did so because it garnered press and people found it.
Agreed! Found it disgusting that they'd have the balls to apply. Same can be said for Shake Shack and Ruths Cris as well. Did the same thing and then were shamed into returning the funds.

I was in NYC on 9/11, got flooded during Sandy and suffered thru the EHR and Medicare changes crap that Obama put doctors through. So having some experience with government programs, I can say the ones being payed out now are fair, easy to understand, came out quickly , and may actually work.

Harvard also will be inducted in the hall of shame. Though they returned the money, they are sitting on a huge endowment. (40 billion?).
Harvard didn’t apply. It was just given out to them like the $1,200 stimulus check was handed out to people. The Lakers applied and the banker took it. All parties should be blamed. I think seton hall got money in which they didn’t apply for. The met qualifications and money was handed out.

After 6 weeks I thought there would be a lot more answers and some sense of plan in how to reopen the economy. It’s the same dog and pony show with these press conferences every day. Murphy unveiled his 6 part plan to reopen the economy Monday but then said stay at home order would be until further notice. Yesterday he opens state parks and golf courses. What made him change in 2 days? So bizarre.

Reactions: shu09
After 6 weeks I thought there would be a lot more answers and some sense of plan in how to reopen the economy. It’s the same dog and pony show with these press conferences every day. Murphy unveiled his 6 part plan to reopen the economy Monday but then said stay at home order would be until further notice. Yesterday he opens state parks and golf courses. What made him change in 2 days? So bizarre.
Sweeney, Sarlo and other state legislators were all over him to reopen the parks and courses for weeks now. I don't see how golf clubs and other businesses are going to survive this.

We applied and received a loan, but there was very little guidance when the money was put out there and to the defense of some small businesses, they also didn't know at the time what the impact of COVID would have on their business (and they still don't). If you noticed, with round 2 they also followed that up with every loan over $2M will be audited and if they believe your business was not significantly impacted, you are subject to fines and even jail terms. I was on a call with a dozen local businesses yesterday, and most had applied, but several were considering returning it because they have not had a negative impact as yet. One business makes a frozen food project, who's sales have actually gone up and one is a technology company that supports 911 centers...they haven't laid anyone off yet either, but revenue has held up. Both giving it back.

The Lakers, Shake Shack, etc. are inexcusable. But I think the threat of fine and jail has scared some borderline folks to send the checks back.

NYC is going to get throttled by this. Broadway will not re-open until 2021, tourism is going to shrink considerably...who's going to spend that week/weekend in the epicenter of COVID, especially when many of the attractions aren't even open. I know a number of folks that have already moved out and are going to exit their leases.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would know that a plan put together as quickly as the bailout plan would see monies paid to those who were not entitled to it, that there would be those who would fraudulently attempt to benefit and that there would be bureaucratic foul ups. Look how long Medicare has been around and of the $700 billion paid annually $50 billion of that is lost due to fraud . Nothing that’s come to light surprises me at all and I’m sure there’s more to come.

We applied and received a loan, but there was very little guidance when the money was put out there and to the defense of some small businesses, they also didn't know at the time what the impact of COVID would have on their business (and they still don't). If you noticed, with round 2 they also followed that up with every loan over $2M will be audited and if they believe your business was not significantly impacted, you are subject to fines and even jail terms. I was on a call with a dozen local businesses yesterday, and most had applied, but several were considering returning it because they have not had a negative impact as yet. One business makes a frozen food project, who's sales have actually gone up and one is a technology company that supports 911 centers...they haven't laid anyone off yet either, but revenue has held up. Both giving it back.

The Lakers, Shake Shack, etc. are inexcusable. But I think the threat of fine and jail has scared some borderline folks to send the checks back.

NYC is going to get throttled by this. Broadway will not re-open until 2021, tourism is going to shrink considerably...who's going to spend that week/weekend in the epicenter of COVID, especially when many of the attractions aren't even open. I know a number of folks that have already moved out and are going to exit their leases.

To further the last point, on the one night of the BE Tournament, I sat near a Xavier fan who had come in from Cincinnati. He told me he was staying at one of the Marriott brand's hotels on 8th Avenue near MSG for $85 a night.

I wonder if Nancy Pelosi proposal for 2k per month for all adults applies to retirees like me
LOL.

If the only answer to “why you would do something” is “because you can”, you probably need to dig deep or reconsider.

French coronavirus expert REJECTS second wave fears branding warnings a 'fantasy'

A LEADING health expert has dismissed fears France could be hit by a "second wave" of COVID-19 infections as officials unveiled plans to relax some of the country's strict lockdown measures.

Professor Didier Raoult said data on the spread of the virus suggested it had reached a “bell curve” which he claimed was a typical epidemic cycle which should rule out the prospect of a rebound.

Prof Raoult said: "The second wave story is a fantasy that was invented from the Spanish flu, which started in the summer and has nothing to do with it.

"Usually an epidemic happens in one curve. I hate to make predictions, but this way of constructing it is fairly common for epidemics.

“In the past, epidemics disappeared long before we had the means to contain them. They disappeared anyway.

"Humanity didn't die from an epidemic, that's the way it is. Epidemics start, accelerate, peak, disappear, and we don't know why.”

Prof Raoult said the French government's plans to start easing lockdown measures on May 11 was justified.

He also backed the results of a study carried out by Singaporean researchers who predicted 97 percent of COVID-19 cases in France would have happened by around May 7.

Prof Raoult said: "The data provided by the president is not extravagant. 97 percent of the cases will have occurred around 7th May and 99 percent around 19th May.

"This is the time when we should be able to confine and isolate infected people, knowing that by then the virus transmission will have become much lower."

Reactions: shu09
French coronavirus expert REJECTS second wave fears branding warnings a 'fantasy'

A LEADING health expert has dismissed fears France could be hit by a "second wave" of COVID-19 infections as officials unveiled plans to relax some of the country's strict lockdown measures.

Professor Didier Raoult said data on the spread of the virus suggested it had reached a “bell curve” which he claimed was a typical epidemic cycle which should rule out the prospect of a rebound.

Prof Raoult said: "The second wave story is a fantasy that was invented from the Spanish flu, which started in the summer and has nothing to do with it.

"Usually an epidemic happens in one curve. I hate to make predictions, but this way of constructing it is fairly common for epidemics.

“In the past, epidemics disappeared long before we had the means to contain them. They disappeared anyway.

"Humanity didn't die from an epidemic, that's the way it is. Epidemics start, accelerate, peak, disappear, and we don't know why.”

Prof Raoult said the French government's plans to start easing lockdown measures on May 11 was justified.

He also backed the results of a study carried out by Singaporean researchers who predicted 97 percent of COVID-19 cases in France would have happened by around May 7.

Prof Raoult said: "The data provided by the president is not extravagant. 97 percent of the cases will have occurred around 7th May and 99 percent around 19th May.

"This is the time when we should be able to confine and isolate infected people, knowing that by then the virus transmission will have become much lower."

We need more people like this man to spread the truth about this disease. Too many in the media and politics have an interest in keeping people controlled and scared.

Just hope he is right...
Sweeney, Sarlo and other state legislators were all over him to reopen the parks and courses for weeks now. I don't see how golf clubs and other businesses are going to survive this.

Let me stand on my soapbox for 5 seconds; closing golf courses and, to a lesser extent, parks was shortsighted and detrimental. Golf is borderline social distancing to begin with, I certainly don't stand huddled with people all day when I play. You make a few alterations, prohibit carts to 1 per person, etc and you're done. The fact he deprived people of this was just alarmist mentality and frankly reminded me of why I've always thought him to be an idiot in the first place.

As for parks....let me say that I have NEVER had the volume of people walking past my house and my mailbox on a daily basis that I do now. I live on a county road which is a bit busy; no curbs and no sidewalks. The past 4 years I could have counted pedestrians or cyclists on one hand. Now I probably get 20-25 a day. Walking along my driveway and property line, breathing and coughing within 2 inches of my mailbox. While I don't worry about it - these people would have all been at the parks. He didn't prevent anyone from doing anything or keep us "safe" by closing the parks, he just transplanted the supposed "risk" to my front door where I am trying to adhere to his special rules and regulations.

Reactions: shu09 and TomD82
Let me stand on my soapbox for 5 seconds; closing golf courses and, to a lesser extent, parks was shortsighted and detrimental. Golf is borderline social distancing to begin with, I certainly don't stand huddled with people all day when I play. You make a few alterations, prohibit carts to 1 per person, etc and you're done. The fact he deprived people of this was just alarmist mentality and frankly reminded me of why I've always thought him to be an idiot in the first place.

As for parks....let me say that I have NEVER had the volume of people walking past my house and my mailbox on a daily basis that I do now. I live on a county road which is a bit busy; no curbs and no sidewalks. The past 4 years I could have counted pedestrians or cyclists on one hand. Now I probably get 20-25 a day. Walking along my driveway and property line, breathing and coughing within 2 inches of my mailbox. While I don't worry about it - these people would have all been at the parks. He didn't prevent anyone from doing anything or keep us "safe" by closing the parks, he just transplanted the supposed "risk" to my front door where I am trying to adhere to his special rules and regulations.[/QUOTE
My wife said the same thing about so many people walking and bike riding in the neighborhoods. And I am not trying to be political about Murphy, but he wants a federal bailout sues the federal govt, is a sanctuary state directly against the feds and 10s of thousands of people cannot get their unemployment benefits in NJ that he put out of work.

We need more people like this man to spread the truth about this disease. Too many in the media and politics have an interest in keeping people controlled and scared.
And how do we know who are the infected people. Testing, testing, testing. One wonders when this administration will finally realize this. One could only hope and dream.

And how do we know who are the infected people. Testing, testing, testing. One wonders when this administration will finally realize this. One could only hope and dream.

Well Murphy has only tested people with symptoms, so I'd ask him why he hasn't expanded it.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would know that a plan put together as quickly as the bailout plan would see monies paid to those who were not entitled to it, that there would be those who would fraudulently attempt to benefit and that there would be bureaucratic foul ups. Look how long Medicare has been around and of the $700 billion paid annually $50 billion of that is lost due to fraud . Nothing that’s come to light surprises me at all and I’m sure there’s more to come.
I think that’s just part of business. If you sit there and take the right amount of time to have perfect legislation that dots every i and cross every t you would never get the money to the people. They just need to make adjustments as they go along. It’s a pain in the ass but you can’t have people waiting months to get aid.

My brother-in-law has already taken advantage of that. Otherwise he would have had to lay off all his construction workers putting his company in jeopardy as the spring and summer are his busy seasons.
My son in law just got the money and will keep his 12 employees on the payroll. A good program for the little guy-if they can get in on it.

Reactions: Halldan1 and shu09
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT