ADVERTISEMENT

Wow class of 2028

Average sat 1316 and average HS gpa about 3.7 on an unweighted basis. Go Pirates!
True confession. As a SH Prep senior with abysmal grades I was conditionally accepted into SHU with the admonition that my 2nd semester grades had to improve. My SAT total was 1048. My grades did not improve, however. A good friend of mine was working in the Admissions Office at that time and his boss --I think it was Father Shea-- said 'bring me the files of the conditional acceptances'. He did so but did not bring my file. Father Shea reviewed the files and some were officially accepted and some weren't. My friend simply then added my file to the pile of acceptances and I was in. I went on to a five-year undergraduate career in which at one time or another I was either on Academic Warning, Academic Probation, Dean's List Second Honors or Dean's First Honors. The Prep and the University were the greatest nine years of my life. And based on today's standards I wouldn't have even gotten a sniff as an applicant. I am ever thankful to have found my way from Jersey City to South Orange.

Me too. Too much concentration on sports in HS. Average grades and only 1180 SAT score.

I fear I as well would have fallen way short of acceptance. Meaning no work as a monitor on Piratecrew. Life has many avenues.

Reactions: HallLine69
True confession. As a SH Prep senior with abysmal grades I was conditionally accepted into SHU with the admonition that my 2nd semester grades had to improve. My SAT total was 1048. My grades did not improve, however. A good friend of mine was working in the Admissions Office at that time and his boss --I think it was Father Shea-- said 'bring me the files of the conditional acceptances'. He did so but did not bring my file. Father Shea reviewed the files and some were officially accepted and some weren't. My friend simply then added my file to the pile of acceptances and I was in. I went on to a five-year undergraduate career in which at one time or another I was either on Academic Warning, Academic Probation, Dean's List Second Honors or Dean's First Honors. The Prep and the University were the greatest nine years of my life. And based on today's standards I wouldn't have even gotten a sniff as an applicant. I am ever thankful to have found my way from Jersey City to South Orange.
I can appreciate your being self-effacing, but that's probably not true. That SAT score then is about the equivalent of a 1300-1320 now. The College Board has "changed" the test at least four or five times over the past 35 years, and I'm sure it didn't begin in about 1991 or so, which was the first time I was aware of it. Grade inflation being what it is, if there was any correlation between your performance and the SAT score, I'm sure you would've skated in. Looking at the long view, it seems to me that Seton Hall has drawn a very similar student profile for generations, even as some of the metrics around it have evolved.

Reactions: HallLine69
69, I have a similar story. I had very mediocre grades coming out of highschool and a similar SAT score. A friend of my father suggested Seton Hall so I applied and managed to be accepted. I finished as Cum Laude, later obtained a graduate degree at Rutgers, and then obtained a law degree at Widener. Thank God for SHU. I am extremely grateful that SHU gave me a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT