ADVERTISEMENT

Wusu to Portal...but

I will save my NIL donation next year. Where has it gotten us?

Well that's a knee-jerk reaction. The portal is open for another 8 days, but you want to give away the bag before we even know all the players. And I'm sure Sha is just sleeping in and working half days instead of trying to bring in players that fit his system.

In the current environment, I am going to default to expecting every player to enter the portal after every season. Some will come back and some will not. And those who don't even test the waters portal wise will be pleasant surprises.
I’ve come around to look at it the same way. I don’t like it but this is the new reality. No point getting worked up when guys go into the portal.

Reactions: chickenbox
It might be, but based on Sha's comments, I doubt it. Sha is a big fan of Wusu. As was I when we landed him. As are most of you. The BC kid we just got isn't scaring Wusu anyone. I don't think the Cornell kid or the Depaul kid scare him away either. Why would they? Wusu has performed better than all of those guys in the Big East/high major level and is a 5th year experienced player.
No way Wusu has outperformed Manon.

If it were up to me, once you enter the portal you can't come back. Have some pride in your program. Don't be used.
Shaheen wouldn't be our coach now if that was the case. Remember nobody wanted Ndefo, and he returned and led the run the Elite Eight.

I don't think so. He is in the portal to see what his value is and then he'll make a decision.
He’s got one year left. He’s got an offer from us. Only way to determine if it’s market is to enter the portal, right? Offers can’t come his way if he’s not in the portal, right?

I’m going with he’ll be back. For those who see him as an offensive liability I’d remind you not everyone is going to be Steph Curry.

Reactions: PF58 and dehere23
Shaheen wouldn't be our coach now if that was the case. Remember nobody wanted Ndefo, and he returned and led threspect my e run the Elite Eight.
Yup, and I wouldn't have allowed it, I respect my program more than that.

If it were up to me, once you enter the portal you can't come back. Have some pride in your program. Don't be used.
Or another way of looking at it….if I’m a coach I would tell my players ‘go into the portal if you want but I will not take you back if you change your mind’. That was my philosophy as a manager: if you don’t want to be here then go. I only want people who want to be here. That approach served me well.

Reactions: shu09 and SPK145
If I was a coach in this new landscape I’d be developing the right relationships with my players to where they should test the market so that we better understand player values and what other schools are offering. It helps understand the landscape and how to compete and who to compete for…..something like this, “Hey Dylan, it would be good for you to check out your value but keep me informed, if you get something you like and want to go I’m all for it, but the door is open here if you keep me informed. We want you here and you’re part of our plan”. Also, loyalty doesn’t exist anywhere. If a coach is looking at bringing in better players and recruiting over other kids…. and he should….why wouldn’t the player want to keep his options open and be in the portal before it’s too late?

Or another way of looking at it….if I’m a coach I would tell my players ‘go into the portal if you want but I will not take you back if you change your mind’. That was my philosophy as a manager: if you don’t want to be here then go. I only want people who want to be here. That approach served me well.
Do you think none of your employees looked but didnt take or get the offer? In this portal world, it looks like the only way a kid can look is to do it publicly, which is certainly not how I looked for a new job.

Reactions: Bluebeard
Do you think none of your employees looked but didnt take or get the offer? In this portal world, it looks like the only way a kid can look is to do it publicly, which is certainly not how I looked for a new job.
I understand.

Yup, and I wouldn't have allowed it, I respect my program more than that.
well at least youd have pride in your d3 program. great sentiment , but for now its easier said than done. desperate times.

the ncaa should make a rules that once youre in you cant come out. give the players something extra to think about before they enter.

The ncaa has no power anymore. Dont u see where we are headed? What value does the ncaa have anymore

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT