ADVERTISEMENT

Van Gundy furious. Do you agree?

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
ESPN’s Jeff Van Gundy furious at ESPN over LaVar Ball
By Mark W. Sanchez

January 9, 2018 | 1:26pm

Jeff Van Gundy is choosing brethren over Bristol.

Volleying from forceful to furious, the former Knicks coach lashed out at the network that employs him, livid that ESPN would publish a story that quotes LaVar Ball saying Luke Walton has lost the Lakers.

The ESPN NBA analyst joined the ranks of coaches who have blistered ESPN with attacks for giving the circus that is LaVar Ball a platform, saying coaches now have every reason to boycott ESPN.

“You guys want the cheap shots,” Van Gundy said on Sirius XM NBA Radio on Monday. “You want the hits. You want these — like you said, clicks, whatever that means.

“… It is part of the business, and it’s also a reason why this does lack journalistic integrity. It is a reason for coaches to unite and say, ‘No no, forget it, if we have to take this, then why are we giving of our time?’ It’s not like they’re going to violate any rule if they don’t participate with ESPN.”

Mavericks coach and president of the coaches’ association Rick Carlisle threatened Sunday that coaches could restrict ESPN access after it followed Ball to Lithuania, where he said, “You can see [the Lakers are] not playing for Luke no more.” Later, the coaches’ association called ESPN’s decision to publish the thoughts of Lonzo Ball’s father “regrettable and troubling,” saying it was a “salacious one-sided story lacking journalistic integrity.” The criticism has also come from within, with college basketball personality Dick Vitale blasting his own company. According to Amico Hoops, some NBA teams have asked their media relations teams to cut off reporters who interview Ball.

Jeff’s brother, Stan, will be punishing ESPN when the network comes to Detroit to cover his Pistons for their Jan. 19 game against the Wizards. Stan told reporters on Monday night he would not meet individually with the network’s talent, as has become the standard.

“I’m not denying them access,” Stan Van Gundy said, via the Detroit Press.

“I’m not kicking them out of press conferences. They want extra stuff from us and they’re going to treat an NBA coach with that little respect? Then I’m going to choose not to give them extra access.”

Despite Jeff being on the other end of that — as part of ESPN’s top commenting crew — he feels strongly his employers are distorting their coverage to meet Ball’s whim.

“There was no attempt in that article to present both sides,” Van Gundy railed of the Jeff Goodman story. “It didn’t state Lonzo Ball’s stats, I don’t believe. It didn’t talk about, like, the nine-game losing streak having anything to do with injuries.”

Van Gundy’s grievances with the entire journalism industry were numerous. He stated that all parents of struggling players blame coaches, but only one was given the microphone.

“There’s always been conflict, inherent conflict between players and coaches,” said Van Gundy, who was Knicks head coach from 1995 to 2002. “This one has been exacerbated by what you know to be true, which is a parent’s unhappiness with a coach whenever a player struggles, you know that’s true because they’re not going to blame their kid, they’re just going to blame the coach. Now you have the coach having to answer because it’s been publicly published. You have the kid having to answer publicly. You have a team that has to answer publicly.

“… Instead of focusing in on the real issues, Jeff Goodman and ESPN got what they wanted. They started a little fire and now everyone’s talking about it.”

Branching out, Van Gundy launched a broader attack on the journalism industry while citing another contentious ESPN story — its bombshell Patriots account — saying using anonymous sources is “a joke.”

“The whole process is wrong when you write an article that doesn’t have one attributable quote — like the Patriots story,” said Van Gundy, who’s been with ESPN since 2007. “Not one.”

They must have a piece of his sneaker deal or something. Idiots! Glad folks are standing up the stupidity that is the Ball family and the ESPN ridiculous coverage. I guess ESPN wants to be the E network of sports instead of a sports outlet. Consistent with choosing Bruce/Caitlin as sportsperson of the year a few years back. They disgust me.

I think the answer may fall between racial lines.

I was watching Fox Sports yesterday and the point was made by a black sports writer with strong connections to the NBA that in the urban community Ball is seen as a hero and the coaches in the NBA who are railing against him and ESPN are all white and the message is not getting through to them.

He further stated that he agrees with Carlise and the coaches who want to semi boycott ESPN, but until a black coach steps up the message is not going to resonate with the younger urban community who laugh at the fact that coaches are threatening to not talk to the media after games.

Unfortunately it's a sign of where we are in terms of media in general these days. Ball is a complete blow-hard and I see him much like I do the Kardashians... The only difference is that Lonzo is actually a talented basketball player. I can't stand the guy and don't understand the fascination, much like with the Kardashians, but unfortunately (for me) there are many people who eat this type of stuff up and as a result he's not going away anytime soon.

I used to live for watching SportsCenter in the morning and at night. To me it's become unwatchable. I have to get my scores online as I can't stand watching ESPN for more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

We all know that LaVar is only interested in promoting himself, his children and his BigBaller brand and he always has an agenda . Instead of constantly knocking Walton and the way the Lakers are run he ought to focus on satisfying his existing customer base and not get an F from the Better Business Bureau and deliver the product his customer’s order.

As to the criticism from NBA coaches and their coaches association they have the right to express their feelings and I support their right to do so.

The reaction to ESPN giving LaVar a continuing platform to keep his name in the news shows how out of touch ESPN is with their legitimate constituency and it seems like every week they screw something up .

Unfortunately it's a sign of where we are in terms of media in general these days. Ball is a complete blow-hard and I see him much like I do the Kardashians... The only difference is that Lonzo is actually a talented basketball player. I can't stand the guy and don't understand the fascination, much like with the Kardashians, but unfortunately (for me) there are many people who eat this type of stuff up and as a result he's not going away anytime soon.

I used to live for watching SportsCenter in the morning and at night. To me it's become unwatchable. I have to get my scores online as I can't stand watching ESPN for more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

I am with ya, I used to watch every 6 am sports center like it was clock work. I do not remember the last time I watched.

Wonder how long before LaVar criticizes the head coach of the Lithuanian team and the way his sons are being handled.

With the difference in time he probably already has. We just won't read about it until tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT