ADVERTISEMENT

What to do with Desi

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Jerry Carino was far more positive watching Rodriquez yesterday than was the college coach I spoke to who saw him one day earlier.

Obviously the non SHU coach has a better eye than does Jerry and that is not to say Carino doesn't know his BB. But in comparison to a D1 coach it's night and day.

The report I got was that Desi was very hesitant on the court, not fluid at all. But it came with the disclaimer that it was possible he was babying his injury and just being careful.

In truth until Thursday we will not know the true extent of his rehab.

My question is what do you do with a 75/80% Desi (as noted by Willard)?

Do you baby him and play him off the bench keeping an eye on the situation or do you start him, hoping for the best and then subbing as needed?

Willard is and has always been a very cautious bench coach. It's his style. It's how he has always used his roster and not just because of injuries.

I like aggressive coaches with a different style. I like coaches that attack and get in your face as opposed to those that take a more measured approach. But that's just me. It doesn't in any way mean I'm right and KW is wrong. It's just about the method you use in your coaching philosophy.

So again I ask, knowing of course we do not know as much about the injury as the staff knows, do you start a 75/80% Desi or do you play it carefully and bring him off the bench as needed?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News