ADVERTISEMENT

US women’s soccer team is incredibly hard to root for

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Phil Mushnick

What happened? Who started it and why?

When will it end? Will it ever end? Or is it over when it’s over for you when you no longer can stomach it?

Why have the most influential forces in sports — TV execs, advertisers, the media, and the top administrative authorities — determined that our sports be denuded of sports? Why have the conceited, vulgar, and selfish — assorted creeps antithetical to sports — been given the keys to the kingdom?

Even if it remains flabbergasting, it’s hardly a surprise that Fox and marketing geniuses seized upon the overwhelming disgust with Team Obnoxious, the 2019 U.S. Women’s World Cup Championship team — a literal turnoff among even the most willing and eager “USA! USA!” chanters — then repackaged it as the reason to again both watch and root for “our gals.”

Again, the excessive, me-first, all-about-me antics of vulgar Megan Rapinoe, wildly unpopular among her country’s right-minded populace, has been restored as someone everyone loves and admires.

How could Fox, the exclusive U.S. rights holder, have missed what America saw so plainly as nauseating — even if President Biden bestowed the country’s highest civilian medal on her for reasons unknown?

Was Biden’s selection committee particularly impressed with Rapinoe’s full-field, rub-it-in solo victory lap after scoring to make it 9-0 over Thailand in a 13-0 final? Or the way she used the F-word in addressing an NYC crowd that was loaded with kids?

In the U.S.’s 2019 win over England, Alex Morgan scored then ran to the sidelines so all could see her mock the opponents by miming English tea time.

It was standard classlessness for a classless team that already twice this month has made it clear to an international audience during our national anthem their shame in representing the United States.

So what did Fox do with that Morgan tea-sipping video?

It included it in a promo as to why we should watch this year’s U.S. matches.

Can Fox’s shot callers be any more detached from viewers who can distinguish good from bad, bad from worse?

Another Fox promo shows the U.S. team as a collection of the scowling discordant.

Hey, this is a team without class! Don’t miss them!

Reader Keith Marston: “The Gashouse Gorillas [of Bugs Bunny baseball infamy] are more likable than the USWNT.”

Or is Fox this time targeting an audience exclusively composed of disaffected yahoos?

That, and the public losing their money to bad-odds gambling, seems to be the plan in all sports.

It still strikes me as impossible that Marshawn Lynch, a player so unapologetically vulgar in semi-decipherable speech and actions that he became celebrated and imitated by fools for grabbing his crotch after scoring — his hit-and-run conviction was never mentioned on TV — became an advertising go-to guy, including TV ads for, of all hands-on things, Subway sandwiches.

But we’re supposed to believe that Stephen A. Smith’s, Skip Bayless’s, and Colin Cowherd’s opinions are valued, David Ortiz, John Smoltz, and Alex Rodriguez enhance baseball telecasts, Serena Williams is the finest human to have ever played tennis, Tiger Woods is next to godliness, we enjoy watching self-entitled Spike Lee demand attention from his front-row perch at Knick games and believe that ESPN hired Pat McAfee for any better reason than that he’s crude, thus perfect to lure the Disney network’s target audience.

And so we’re supposed to be all in — again — with our blind support for America’s female soccer team, distinguishable for its pledges of allegiance to Nike, as if they know what stinks about America, the Land of the Unjust, but are ignorant as to who made their uniforms and warm-ups, where and for how much.

They’ve no problem representing Nike, reliant on oppressed Communist China’s factory serfs toiling for minimal existence in a country that “disappears” human rights advocates.

The United States? Not so much.

Of course, no one is forcing us to watch.

Such an option is a very American value well worth cherishing and practicing.

But it’s a shame that what we might normally watch — an international sporting event at which the U.S. team excels — would be too great a sensory compromise not to mention a second case of U.S. Women’s World Cup nausea.

I wonder if the U.S. team — I’m hesitant to write “our team” — is aware, or even cares, that it’s very difficult, if not impossible, for self-respecting Americans to waste their time on.

Manfred contract par for course​

MLB team owners have extended Rob Manfred’s contract to further diminish baseball through 2029.

Surely, they were particularly impressed with Manfred’s recent adroit neglect that turned a Dodgers’ game into a salute to male lunatics in nuns’ outfits in order to renew their Catholics-bashing and express their pride in being gay.

Yep, he may be gutless but you can’t beat extra-inning games determined by runners placed on second base by rule rather than baseball.

I wonder if Manfred took the time to notice the weekend’s Royals Yanks series.

Because the Royals are a miserable team, the games were deemed to have little TV value.

So Saturday’s began at 1:05, Sunday’s at 1:35. Both are highly logical starting times that are disappearing to serve MLB’s addiction to TV revenue.

And both “worthless” games drew over 40,000 because they were weekend afternoon games.

Thus MLB, under Manfred, like the NFL under Roger Goodell, now provides the best starting times for games considered to have minimal TV value but maximum value to ticket-buying customers — those who used to count most.

Ever hear of Tarik Skubal, Jose Cisneros, Tyler Holton, and Jason Foley?

All pitch for the Tigers. Sunday they combined to strike out 15. More than half the Giants’ outs came on strikeouts thrown by widely unknown pitchers.

In Sunday’s White Sox-Twins, 12 innings, 12 pitchers, Chicago’s Luis Robert Jr. and Minnesota’s Donovan Solano combined to go 0-for-10. Both struck out four times.

That’s baseball, Suzyn.

Unexpected candor from YES surprises​

It sounded like a well-aimed swipe at Brian Cashman and Aaron Boone, but given that it was spoken on YES, it was heard as welcomed candor.

Early in Tuesday’s Mets-Yankees, David Cone spoke of starters “going deep into the game.”

To that, Michael Kay said, “Is that possible, to now get ‘deep into the game’ ”? Well, alrighty, then!

Now to have Kay & Co. cease hyperventilating over Giancarlo Stanton’s exit velocities, even if Stanton may have the greatest exit velo in the history of .200 batters who strike out too much and pose doubles into singles, even in playoff games.

Early in his Giants’ career, Saquon Barkley won big points here when, after scoring, he refused Odell Beckham, Jr.’s conspicuous invite to join him in an end zone dance of immodest celebration.

Class act.

But Barkley’s class took a recent hit when he twice used the F-word on a podcast to express his frustration with contract negotiations.

Then again, the F-word is the new synonym for sincerity.

Or, just maybe, we all open our eyes and understand that athletes are not model human beings, same as Hollywood and countless other public figures. They are flawed. They are not role models. You either cheer for your favorite team, college, professional or country, for what the team represents and means to you, or you don't. But let's stop looking at the individuals for inspiration.

Maybe look elsewhere for your thought of the ideal person.

And Fox wouldn't air promos if it wasn't in their best interest. If people are talking, people are interested.

I grew up playing soccer, loving that 99 team. Wanting to have the nerves of steel Scurry had in goal. I've followed the team ever since knowing the new comers, who is retiring etc. Ever the team, mainly Rapinoe, started being so political and nasty it was harder and harder to watch. I WANT to watch this world cup, the little girl who played for so many years says watch it for some good games. But I just can't stomach the politics and how much they (again it's not the whole team but it's enough) have made the game unpleasant. Yes they have a playform and are allowed to speak their minds but those who follow know they've gone beyond that. They are so selfish it shows in their play.

Or, just maybe, we all open our eyes and understand that athletes are not model human beings, same as Hollywood and countless other public figures. They are flawed. They are not role models. You either cheer for your favorite team, college, professional or country, for what the team represents and means to you, or you don't. But let's stop looking at the individuals for inspiration.

Maybe look elsewhere for your thought of the ideal person.

And Fox wouldn't air promos if it wasn't in their best interest. If people are talking, people are interested.
allen iverson said it best. at least he was honest.

I grew up playing soccer, loving that 99 team. Wanting to have the nerves of steel Scurry had in goal. I've followed the team ever since knowing the new comers, who is retiring etc. Ever the team, mainly Rapinoe, started being so political and nasty it was harder and harder to watch. I WANT to watch this world cup, the little girl who played for so many years says watch it for some good games. But I just can't stomach the politics and how much they (again it's not the whole team but it's enough) have made the game unpleasant. Yes they have a playform and are allowed to speak their minds but those who follow know they've gone beyond that. They are so selfish it shows in their play.
This. You are free to express yourself, but as fans we are free to have our respective opinions. I played soccer in HS and college but I really have no interest in watching this team.

Wash, rinse repeat. The responses once again to Mushnicks columns fall into two camps. It’s pretty obvious that his POV is to point out the things that are wrong with sports today. Some people think that’s negative, some people think he is provocative. I am part of the second group.

I only read the article about the USWNT and Phil has nailed it. I gave up on women's soccer a long time ago. The lack of appreciation for the opportunities they have in the US and their childish in your face behavior on the field, is a turn off. Some represent a country that they abhor and embarrass the average citizens who embrace good sportsmanship.

Good riddance!!!

Megan Rapinoe thinks she ‘could have helped’ in USWNT’s draw with Netherlands​

By Jared Schwartz

All Megan Rapinoe could do was watch.

She believes she would have made a difference.

Rapinoe was not in the starting lineup for the U.S. Women’s National Team’s 1-1 draw against the Netherlands in its second group-stage match, and was not used as a substitute.

“I think I could’ve helped,” Rapinoe told reporters ahead of the team’s third and final group-stage game against Portugal.

Manager Vlatko Andonovski made just one change against the Netherlands, replacing Savannah DeMelo with Rose Lavelle at midfield at halftime.

That decision quickly paid dividends as Lavelle provided the game-tying assist in the 62nd minute.

But Andonovski opted against making any other changes during the second half despite having ample attacking options on the bench — none with a better résumé than Rapinoe, who won the Golden Boot and was the joint top scorer at the 2019 World Cup.

“All of us on the bench, we think we should be on the field as much as players on the field think they should be on the field,” Rapinoe said. “Every player on the field that starts the game thinks they should play 90 minutes, and every player who doesn’t, who’s a sub, thinks that they should be on at some point.

“We’re always ready,” she added. “We know at some point during this tournament, obviously, the bench will be huge. That’s a huge asset of ours, a huge reason why we’ve been so successful with this group [and] obviously historically, winning championships in our past.”

Now 38, the polarizing Rapinoe has a much smaller role than she did during the previous three World Cups she starred in, leading the USWNT to back-to-back titles in the last two tournaments.

She said she respected Andonovski’s decision.

Andonovski defended his lack of changes by what he was seeing on the field.

“We were around the goal the whole time and I just didn’t want to disrupt the rhythm at that point because sometimes a substitute comes in and it might take a minute or two to get into a rhythm,” Andonovski said after the game.

“We just didn’t want to jeopardize anything because I thought all three of our forwards were very good today, dangerous, created opportunities and were a handful.”

USWNT largely silent during World Cup national anthem — again​

By Ethan Sears

Second verse, same as the first.

The US Women’s National Team again stayed largely silent during the national anthem at the World Cup, with most of the starting 11 refusing to sing along with “The Star Spangled Banner” ahead of its match against Portugal early Tuesday morning.

In keeping with the trend of the tournament, Alex Morgan, Julie Ertz and Lindsey Horan were seen on camera singing along, though most of their teammates did not. The coaching staff also stayed silent.

Although most of the US team has not sung along throughout the tournament, that is rare for international soccer, where players often sing with an instrumental version of their country’s anthem. The Portuguese team gave a full-throated rendition of “A Portuguesa” on Tuesday.

The US is seeking its third straight World Cup title, but has caused controversy at home with its treatment of the anthem throughout its dominance on the world stage.

Star forward Megan Rapinoe preemptively refused a White House trip ahead of the team’s 2019 victory, and began kneeling during the national anthem in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick all the way back in 2015.

In addition to a successful fight for equal pay, the USWNT has loudly supported progressive causes, with Rapinoe saying in a Time Magazine interview before this World Cup that transgender women should be allowed to compete in women’s sports.

“Now we care about women’s sports? That’s total bulls–t,” Rapinoe told Time. “And show me all the trans people who are nefariously taking advantage of being trans in sports. It’s just not happening.”

Rapinoe has come off the bench during this tournament and did so again on Tuesday.

They are in the WGAS file. I'm sure someone on the team or coaching staff know this has been brought up, so they choose to ignore.

I’m holding my comments on this one, but here is some good insight from former USWNT (and NJ) standout Carli Lloyd:

As a side note, it was rumored that Lloyd and Rapinoe were not best of friends, a lot of it due to the topic here. Personally, I’d care less if the performance was there. However, it appears that it’s more a distraction, and it’s affecting the performance of the team.

Carli Lloyd blasts ‘dancing’ and ‘smiling’ USWNT after World Cup draw​

By Belle Fraser

It was more than the lackluster on-field performance from the U.S. Women’s National Team that ticked Carli Lloyd off after Tuesday morning’s 0-0 draw against Portugal.

Trinity Rodman and Kelley O’Hara celebrated with fans postgame –– taking photos and signing autographs –– after the USWNT closed out their worst-ever performance in World Cup group play with five points.

“I have never witnessed something like that. There’s a difference between being respectful of the fans and saying hello to your family,” said Lloyd, who is on the Fox Sports studio show.

“But to be dancing, to be smiling. I mean, the player of the match was that post. You were lucky to not be going home right now.”

Lloyd’s former team barely made it to the Round of 16 and it wasn’t a diving play or extra-effort save that kept its World Cup three-peat dreams alive.

It was instead the right goal post, stopping a 91st-minute shot from Portuguese striker Ana Capeta that cleanly beat U.S. goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher.

While the group has the knockout round to refocus on, Lloyd said the team’s “uninspiring” effort is nothing to celebrate.

“It started to shift post 2020 and there are a lot of off-the-field things that are happening. You never want to take anything for granted. You put on that jersey and you want to give it everything you have for the people who came before you, the people who are going to come after you and I am just not seeing that passion,” Lloyd said.

“I am seeing a very lackluster, uninspiring, taking it for granted. Winning and training and doing all that you can to be the best possible individual player is not happening.”

The standard of excellence and culture of winning that Lloyd cemented while a star midfielder on the USWNT seems to be a bit lost on this year’s younger group.

Head coach Vlatko Andonovski had a different view on his team’s compete level in his postgame comments.

“This team wanted to win this game more than anything else and they’ve put everything they could in preparation for this tournament,” Andonovski said in response to Lloyd.

“To question the mentality of this team, to question the willingness to win, to compete … I think it’s insane. I’ve never seen this team step on the field and not try hard and not compete.”

Lloyd, who led her team to World Cup titles in 2015 and 2019 and won Olympic gold in 2008 and 2012, said her former team is walking a “fine line” right now.

Beyond taking photos, the team also danced after the draw.

“There is a difference between confidence and arrogance and I think that that’s a fine line of where is the direction going with that,” Lloyd said.

“It’s OK to be confident but you never want to cross that line of being arrogant and this is exactly what can come and bite you.”

The USWNT awaits their next opponent as the last round of Group G games close out Wednesday morning.

The squad will likely match up against Sweden at 5 a.m. ET on Sunday.

As I said in my post, Lloyd and Rapinoe aren't exchanging Christmas cards any time soon.

Part of that is because Lloyd felt it was a distraction from the point of the team and the mission.

It's one thing if you can perform - think the Raiders in the 70's. But if you are getting draws with lower ranked teams, when you are the odds-on pick to win it all, it's telling.

And most of those playing are doing the exact opposite.

Not singing is not the biggest deal to me. If you stand and place your hand over your heart, that is completely respectful.
You put your hand on your heart when you say the Pledge of Allegiance . I know I did it for over 40 years teaching .You don't have to do it when you are singing the National Anthem . When attending a sporting event almost everyone stands but how many people put their hand on the heart or actually sing the anthem. Everyone has their own take on the level of patriotism . God bless AMERICA !!! and Lets GO PIRATES !!!!!

You put your hand on your heart when you say the Pledge of Allegiance . I know I did it for over 40 years teaching .You don't have to do it when you are singing the National Anthem . When attending a sporting event almost everyone stands but how many people put their hand on the heart or actually sing the anthem. Everyone has their own take on the level of patriotism . God bless AMERICA !!! and Lets GO PIRATES !!!!!
Except you are not representing your country at an international event when you go to a baseball game.

Not correct.

Reactions: Merge and HALL85
Rapinoe has come off the bench during this tournament and did so again on Tuesday.
“Now we care about women’s sports? That’s total bulls–t,” Rapinoe told Time. “And show me all the trans people who are nefariously taking advantage of being trans in sports. It’s just not happening.” Where has Rapinoe been? Lia Thomas is the most notable transathlete to undermine biological women, and plenty others are behind her. It doesn't matter how many trans people are taking advantage of being trans in sports, there shouldn't be any.

I really love Alex Morgan and Carly Lloyd, they have a deep understanding of the available opportunities in the US.

Reactions: Johnny Biggs
“Now we care about women’s sports? That’s total bulls–t,” Rapinoe told Time. “And show me all the trans people who are nefariously taking advantage of being trans in sports. It’s just not happening.” Where has Rapinoe been? Lia Thomas is the most notable transathlete to undermine biological women, and plenty others are behind her. It doesn't matter how many trans people are taking advantage of being trans in sports, there shouldn't be any.

I really love Alex Morgan and Carly Lloyd, they have a deep understanding of the available opportunities in the US.
I think your question is (kind of) the answer.

Rapinoe is / was talented. But her talent is overshadowed by her divisiveness. She's no different from Hope Solo (although they didn't like each other). Rapinoe is every bit the bully Solo was, and many of the players don't want to stir the pot.

Lloyd was in a position to push back, and to her credit, she did.

There is no doubt that the ideological antics are affecting this team. It's not the only reason for the performance, but it's a factor.

On a side note, pay attention to the Japan WNT. Typically, they rank among the smallest (in terms of height) in the draw. Yet, they are always a threat and a past champion due to their style of play (a lot of passing / possession). Teams like the USA that rely on speed / power are a dinosaur and the "playing field" (no pun intended) has been equalized a lot. FWIW.

Reactions: HALL85
Nothing but negative articles . He must be a miserable, lonely old man .
It's his stock in trade.... his schtick.... and he is good at pointing out these things out. Don't read his articles if you don't like them. He does give credit where he thinks its due.

He is right on the money with a lot of his criticisms.... especially so with the once great Women's National Soccer team program. I hope they lose the rest of their games. I certainly won't watch any of them.

They should all be made to attend an interment of a fallen serviceman or woman at Arlington National Cemetery to see the true meaning of the flag and the National Anthem before displaying such outright disdain for their sacrifice.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
They should all be made to attend an interment of a fallen serviceman or woman at Arlington National Cemetery to see the true meaning of the flag and the National Anthem before displaying such outright disdain for their sacrifice.
Or be on an honor flight.

I think your question is (kind of) the answer.

Rapinoe is / was talented. But her talent is overshadowed by her divisiveness. She's no different from Hope Solo (although they didn't like each other). Rapinoe is every bit the bully Solo was, and many of the players don't want to stir the pot.

Lloyd was in a position to push back, and to her credit, she did.

There is no doubt that the ideological antics are affecting this team. It's not the only reason for the performance, but it's a factor.

On a side note, pay attention to the Japan WNT. Typically, they rank among the smallest (in terms of height) in the draw. Yet, they are always a threat and a past champion due to their style of play (a lot of passing / possession). Teams like the USA that rely on speed / power are a dinosaur and the "playing field" (no pun intended) has been equalized a lot. FWIW.
Solo had all sorts of behavioral and legal problems . Rapione has politics people don't like. They are very different.

Solo had all sorts of behavioral and legal problems . Rapione has politics people don't like. They are very different.
I'm not talking external.

In terms of divisiveness (internal), they are pretty much the same. I know people close to the team, Rapinoe is a cancer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT