ADVERTISEMENT

Was Kevin Willard always like this?

That is all true. But we were a disgrace when he took the job (and yes, he inherited a talented team, and yes, that BE was a harder league at the top). We sucked for the first few years he was our coach. He got read the riot act and for whatever reason he used questionable but legal means to get two stars to come here, and from them on we were good. Usually NCAA good, for the second time in history. PJ got there and dominated. Kevin just got there. But no one else has done what he did at SHU but PJ. That is not good enough for many posters. But it is better than every coach but PJ ever gave us.
He inherited talent but most were unmanageable

Reactions: radecicco
Wouldn’t surprise me if this Maryland dude is actually an SHU troll.
Wouldn't surprise me at all, lots of room left on the Onward Setonia campaign for trolls and fans. Willard haters should want to get all over giving $$$'s.

not sure if you’re saying those gigs were a safety net. I was talking about his grit in his college career. And surely camps and assistant HS coach isn’t quite what KW had underneath him.
No not safety net but pathway to get into the coaching ecosystem

Well what train wreck was inherited? The prior coach took chances on a bunch of transfers that had on court talent...the train wreck was gonzo didn't get over the hump in 4 years of a tougher league and the ending week of stix whitney and texas tech was held in bias against gonzo
Something that’s never really been pointed out about the guy:

Every coach needs a job at some point where they had to drive the team van and learn things from the ground floor.

Wasn't Willard something like a video tape editor/ gofer for the Celtics under Pitno? Maybe not exactly driving the van, but no being born with a silver spoon.

Every coach needs a job at some point where they had to drive the team van and learn things from the ground floor.

Wasn't Willard something like a video tape editor/ gofer for the Celtics under Pitno? Maybe not exactly driving the van, but no being born with a silver spoon.
Willard and frank vogel were the video guys in Boston...one could argue that pitino personal relationship with ralph gave willard that chance

Wouldn’t surprise me if this Maryland dude is actually an SHU troll.
Not at all. Posting under the same user name I have on 247. There's just no Seton Hall forum over there.

I did something worse than pose as a SHU troll. I paid $10 to see if I could get you guys to trash Kevin Willard to make me feel better for a day.

And I have to say you guys are delivering! I almost forgot we're in 13th place in the league we were picked 3rd in the preseason.

FWIW, I have been rooting hard for Seton Hall all year.

Not because I'm doing that pathetic "OPPOSING FAN COMING IN PEACE, PLZ LIKE ME" bit. The people who defended the Willard hire made SHU seem like it was in a third world country and that it was impossible to win there. Poor Kev was dodging mortars on the way to his practice dungeon every day, so naturally he's going to level up at Maryland.

Watching Holloway get SHU right back into the tournament in Year 2 with only one Willard holdover while Maryland misses the NIT has been quite vindicating.

First job out of college working in the NBA . Not a bad start !!!!

Not at all. Posting under the same user name I have on 247. There's just no Seton Hall forum over there.

I did something worse than pose as a SHU troll. I paid $10 to see if I could get you guys to trash Kevin Willard to make me feel better for a day.

And I have to say you guys are delivering! I almost forgot we're in 13th place in the league we were picked 3rd in the preseason.
Will not pay to go on their board but I am curious about the amount of posters there are bashing Willard or giving him a pass and wait till next year routine .

Will not pay to go on their board but I am curious about the amount of posters there are bashing Willard or giving him a pass and wait till next year routine .
You heard it here first….

One more year of KW. He’ll be fired after next season and replaced by Kim English- a Maryland native with huge upside if he can manage success in year 2 at PC

• Wow
Reactions: Piratz and shu09
You heard it here first….

One more year of KW. He’ll be fired after next season and replaced by Kim English- a Maryland native with huge upside if he can manage success in year 2 at PC
Money is of no consequence?

The people who defended the Willard hire made SHU seem like it was in a third world country and that it was impossible to win there. Poor Kev was dodging mortars on the way to his practice dungeon every day, so naturally he's going to level up at Maryland.
To be perfectly honest, this is the reason I've taken a little cheap enjoyment out of seeing him faceplant so far in College Park. I've got nothing against Maryland and have historically rooted for you guys in games that have nothing to do with Seton Hall.

To me, hearing the narrative about about how Seton Hall is such an impossible job and how Kevin Willard bravely wrung so much more out of the program than a mere mortal might made me want to see him fail at Maryland - but only because it helps dispel the notion behind that Seton Hall narrative. Seton Hall is not an easy job or a plug-and-play place where you'll just win. We do not have bottomless resources - that's not news. But we can always sell the Big East, plus we're located in a region that produces plenty of talent. Good coaches have always enjoyed some level of success here when we've hired them, and some have taken us further than Willard did, which makes that narrative tough to take.

And he did do a good job here. Not great, but very good, even if he plateaued years ago. So for that, I'm grateful enough. He probably should be doing better with this current Maryland team than he is (13th place when picked for 3rd is not great), but historically, he's not been that bad and is bound to level out some. But based on his record, there's no reason to expect greatness. It's got enough years on it to show pretty well what he is. I wonder if he'll get as many years to figure it out there as he got here.

No, let's never forget the hardscrabble tale of a determined 22-year-old aspiring coach who beat the long odds set before him to land a spot with the ... let's see here ... ah, here it is: the Boston Celtics. This inspirational lesson in perseverance tells other hungry, young would-be coaches that even when your father is best friends with a future Hall of Famer, there's no reason at all to let that stop you from chasing your dreams.

After four seasons, Willard again surmounted mighty obstacles to break into the college game at a top-ten all time program in Louisville when his Hall of Fame mentor agreed to bring him along to the Bluegrass State.

And when the time came for him to chase his dream of being a head coach, he managed to land a coveted spot at perennial low-major power Iona, a historic proving ground for aspiring major college coaches, despite the significant handicap of a recommendation of his father's close friend, a Hall of Fame coach.
Really, you took time to write this. Another Willard Dysfunction Syndrome.

• Haha
Reactions: silkcitypirate

Any young coach would dream of a job with Boston Celtics.

The van driving job at a D3 or even JUCO not all implies paying your dues at a low level, but gaining valuable leadership experience. Willard skipped that part as a low level helper with the Celtics.

Any young coach would dream of a job with Boston Celtics.

The van driving job at a D3 or even JUCO not all implies paying your dues at a low level, but gaining valuable leadership experience. Willard skipped that part as a low level helper with the Celtics.
Dude I get it but you and all of us here really have no idea how Willard paid his dues or did not. You make it sound like Willard is Steve Belichick who never coached any place before his father's team and has mostly a lacrosse background. Now he is DC for the CFP runner up. Maybe Willard did drive tapes to the team and got or
witnessed "leadership" experience at a low level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT