ADVERTISEMENT

Where will coaches be this month?

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

The headline event every July is the Nike Peach Jam in North Augusta, South Carolina. It features the best Nike grassroots teams, and this year it will span the first two live periods. Adidas' marquee event for its 3SSB circuit is the gold championship in Rock Hill, South Carolina from July 11-14. Under Armour has events in each of the first two weekends: Georgia for the first period, Illinois for the second. Puma's Pro16 Circuit will have its summer tournament in Phoenix during the first period and Indianapolis for the second. Outside of the shoe company circuits, there are dozens of independent events -- Hoop Group, Pangos, etc. -- for coaches to watch.

The third evaluation period (July 21-23) is for the NCAA College Basketball Academy only.

Reactions: silkcitypirate

The headline event every July is the Nike Peach Jam in North Augusta, South Carolina. It features the best Nike grassroots teams, and this year it will span the first two live periods. Adidas' marquee event for its 3SSB circuit is the gold championship in Rock Hill, South Carolina from July 11-14. Under Armour has events in each of the first two weekends: Georgia for the first period, Illinois for the second. Puma's Pro16 Circuit will have its summer tournament in Phoenix during the first period and Indianapolis for the second. Outside of the shoe company circuits, there are dozens of independent events -- Hoop Group, Pangos, etc. -- for coaches to watch.

The third evaluation period (July 21-23) is for the NCAA College Basketball Academy only.
I miss ABCD in Teaneck. I went from 1995-2006. Back when I had 2 then three weeks vacation, I used to use 3 days to go to the day and night sessions. Best $5 per session I would ever spend.

Before that I used to drive with friends down to Princeton for the ABCD camp. Man, those were the days. Watching the absolute best players in the country competing against each other. The camps in Teaneck were also good, but they were slightly watered down.

Best part of that was going to the restaurant, the name escapes me, for lunch and talking to the coaches. I was introduced to Gonzo back then before he was our coach. Say hi and he talked BB for the next hour without taking a breath.

I miss the Vegas summer league for the HS Kids. I sat next to Mike K and John Thompson playing quarter slots in the Orleans of all places when Amaker was just named our coach.Coach K had high praise for him
Saw Pitino, Calipari and a bunch of assistants at the local Pizza Joint . The staff said they ate there 5 straight days( Good NY Pizza is hard to get in Vegas) . The Bar across for Bishop Gorman was where all the college coachs hung between games

Reactions: Bluebeard
I was by myself at Teaneck, dressed pretty sharp as I was working, and I was looking at some work papers sitting in the stands. The uncle of Alton Ford, a great PF prospect from TX, sidled next to me and started telling me about his nephew. Don't remember if I played along or told him the truth. I could probably search the forum for the first time I told this story here 20 years ago to get the answer lol.

The woman who worked the counter in the 90s at White Manna was incredible. The first time I went there, place is packed, all seats taken, about 15 guys waiting for pickup standing around. NFW would she remember my order. But she got it right every time. A few double cheeseburgers with onions, pickles and ketchup...

My first ABCD in 1995 I was sitting with a friend and talking about the great players we were watching. I kept sayin, who’s #155 or #206? Since there was no rosters available. After a while the guy next to me starts naming the players and says you’ve got a great eye, the players you’re asking about are all top 50 players, looking at a book. I asked where’d you get that? He said he was John Griffin the head coach of St Joseph’s and this was a coaches book. My friend says, hey, what great recruits do you have for next year. Coach replies, I don’t have any.

One week later on July 11th he stepped down as coach and his assistant Phil Martelli takes over. Then becomes the A-10 coach of the year 4 times over the next 11 years, along with the National Coach of the year.

I busted my friend for years saying he embarrassed him and that’s why he step down.

Reactions: Halldan1
Driving to the Princeton ABCD camp you had to traverse a steep and winding road to get to the gym. There was a car in front of me driving as slow as anyone could imagine. I felt sorry for the driver because in truth he did not belong in a car.

We get to the top of the hill and pull into the parking lot next to each other. Out pops a 5-2 person who even then looked like an 80 year old guy. It was Louie C from St John's. My friends and I all got a big laugh out of that.

I never missed the double session.
Freddie Hill would tell me ..go tell # 44 that I'm here.
Calipari asked me for a good place to eat
Calhoun asked me for directions to GWB
Boeheim told me a story of a fan asking him to sign a dirty old pair of sneakers.

I felt important...lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT