ADVERTISEMENT

“Speak for Yourself,”

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Colin Cowherd, Jason Whitlock headline Fox’s answer to ‘PTI’
By Howie Kussoy

Pardon the overkill.

A new Fox Sports 1 show starring Jason Whitlock and Colin Cowherd, patterned after ESPN’s long-running “Pardon the Interruption,” will launch this month, according to Sports Business Daily.

The show, holding the working title of “Speak for Yourself,” will run from Monday to Friday, but it is unclear what time slot the opinion-based program featuring the former ESPN staffers will occupy. “PTI” airs at 5 p.m.

Skip Bayless, who will join FS1 after playing out his ESPN deal, also is expected to be the center of a different sports debate program debuting later this year.

“PTI” is ESPN’s highest-rated program outside of live sporting events.

Kornheiser and Wilbon each have their insufferable moments, but that is actually a watchable show. I would not be making plans to tune into Whitlock and Cowherd, and Bayless is an immediate change of the channel. Fox is wasting money IMHO.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Whitlock was a buffoon when he was a writer for the KC Star. Being outrageous was his modus operandi even when he was totally off the wall and wrong.

Reactions: anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t
Can't stand Bayless. Always has an agenda. A Patriotphile.

Can't stand Fox sports in general because they feature those kids' games (Hey, I'm 80), the unwatchable game of foreign soccer and uggh NASCAR. Sorrry WWF and kicfkboxing fans. That loses me too.

Come to think of it, I guess it's a young person's channel so I'll butt out. Frank

A site I love to read wrote about the Undefeated. They then wrote briefly about Whitlock, which nails it to a tee....

"And yes, Jason Whitlock is the Sbarro of Black writers. Definitely and undeniably popular. But only palatable when drunk. Or on a 6am layover at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport."

Cowherd I just think of as a troll who knows to say to get people going. Whitlock is a contradicting moron who falsely speaks on behalf of all black people. Nobody asked for the Undefeated (although their content is quite good) and no one is asking for his televised presence aside from old guard stalwarts.

I could go on, but it is still a workday

I actually think this is one of their better ideas.... PTI works and gets ratings and quick hitting topics during 4-7 is what works before live sporting events.

I just don't understand why they need to spend all of that money for people like skip bayless, their are plenty of personalities that cost a lot less.

Keep it simple. Have a highlight show, "like sportscenter of the early 90s"with low budget sports anchors and a low budget set that spends 90% of the time showing in depth highlights which you can no longer get from sportscenter. Mix in some less gmicky sports talk shows such as PTI into the early evening hours, which talk about sports.

Whitlock was a buffoon when he was a writer for the KC Star. Being outrageous was his modus operandi even when he was totally off the wall and wrong.

That never stopped you, either.

just kiddin', just kiddin.

I actually think this is one of their better ideas.... PTI works and gets ratings and quick hitting topics during 4-7 is what works before live sporting events.

I just don't understand why they need to spend all of that money for people like skip bayless, their are plenty of personalities that cost a lot less.

Keep it simple. Have a highlight show, "like sportscenter of the early 90s"with low budget sports anchors and a low budget set that spends 90% of the time showing in depth highlights which you can no longer get from sportscenter. Mix in some less gmicky sports talk shows such as PTI into the early evening hours, which talk about sports.

The problem here is that networks make their footage for highlights incredibly expensive these days, and that is a big reason why ESPN moved off that model. It's also why you'll notice that exits to commercials and lead ins coming back have little to no footage of the games they are going to show you highlights of. It is historical footage that costs them much less to show.

The problem here is that networks make their footage for highlights incredibly expensive these days, and that is a big reason why ESPN moved off that model. It's also why you'll notice that exits to commercials and lead ins coming back have little to no footage of the games they are going to show you highlights of. It is historical footage that costs them much less to show.

Plus the fact with the internet, the need to watch Sportscenter shows is pretty much gone away for a lot of people. Can read article and watch highlights on my phone right after game or anytime I want, no need to sit around at 11pm to see how a game went.

Also, these type of shows, are not on during prime time hours. They fill the "dead time" at the networks, not much sports action or need for recap shows between 4-7 pm eastern, when most of these shows air.

I personally do not like or watch these shows, but obviously they fill a market, as for whether it is worth what they pay these individual hosts, that is definitely up for debate.

Last edited:
I think the PTI guys know and fill their roles as the "get off my lawn" guys. And to an extent, Woody Paige on ATH. Whitlock and Cowherd are tweeners who think they're cool and often come across as not.

Also, Im not a fan of Skip. But First Take is one of the most watched shows in it's time slot and throughout cable daytime television, so that's a big reason for the appeal. I think even Stephen A. agrees as much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT