ADVERTISEMENT

US women’s soccer team is incredibly hard to root for

Carli Lloyd’s USWNT ruthlessness deserves praise after spot-on criticisms​

By Kirsten Fleming

The U.S. Women’s National Team has made a lackluster showing as it looks to clinch an unprecedented FIFA Women’s World Cup three-peat.

The USWNT barely eked its way out of the group stage with two draws — one scoreless — and a win over Vietnam.

Never mind that most of the players stood silent — like entitled brats — without their hands over their hearts during the playing of the national anthem. Perhaps that’s a metaphor that they can’t find their hearts this tournament?

But that’s not to say there hasn’t been a dazzling breakout star at the World Cup, and she needs no introduction.

Her name is Carli Lloyd.

The former USWNT midfielder turned Fox Sports analyst has been as hard-nosed and ruthless as a broadcaster as she was on the field, where she won two World Cup titles and two Olympic gold medals. Lloyd has dished out blunt, searing criticisms of her former team’s lack of drive and intensity.

The 41-year-old questioned everything from the lineup to their will to win — with the packed punch you expect from talking heads, but rarely get.

And of course, she blasted the embarrassing post-Portugal match dancing and selfies from the USWNT, after a goalpost saved their butts from being planted on the next flight home. The players should have been infuriated, unable to muster a smile or even a mild shimmy.

“I have never witnessed something like that. There’s a difference between being respectful of the fans and saying hello to your family,” Lloyd said on the Fox Sports studio show. “But to be dancing, to be smiling. I mean, the player of the match was that post. You were lucky to not be going home right now.”

Her commentary has been more passionate than the play, and as a result, has boomeranged around the internet with mixed reactions. Coach Vlatko Andonovski shot back, calling her assertions “insane” and one commenter dubbed her “grumpy Roy Keane” of women’s soccer, referring to the former soccer star and coach and current pundit.

Grumpy or not, she’s doing her job well.

Initially, Lloyd doubled down. Then, on Wednesday she offered some explanation for her frank talk. Not back peddling, merely nuance. She wants the “legacy [to] continue to be passed down from generation to generation.”

And what a legacy it is. The long-dominant U.S. Women’s soccer program — built by giants like Mia Hamm, Brandi Chastain, Julie Foudy and Christy Rampone, to name a few — has always been a matter of pride for this country.

But that reign has been in peril in recent years, with many nations ably closing the once-gaping divide. It’s hardly time for the U.S. to take its foot off the gas — and pucker up for selfies.

As Lloyd, who retired in 2021, has pointed out, the ethos around the program has simply changed. The motivation, the drive and the hunger have been traded in for the spoils of victory rather than the victory itself.

“It is no longer [that] we want to win because we want to win,” Lloyd said. “No, we want everything that comes with winning, and we think we can just roll out and win games. And that’s not the case, and teams see that. They see the arrogance in the U.S. and see that they’re not this unstoppable team. They see that they’re able to be broken down and beaten.”

Maybe the American players turned into Rocky Balboa in “Rocky III” — flashy suits, endorsements galore, distractions and no appetite. Lloyd is sounding the alarm that they are about to get walloped by Clubber Lang.

Lloyd hasn’t been as explicit about it, but lately the highly political squad has been more synonymous with social justice than finding the back of the net.

Led off the field by the soon-to-retire Megan Rapinoe, they have been lionized for their fight for equal pay, the subject of a fawning and unwatchable 2021 HBO documentary “LFG” and the recipient of the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the ESPYs. In 2022, Rapinoe was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Lloyd’s candor and willingness to swim against the tide is not new. The Jersey girl was the lone member to not kneel for the national anthem before a 2021 match against Australia. Last year, she said she told Hope Solo, the team culture had changed, the “worst I’ve ever seen.”

The U.S. women should listen to their old teammate, who in her willingness to offer a diagnosis, has become must-see television.

And hopefully, she has really pissed them off. Then maybe they won’t get beaten by Sweden on Sunday. They can take back the spotlight from Lloyd and maybe hang on to win a third title.

Something we can all root for.

You put your hand on your heart when you say the Pledge of Allegiance . I know I did it for over 40 years teaching .You don't have to do it when you are singing the National Anthem .

It sounds like you have to take an entry level citizenship course. What you stated above is 100% not correct. You 100% do have put your hand on your heart during the national anthem!

It sounds like you have to take an entry level citizenship course. What you stated above is 100% not correct. You 100% do have put your hand on your heart during the national anthem!

I guess I stand to be corrected.I'll pass that on because unless I'm missing something I do not see that being done at sporting events I attend including Hall games . Standing , singing and taking your hat off yes but your hand on your heart no . I'll have to look for that .

Do I think when representing your country you should at least show respect for the anthem when it is played… it does bother me that every single other country takes pride when their anthem is playing before the game while representing the country, and both the mens and women’s team look bored and uninterested during the anthem… it’s not every player, the men have gotten better recently, but it’s a common theme between the 2.

My biggest issue with the women is in their fight for equal pay they felt the need to drag down the men’s team to make their case. The men now are very supportive of the women and vice versa I believe, but back when this all started a remember a number of the mens players took issue with the comments the women were making. Also it should have never been equal pay, it should have been fair pay. The USWNT were not paid fairly.

But now it comes down to this. The whole thing with the USWNT were they were winners, best team in the world. They won world cups and major tournaments when the men made it a big deal of making it past the group stages. But now the women’s team are not the dominant force they were. A lot of countries have caught up, and many have passed them in terms of skill and technical ability. The us women have the most athleticism, size and physical strength then any of the other teams which is what they rely on still, but even that gap isn’t as wide as it used to be. The other countries are now investing more money in girls youth soccer training, giving them the same training as the boys which you see now with teams like france, Spain, England and Netherlands. Their technical abilities and tactics are far ahead of the us women. The us women still rely on their speed and athleticism to beat their opponents and it’s obvious they cannot rely on that anymore and it’s showing they don’t have the technical ability.

If the whole basis the women had for equal pay was because they were winners and the men weren’t, what’s going to happen when they aren’t winners anymore? They lost in the last Olympics, I don’t see them winning here.

Reactions: HallB

USWNT captain Lindsey Horan claps back at Carli Lloyd’s criticisms: ‘You have no idea’​

By Christian Arnold

U.S. Women’s National Team coach Vlatko Andonovski already responded to Carli Lloyd’s blistering comments about his club, and now team captain Lindsey Horan is airing her frustrations against the former soccer star.

Horan said during a press conference Wednesday that the comments were “kind of frustrating for me to hear” when asked about the ex-USWNT player and current Fox Sports analyst’s criticisms, which came after the U.S. drew with Portugal earlier in the week.

“Especially knowing this team and how much we put into every single game,” Horan told reporters during a news conference.

Andonovski had called it “insane” to question the mentality and the team’s willingness to win earlier in the week.

Lloyd strongly criticized the USWNT for its effort against Portugal and how the team danced and smiled following the final game of the group stage that ended in a 0-0 draw.

Lloyd continued her criticism of the culture and mentality of the team in a follow-up interview with Fox Sports’ Martin Rogers.

Lloyd did soften her stance a bit, telling the Fox Sports audience Wednesday that “I want people to understand that I care deeply about this team.”

But Horan still stood in firm support of her team during the press conference.

“I always want to defend my team and say like, you have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes, you have no idea every single angle, every single training, like what we’re doing individually, collectively, et cetera,” Horan continued.

The USWNT has faced plenty of criticism of how it has played during the World Cup this year, especially since the tournament favorites were held off the board against Portugal and have just one win thus far.

While Horan acknowledged the squad should have played better, she said questioning their desire to win was a step too far for the USWNT captain.

“In this game, you can’t question that we didn’t want to win the game. You can’t question we weren’t working as hard as we possibly could. We know we could have done better,” she said.

“Again, it was a really good team that we faced. So you know, for me, it’s like, again, it’s noise and again, it’s an opinion and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And you know, that’s how it goes.

“For anyone to question our mentality, you know, hurts a little bit, but at the end of the day, it’s like, doesn’t really matter. I don’t really care. It’s you know, what’s going on inside of here. It’s what’s going on inside of the team, and we’re getting ready for that next week.”

The USWNT will play its first match of the knockout round on Sunday against Sweden at 5 a.m.

It’s not mentality In my opinion…. It’s that what has worked so well before doesn’t work like it did and they don’t know what else to do. They looked thoroughly baffled the first half vs NED, second half their fitness and athleticism wore down NED….

Also it should have never been equal pay, it should have been fair pay. The USWNT were not paid fairly.
Great point.

I will keep an eye on the score of the Sweden / USA game on Sunday and root for Sweden. Never thought I'd say something like that.... but then I never thought I would witness the despicable sense of disrespect this US team has shown to anyone in the US who supports the ideals on which our nation was founded as embodied in our Flag and National Anthem.

Last edited:
I guess I stand to be corrected.I'll pass that on because unless I'm missing something I do not see that being done at sporting events I attend including Hall games . Standing , singing and taking your hat off yes but your hand on your heart no . I'll have to look for that .
They are representing their country and there is a responsibility that goes with it. Not the same as a fan or player in an NBA OR College game.

Reactions: PiratePride
On a side note, I’ve been to a bunch of usmnt games, and one of the best parts of the experience is the singing of the national anthem.. at a pro or college game it’s just a thing you have to go through before the game.. at a game like an international soccer game it’s a great experience hearing the national anthem and hearing thousands of people sing in unison the anthem. They are there to see the UNITED STATES NATIONAL TEAM, not the Yankees or giants or Mets play… it’s just different, and everyone there knows it’s different

I think the larger unlikability piece is their outright arrogance. Those commercials leading up to this tournament were outrageous, and it lacked any self-awareness. They no longer operate in a world where they play for 1 of maybe 2 or 3 countries who actually care about the women's version of the sport they play. More countries (but still relatively small) actually care now, and their days of domination by showing up to the field on that day are over.

DeMarcus Ware sings National Anthem in emotional tribute to Demaryius Thomas​

Doing it the way it was meant to be done

Reactions: silkcitypirate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT