ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino concerned for future of NCAA

I disagree … does there really need to be 362 (and growing D1) schools? If they can’t afford it, maybe they shouldn’t be D1. As it is, so many of them have elevated for a share of the revenue, but what have they contributed in return?
I misread the cap to be per player, it does make sense as a team cap. All power 6 conferences would be able to manage and compete.

I think Cinderella teams add a great deal of value to March Madness. Many people who know little about college basketball become fans during March Madness, for the chance to see a lesser team will take out a giant. You can still have a field of 64-86 under Pitino's model.

Last edited:
Pitino is on to something.

Caps shouldn't be conference-based, but nationally-based based on revenues. Each conference can then choose where they want to be in that national framework. Each program can then choose where they want to be in their conference framework.

I misread the cap to be per player, it does make sense as a team cap. All power 6 conferences would be able to manage and compete.

I think Cinderella teams add a great deal of value to March Madness. Many people who know little about college basketball become fans during March Madness, for the chance to see a lesser team will take out a giant. You can still have a field of 64-86 under Pitino's model.
Still, we’re talking 362 teams. That number wasn’t far from 300 not that long. The majority of those schools did to glom onto the NCAA TV money, and have no chance of being one of those Cinderella teams. Even 300 D1 schools is probably around 25 to 50 too many.

A few days ago I posted the idea of a CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) type of arrangement that caught my eye somewhere. This is a step in that direction.

Ricky P probably relying on his past under the table player payments to make his thoughts known on NIL.

Reactions: Section112
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT