ADVERTISEMENT

Will others follow Calipari's lead?

walshtrips

All American
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2006
Calipari is contemplating keeping his roster at 9 scholarship athletes. Does this strategy make sense in this NIL era? Will other coaches follow?

If each D-1 college limited their rosters to 10 scholarships, over 1,000 basketball players would be eliminated from D-1 rosters. Be careful what you wish for.

This guy has the luxury of recruiting bench players who would start at most other schools. Don’t think it’s smart to field a team under 10 players due to injuries potentially ruining your season. Maybe he is worried about cost per player since his average bench commit probably will make half of what our top player makes. It all adds up

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
This guy has the luxury of recruiting bench players who would start at most other schools. Don’t think it’s smart to field a team under 10 players due to injuries potentially ruining your season. Maybe he is worried about cost per player since his average bench commit probably will make half of what our top player makes. It all adds up
He's saying the quiet part out loud. Why should I use my resources to help develop players for somebody else to get the benefit?

Whats
Calipari is contemplating keeping his roster at 9 scholarship athletes. Does this strategy make sense in this NIL era? Will other coaches follow?

If each D-1 college limited their rosters to 10 scholarships, over 1,000 basketball players would be eliminated from D-1 rosters. Be careful what you wish for.

Goes along my limit of two transfers from portal . Would solve things in a hurry

Reactions: mbraue
How about this - make players who make above a certain $ amount (say $250k) PAY 10% to enter the portal. Would dissuade more than a few guys keeping team continuity together just a bit more

He's saying the quiet part out loud. Why should I use my resources to help develop players for somebody else to get the benefit?
I get that, but isn't he also benefiting by acquiring players that have been developed by other teams?...like Johnell Davis?

Of course it makes sense. Thats just step 1. The next step will be “tanking”, meaning you barely spend your NIL money one year and you save it for the next knowing you have a better chance at a major recruit or there’s a bigger and better expected pool of players available.

it’s only going to get better when they unionize and become employees of the schools. Can’t wait until schools themselves are paying football players $250,000 each per year

I think this is total off-the-cuff stuff from Cal that he really doesn't buy. Why would a team impact their ability to win in a given season by only taking 9 scholarship players? Two guys get hurt, or more, and you are in serious trouble. It isn't like every single scholarship worthy player gets significant NIL. You may allocate NIL to a core group of 7-9, but there is no reason not to try and fill the last few scholarships with players who won't command significant NIL but are scholarship worthy and could at least give you a few minutes in a pinch, worst case scenario, in lieu of walk-ons or non-players.

Also, why would anyone contributing to a team's NIL ever agree to this approach. Whether that be individual boosters or folks who contribute to fan collectives. That money is being spent to win games, now. If I contributed NIL and found out the team was "saving" money to be good in the future, I would be annoyed.

For a school like seton hall you have to gamble and not a bad idea if allowed. For schools like UConn I don’t see the added value.

Reactions: SOpirate
The value you may need a 10th or 11th kid who can give you minutes during the season, either for a game or an extended period. All it takes is a few injuries to derail a season if you don't have sufficient depth. So I think schools will still try to make sure they have kids that can at least potentially do something as their 10th-12th players.

• Haha
Reactions: HallGuy23
The value you may need a 10th or 11th kid who can give you minutes during the season, either for a game or an extended period. All it takes is a few injuries to derail a season if you don't have sufficient depth. So I think schools will still try to make sure they have kids that can at least potentially do something as their 10th-12th players.
If you have that many injuries or lack of production that you need a 10th or 11th player then your season is already over. Nobody plays 10 or 11 in college. Almost teams barely play 8

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I don’t know the statistics. I agree it seems teams play more like 7-9 players.

But if one or two of say the bench guys get injured or whatever, isn’t it helpful to have a 10th or 11th kid who is better than a walk on or graduate student? All things being equal wouldn’t you want that? And not every kid is a threat to leave. A number of BE schools held onto their younger guys over the past few years.

Forget injuries for a moment. How do you have quality practices with only that many scholarship players on your roster?

Stupid idea.

Reactions: dehere23 and Hall84
Forget injuries for a moment. How do you have quality practices with only that many scholarship players on your roster?

Stupid idea.
graduate assistants and walk ons. I think Calipari will later redefine his term of walk on to be someone not getting NIL money. Curious how much a player at a MVC or CAA conference makes. It may be worth it for Calipari to take freshmen players who can play at those levels, but decide I want to be part of Arkansas program. I'll be on scholarship with no NIL money, but I'll develop and play against some of the top players in the country every day for a year. With that limited roster, that player is one injury away from getting minutes at an SEC school.

Some of the best and most skilled all around players are Europeans who spend a lot of time practicing 3 on 3. More touches of the ball. Everyone learns to pass, handle, shoot and defend.

graduate assistants and walk ons. I think Calipari will later redefine his term of walk on to be someone not getting NIL money. Curious how much a player at a MVC or CAA conference makes. It may be worth it for Calipari to take freshmen players who can play at those levels, but decide I want to be part of Arkansas program. I'll be on scholarship with no NIL money, but I'll develop and play against some of the top players in the country every day for a year. With that limited roster, that player is one injury away from getting minutes at an SEC school.
Right I think Cal instead of trying to get 12-13 top players will go for 8-9 and then just fill roster with pieces that can be replaced each year as needed that can be practice players and a fill in only if team has multiple injuries.

Lesser players on scholarship is fine. But you are not maximizing your potential with only 8-9 scholarship players. That is ridiculous.

And how lucky were we with the injury situation? Plus every player was on scholarship so the practices were at least decent.

Our end of the bench players despite what many may think we a lot better than walk-ons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT