HallBall02

All World
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
2018 Seton Hall Pirates -Likely
PG
Walker 5'10" So
SG
Powell 6'1" Jr (maybe play a little pg?)
Cale 6'5" So (could play a little 3rd guard line up)
Gordon 6'2" Jr
McKnight 6'3" Jr
SF
----
PF
Nzei 6'7.5" Sr (not expected to leave but his choice as a potential grad transfer)
Manu 6'11" So (Play some C and SF too)
C
Thompson6'10" So (play some PF)
Gill 7'0" Jr (if not redshirted)
Brodie 6'9" Fr (if he still comes to Hall)

Top Known 2018 Prospects with 3 Spots Open But High Chance 4th will Open Up
PG/SG

Anthony Nelson 6'4" Fr ...in top 3 schools with Minn Dayton....sch Minn OV coming up
SG/WG
Jared Rhoden 6'6" Fr.... in final 5 schools
SF
Khalid Moore 6'6" Fr ...(visiting late Oct with GeorgiaTech in early Oct).
Kiyon Boyd 6'5"Fr
PF/C
Vladir Manuel 6'10" Fr

Maybe a Ship Open for a Mystery JUCO or Another Transfer Coming in

Who am I missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe_T
Fixed....Its bc in my mind he already plays like a savvy senior...

Last edited:
Powell should never play PG although i do believe he showed great play making ability when putting the ball on the floor last year. I just think you gotta keep him at 2G

Powell should never play PG although i do believe he showed great play making ability when putting the ball on the floor last year. I just think you gotta keep him at 2G
Kinda agree but could of said the same exact thing about about Carrington going into last year and he is our starting PG next season.

I think in the end SHU brings in two kids who are not on the list at the SF and PG/SG position.

I think if Forrester and Manual commit, they go all in on King and Darnell Brodie does not come back to SHU.

Kinda agree but could of said the same exact thing about about Carrington going into last year and he is our starting PG next season.
Thats sort of out of necessity. Walker will have a year under his belt.

Plus i think Powell is more of a traditional 2G than Carrington. Much better shooter from range.

The speculation about Mike Nzei is really unfair to him and uncalled for IMO.
I don't understand your post.

Why is it unfair to Mike Nzei to say he could be a graduate transfer?

I want him to stay for his last graduate year. But the truth is he has the option to go to another school for a graduate degree the Hall doesn't offer without a sitting out penalty and maybe a starting role (if he doesn't have one here).

Again, would love if he stays and haven't heard he wants to leave but grad transfers are now norms with NCAA rules. Don't think your high moral authority is being used appropriately.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
There is a reason there are so many graduate transfers and SH wound up with two in Gordon in our BET championship run and Madison Jones last season and both were an integral part of our two most successful seasons in years. One of the reasons you see graduate seniors leave is to go to a team that has a high chance to go to the NCAA tourney that is better then the team they're on or because they will play a bigger role. No one is looking or wishing that Nzei leaves but to ignore that he has that option is just not reality.

Reactions: HallBall02
Questions to ponder.

Will TT and Manu play mostly center or power forward?
Can Cale put on muscle by soph year to be an effective wing/3?
Can get a 5 star PG or SF in this class?
Who do we want more Forrester or Manual?

Reactions: buckfoston824
Questions to ponder.

Will TT and Manu play mostly center or power forward?
Can Cale put on muscle by soph year to be an effective wing/3?
Can get a 5 star PG or SF in this class?
Who do we want more Forrester or Manual?

TT = Center
Sandro - PF/SF
Cale - probably not, but still can fill out a relative 3 guard lineup
Probably Forrester, but much better chance at Manuel

U could play Sandro at the 3 and have him also fill in at the 4 & 5 behind TT & Nzei if he shows the skills necessary for all of the above. And float Cale over to the 3 if Sandro moves over to the 4 or 5. And of course Cale playing anywhere other than the 2 (or 1) helps with our guard logjam of McKnight, Walker, Powell, Gordon & Cale.

isn't a case of his physical condition still not up to a certain standard? I say keep him as a redshirt since he's at best 5th big off the bench

isn't a case of his physical condition still not up to a certain standard? I say keep him as a redshirt since he's at best 5th big off the bench
isn't he the 3rd big off the bench?

I think it might be a case similar to Aaron G. We didn't need him for the majority of the year but I think he started to play near the end of his freshman season due to injury problems we were dealing with.

If the coaches think he can contribute in spots, a say no red shirting him especially since we could have a really good season. Not sure if this is the case though.

But if Gill won't contribute to helping this season team, would it be so bad to redshirt Gill, and take him off redshirt if we have an injury to our front court during the season?

From everything that was said about Gill when his commitment was first announced that, in short, he was not yet a BE player, then why not sit him a year and let him go against, Angel, Ish , Nzei and Sandro every day in practice and get better so that he can contribute next year.

2018 Seton Hall Pirates -Likely
PG
Walker 5'10" So
SG
Powell 6'1" Jr (maybe play a little pg?)
Cale 6'5" So (could play a little SF)
Gordon 6'2" Jr
McKnight 6'3" Jr
SF
----
PF
Nzei (mayb)6'7.5" Sr (if he doesn't grad transfer)
Manu 6'11" So (Play some C too)
C
Thompson6'10" So (if there is a sit out year)
Gill 7'0" Jr (if not redshirted)
Brodie 6'9" Fr

Top leftover 2018 Prospects with 3 Spots Open
PG

Nembhard 6'4"Fr
Nelson 6'4" Fr
SG
Rhodon6'6" Fr (play a bit if SF too?)
Martin 6'4" Fr
SF
King6'8" Fr (biggest need position, most high profile player left)
Moore6'6" Fr
PF
Forrester6'8" Fr
Manuel6'9" Fr (Play some center too)

Who am I missing?

At PG, is Markquis Nowell still targeted, or was that really not serious in the first place?

Angel. Sanogo/Nzei. Sandro. Then Gill, as of right now. Maybe shoehorn Desi as an emergency 4.

Updated...potential recruit list is getting much smaller....looking more and more like we will be getting at least one recruit for 2018 that nobody has heard of or heard little about.

If we get Mauel I actually don't think that's a bad class at all. Thompson and Q are legit.
Agree, with Manuel it's not a bad class at all but with what we are losing in our seniors and our original 2018 targets, not what I expected.

Maybe it's bc we were recruiting top 50 studs and we lost out on them (besides King) and feel withdrawal.

Still hoping for King, Manuel and either Rhodon or Nelson like everyone else. That would be a great class.

Without King I won't feel good about this class. TT will be a stud and McKnight is underrated but not enough IMHO.

Reactions: cernjSHU
Just remember the 2018 class was to be at least as good as the 2014 class as the stars were aligned for us to take advantage of the past two season's results ,as well as the prediction that the 2017/2018 results would equal or better the past two seasons. Add in the relationships that had been built with the top HS and AAU programs over the past seven years and the fact that we had been involved with our priority targets for multiple years and we could offer immediate playing time and expectations for a superior class were not unreasonable. If we don't land a stud HS recruit in this class it would be a disappointment.

Last edited:
I would prefer another PG as opposed to another WG. If Walker gets the flu or sprains an ankle in the 2018-2019 season, and has to sit a few games, I would want a a real PG backing him up.

Just remember the 2018 class was to be at least as good as the 2014 class as the stars were aligned for us to take advantage of the past two season's results ,as well as the prediction that the 2017/2018 results would equal or better the past two seasons. Add in the relationships that had been built with the top HS and AAU programs over the past seven years and the fact that we had been involved with our priority targets for multiple years and we could offer immediate playing time and expectations for a superior class were not unreasonable. If we don't land a stud HS recruit in this class it would be a disappointment.

Agree 100%. At this point it looks like King or bust. However crazy things do happen. And I still think we will get a very good player in Manuel. The class overall may be a disappointment considering all the big names we were hoping for, but with future is still bright with 2 incoming transfers, some very good young guards and some quality at the big men positions. Next season might be our deepest big men rotation in a long time. Granted I expect Mamu, Thompson, and Nzei to get the bulk of the time with Gill, Brodie, and hopefully Manuel to turn to on the bench.

The 2018 class was suppose to be very very good, but you can't expect a class to be as good as the 2014 class. This is coming from a poster who has been critical of our recruiting. I would be very estatic if we were able to get King, another quality big and a quality PG.

I want the coaching staff to be patient and only use scholarships on players that can see as starters or major contributors. Our bench players should be the starters who did not meet expectations. Even if we strike out on these high school recruits, other players will become available via decommits, transfers, graduate transfers, JC players, international players, etc.. Our coaching staff has no reason to panic.

Go Pirates!!!

Reactions: silkcitypirate
My hopes before any players committed were King, Carey and Manuel. That class I would have been ecstatic with. ok two out of three is pretty great. Key recruit has alaways been King. Nothing has changed.

Just do not understand this logic. TT, Quincy, likely more to come? Without King I am satisfied, with him I'm ecstatic.

TT and Quincy are not class of 2018. They're new additions, but not class of 2018. Just like I wouldn't include Derrick Gordon in the class of 2015. Great get, just not part of the class of 2015. The rest of my statement says I love our team next year even without King. Very good guards, depth at the bigs.

Reactions: SOBO1
TT and Quincy are not class of 2018. They're new additions, but not class of 2018. Just like I wouldn't include Derrick Gordon in the class of 2015. Great get, just not part of the class of 2015. The rest of my statement says I love our team next year even without King. Very good guards, depth at the bigs.
Fair.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT