ADVERTISEMENT

What's your thought on this

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Grant Hill was complimentary of Brunson’s “magical” season with the Knicks but left him off the Paris Olympics roster while taking Tyrese Haliburton, Jrue Holiday and Devin Booker.

As I see it....

Total BS. This year Brunson was one of the two best players in the eastern conference along with Tatum of the Celtics. He should have been in the running for league MVP. Maybe not the winner but certainly in the conversation.

Objectively, I get the argument about taking those 3 over him. Personally, I would have swapped him for Holiday or Booker. Holiday gets the bump because Booker's scoring off the bench is helpful and while Jrue is known for his defense, I like the idea of having 2 (as close as possible) traditional Point Guards on the team in Tyrese and Brunson.

Theres a lot of arguments for and against but that's my primary point.

Reactions: Merge
Grant Hill was complimentary of Brunson’s “magical” season with the Knicks but left him off the Paris Olympics roster while taking Tyrese Haliburton, Jrue Holiday and Devin Booker.

As I see it....

Total BS. This year Brunson was one of the two best players in the eastern conference along with Tatum of the Celtics. He should have been in the running for league MVP. Maybe not the winner but certainly in the conversation.
I'm with you on Brunson. But I'm wondering what other dynamics play into the decision. Do they think Brunson is going to be worn down by virtue of the minutes he plays this year, at his size, with the pounding he takes? Or for the international competition, Holiday makes more sense as a "fit" on a team of alpha-scorers and playmakers as compared to Brunson.

And I love Brunson, as I know you do as well. I liked him when the Knicks got him, and he's elevated his game to levels even I didn't think he could.

Reactions: Bluebeard

As I see it....

I dont watch much NBA and less Knicks, but I tend to think you are right, and that it is quite obvious that you are right.

Grant seems like a good guy, a smart guy, on the NCAA broadcasts but I cant say he enlightens me too often.

Reactions: LBP43
It's a close call. If you're building a team from scratch and have Haliburton, having Holiday for defense might make more sense than having Brunson. If you didn't have Haliburton, I'd take Brunson over Holiday easily.

Reactions: SHUHitman

As I see it....

This has to do with guards on olympic roster

It's a close call. If you're building a team from scratch and have Haliburton, having Holiday for defense might make more sense than having Brunson. If you didn't have Haliburton, I'd take Brunson over Holiday easily.
Halliburton has reached levels I never expected, but as the season comes to an end he has worn down and to date he is not nearly the player Brunson is. What Brunson's done since Randall has gone down is amazing. There isn't a player in the league who can guard him or even stay in front of him.

That and his offensive stats are unbelievable. A guard, he's scoring 28.7 PPG while shooting 47.9% from field, 40.1% from the arc and 84.7% from the line. And remember since Randall went down with no secondary major threat his numbers dramatically increased. If that isn't as good as any American guard in the NBA I would like to know who.

Reactions: Merge
Brunson is one of the 5-10 best players in the NBA. How does Hill look him in the eye and say you don't have a place on this team. Especially when you weed out all the NBA foreign players.

Brunson is one of the 5-10 best players in the NBA. How does Hill look him in the eye and say you don't have a place on this team. Especially when you weed out all the NBA foreign players.
Multiple ball handlers on roster...he is somewhat on the short side...many others can defend multiple positions

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Halliburton cannot defend multiple positions and he is not the player Brunson is.

Most every player if you look hard enough you will find some fault in his game. But you don't ask one of the best 5 American players in the NBA to join the roster?

Multiple ball handlers on roster...he is somewhat on the short side...many others can defend multiple positions
This. And I say this as someone who would swap Brunson with Holiday.

There's also familiarity with Jrue since he was on the 2020 gold medal team

Halliburton cannot defend multiple positions and he is not the player Brunson is.

Most every player if you look hard enough you will find some fault in his game. But you don't ask one of the best 5 American players in the NBA to join the roster?

It's definitely not an Isiah Thomas situation but it is weird that he wasn't on a preliminary roster of some kind

I believe brunson has been as valuable for team output, chemistry and leadership as any player to any team this nba season, esp after the trade and losing randle. Now we dont know what happens as postseason moves on. Who is healthy, who has something come up. To me steph would be the one to go if he wasnt heralded as such an elite shooter.
Also believe this will be the toughest international field a team usa has faced in modern times for an Olympics competition. The medal rounds will be no easy game.

I try to watch the NBA and can't stand the style of play, the rules and just about everything. So I have nothing more to add cause that is how I really feel! Can't wait of college hoops to begin the next season.

Thanks. I was looking for this. There's not too many others I would swap out. Maybe for durability id swap Brown for Leonard.

To your other post, Curry was going to be selected regardless. It's his shockingly 1st (and last probably) Olympics
Was on 10 and 14 fiba world rosters that won gold and would have been in rio but was beat up from a long season/postseason...
The 12 now, not sure we see them all in paris

I am glad Brunson wasn’t selected! Hopefully he makes a big run in the playoffs and gets a chance to rest for next year!

Halliburton should’ve been the one left off the roster for Brunson. You don’t need a scorer on a team of scorers. Weird flow to this roster imo

Halliburton should’ve been the one left off the roster for Brunson. You don’t need a scorer on a team of scorers. Weird flow to this roster imo

That should work but just in case Brunson outscored Haliburton by almost 6 ppg

Great question MBF72 -- never won a NBA ring -- he is Managing director
An NBA ring takes fortunate outcomes, having a healthy career, he had a fluke injury that progressively set him back, being on championship thriving teams, he sought that then the injury happened...having an nba ring is not a prerequisite to be the front facing guru of putting together a squad that has the pressure of gold medal or bust. Colangelo was managing general partner for suns for decades, has championship worthy rosters that ran into jordan and one that got baited into a brawl and then lost his healthy big man when the pg he signed was a multi time mvp...

Healthy grant hill and tmac make the magic eastern conf finalists at minimum for 3 or 4 years....on another note...with what the roster was at the competition...what was the most impressive group since redeem team for usa basketball?

Posted on ESPN+

Here are the top 25 players in the postseason​

5. Jalen Brunson, New York Knicks​

No one in the Eastern Conference had a better close to the season than Brunson, who notched 35 points or more in six of his final seven contests. His 31.1 points per game after the All-Star break were second only to perennial MVP candidate Luka Doncic during that stretch. Brunson even thrived while missing co-star Julius Randle (out for the season after dislocating his right shoulder) and high-level sidekick OG Anunoby, who missed over two months of action while dealing with elbow inflammation.

Playoff defenses will throw the kitchen sink at Brunson, but he's used to seeing it all, as he possessed the basketball for a league-high 662 minutes, per Second Spectrum, and constantly kept defenders off-balance with impeccable pace and craftiness.

Brunson takes 2 times as many shots per game as the other guys. With an all star roster you need a PG willing to share the ball more. I'd still probably take Brunson over Holliday but not over the other two guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT