ADVERTISEMENT

WBB- UConn & UCLA H&H

400SOAVE

All American
Jan 24, 2009
Carino, citing the Trove, reports that the women's team will start a home & home series with UCLA starting next season and with UConn the following year.

That's great news. I was there the last time UConn visited South Orange. Will the UCLA game be at home next season? I assume so because I believe the Pirate owe road games to Boston College and to Wake Forest.

ESPN is ranking UConn No. 1 for next season and UCLA is ranked #11.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...huskies-back-top-way-too-early-top-25-2017-18

I'm very happy to see the significant schedule upgrade. I will definitely travel to watch the UConn game.

What will happen if UConn rejoins the Big East? Ha. Ha.

Reactions: mjs429
I wish I enjoyed women's bball because that is how you upgrade a schedule!!

I'm actually already California dreaming.

The Pirates in LA, and then north to Sequoia and Yosemite. Must be beautiful in snow.

The Channel Islands? Perhaps too cold at that time. I do love the National Parks.

Will the timing be right?

Are they likely to try to play two out west?

Reactions: SoCalBrett
Tony made a smart decision playing UConn at Walsh. He probably could have played this game (2019) at the Rock but knew that the Huskies travel well and despite the fact that this would be a special draw for SHU fans he would not have had the home court advantage he wanted.

Now he can bring in a ton of recruits and pack Walsh with Seton Hall supporters causing a raucous home court advantage.

No one expects the Hall to win, but this is a game to show how far his program has come by competing against by far the best program in the history of college basketball.

Also Kudos to Auriemma. He not only agreed to play the Hall H/H without making other demands he's the one who initiated talks.

Reactions: shupat08
Tony made a smart decision playing UConn at Walsh. He probably could have played this game (2019) at the Rock but knew that the Huskies travel well and despite the fact that this would be a special draw for SHU fans he would not have had the home court advantage he wanted.

Now he can bring in a ton of recruits and pack Walsh with Seton Hall supporters causing a raucous home court advantage.

No one expects the Hall to win, but this is a game to show how far his program has come by competing against by far the best program in the history of college basketball.

Also Kudos to Auriemma. He not only agreed to play the Hall H/H without making other demands he's the one who initiated talks.
I've been following Auriemma closely for a few years. Like Bozzella, he's a big believer in promoting the sport. And nobody has a stronger voice than Auriemma.

I'm a big fan of the guy. His words after losing in the Final Four was no surprise. He told his very young team team, "Welcome to real world." It would not surprise me if they go undefeated next season.

Did they ever consider a doubleheader with UConn at the Rock? That could potentially require the opening of the curtain. I hope they'll consider it. It would turn into an event rather than just a game.

They could be really innovative and do the first-ever home-and-home doubleheader. So much marketing potential.

I asked Tony the other day about playing a double header at the Rock. For the reasons I noted above he still thought it would be better to have the game at Walsh and I agree with him.

This should be exclusively about the women's program and there is no better way to impress recruits than by playing in a packed gym dominated by your own fan base.

Reactions: Pirate6711
I can understand Tony's reasoning for wanting the game at Walsh and I can also understand playing the game at the Rock and the potential financial rewards that could follow with a large crowd at the Rock. I would hope that the game is televised by one of the networks or cable outlets and that Walsh is packed and gets a ton of media attention.

For those of you that follow the women's team - are we expected to make the tourney next year?

Yes. Tony said will be be fighting for the league championship and more.

Reactions: SOBO1
I'm actually already California dreaming.

The Pirates in LA, and then north to Sequoia and Yosemite. Must be beautiful in snow.

The Channel Islands? Perhaps too cold at that time. I do love the National Parks.

Will the timing be right?

Are they likely to try to play two out west?

I hope to meet some of you in California. Go Pirates!!

By the way, it was a class act of Jerry to mention that it was posted in the trove. I am sure he was given the approval to post the information, but gave the credit to the the Trove.

I asked Tony the other day about playing a double header at the Rock. For the reasons I noted above he still thought it would be better to have the game at Walsh and I agree with him.

This should be exclusively about the women's program and there is no better way to impress recruits than by playing in a packed gym dominated by your own fan base.
The only time I would want a double-header at Prudential would be if both programs hosted UConn on the same day and we controlled the ticket supply. Doing something to ensure 75-25 (or better) with at least part of the curtain pulled would be a cool atmosphere.

But having the women host UConn at Prudential before or after a men's game against a random opponent would be a waste. I love seeing UConn agreeing to play at Walsh. Geno is definitely an "anytime, anyplace" type of coach.

By the way, it was a class act of Jerry to mention that it was posted in the trove. I am sure he was given the approval to post the information, but gave the credit to the the Trove.
Jerry and JP Pelzman as well are two absolutely top notch guys. Really sad that JP's on the RU beat and only does a handful of our games now.

Jerry and JP Pelzman as well are two absolutely top notch guys. Really sad that JP's on the RU beat and only does a handful of our games now.
This used to be standard. Now it's common for people to steal the work of journalists on the internet. The hazards of copy and paste.

I assume it's too early for the OOC to be complete. Any more surprises in the works that we can look forward to?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT