ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Seton Hall Team and Top Targets

PG/SG
Anthony Nelson 6'4" Fr ...in top 5 schools (visiting Sept 28-30)
SG/WG
Jared Rhoden 6'6" Fr.... in final 11 schools (in home visit Sept 18th)
SF
Khalid Moore 6'6" Fr ...(visiting Sept 28-30, his first official, second to GeorgiaTech in Oct)
Emmitt Matthews Jr 6'6"Fr
Kiyon Boyd 6'5"Fr
PF/C
Vladir Manuel 6'10" Fr

PG/SG
SG/WG
Jared Rhoden 6'6" Fr.... in final 11 schools (in home visit Sept 18th)
SF
Khalid Moore 6'6" Fr ...(visiting Sept 28-30, his first official, second to GeorgiaTech in Oct)
Emmitt Matthews Jr 6'6"Fr
Kiyon Boyd 6'5"Fr
PF/C
Vladir Manuel 6'10" Fr

If King goes to Oregon, I can't say I'm surprised. But what would really really hurt would be if we still couldn't reel in the likes of Moore, Nelson, and Manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: shupat08
If King goes to Oregon, I can't say I'm surprised. But what would really really hurt would be if we still couldn't real in the likes of Moore, Nelson, and Manual.

Full court press on Moore if King does not announce for us.

Haha, true, next recruit up for the last few classes since 2014.

Are we strong with 2019 recruits?...not quite there but with 3 or 4 ships open at some point you save ships for transfers and 2019 players.

Reactions: ArtieLange9
In all honesty, after Manuel I think you have to ask yourself is it better to save the ships for 2019. Instead of investing time, money and other resources into a top 250 recruit is it smarter to allocate those resources towards the 2019 class?

Someone mentioned in the LK thread our recruiting budget is razor thin to begin with and I'm not sure it's the most prudent decision to allocate funds towards players who likely will not be impact players at this level.

In all honesty, after Manuel I think you have to ask yourself is it better to save the ships for 2019. Instead of investing time, money and other resources into a top 250 recruit is it smarter to allocate those resources towards the 2019 class?

Someone mentioned in the LK thread our recruiting budget is razor thin to begin with and I'm not sure it's the most prudent decision to allocate funds towards players who likely will not be impact players at this level.

If it was razor thin, no way Grant flies to Seattle to go see a recruit.

There are 4 or 5 kids I really like.

Manuel, Nelson, Moore, Boyd, and Emmitt Matthews Jr

Reactions: deheremike

I think some on this board suddenly think we're a powerhouse program because we're in a pre-season top 25 poll. 3/5th of our starting lineup was a sub-100 recruit and 2/5th was a sub 250 recruit.

I personally like or really like everyone of the players at the top of this thread. All of the SF options look like big east quality players ranked higher than Desi. They appear to be closely ranked and all bring different types of play. I personally like Rhoden (reminds me of Desi).

Yes we missed out on our option A, option B (listed at the top of the thread) is a pretty nice list too.

With all honesty, I don't think that is a good idea. We can't keep being the braid's maid year after year, and then say wait another year. Finishing in second, recruiting wise, is akin to finishing in last. We held out for Duval and got Walker by some stroke of luck. We held out for Forrester (who isn't even top 100), and now hope we can get Manual. We held out for King, and now hope we can get Moore or Matthews. We aren't going to get the top 50 kids until we fill two-thirds of the the roster with the top 125 kids.

I am sure I will be accused of thinking small. I am not saying we quit recruiting the top 50 kids, but what you are getting with a top 50 is an impact freshman that might be gone in two years. Right now, I would take top 150 playing like Manual, Matthews, and Nowell that will stick around for four years. They would be playing major minutes by their junior season.

With all honesty, I don't think that is a good idea. We can't keep being the braid's maid year after year, and then say wait another year. Finishing in second, recruiting wise, is akin to finishing in last. We held out for Duval and got Walker by some stroke of luck. We held out for Forrester (who isn't even top 100), and now hope we can get Manual. We held out for King, and now hope we can get Moore or Matthews. We aren't going to get the top 50 kids until we fill two-thirds of the the roster with the top 125 kids.

I am sure I will be accused of thinking small. I am not saying we quit recruiting the top 50 kids, but what you are getting with a top 50 is an impact freshman that might be gone in two years. Right now, I would take top 150 playing like Manual, Matthews, and Nowell that will stick around for four years. They would be playing major minutes by their junior season.
The fact is that recruiting a player is not a 4 year contract. Why not fill the scholarships and if they don't progress/work out then part ways.

So you would rather not take a chance on a player that could turn out to be Desi, Ish, Mike caliber? Sure. Might as well leave a bench spot open for another 5* that will end up elsewhere.

I don't think I said that. I am pretty sure I said I am all for focusing on top 150 players.

Updated...
PG/SG
SG/WG
Jared Rhoden 6'6" Fr.... in final 5 schools
SF
Kiyon Boyd 6'5"Fr
PF/C
Vladir Manuel 6'10" Fr

Last edited:
The pool of uncommitted talent grows smaller every day and that translates into more intense competition for those players remaining.

The pool of uncommitted talent grows smaller every day and that translates into more intense competition for those players remaining.
The transfer market has been a staple of our success the last few years. There will be plenty of players available. Frankly, brining in these grad transfers typically ends up with a very reliable and useful player.

True. But you have to assume that these kids that are raked in and around the top 150 come down to making a choice between a school that can offer playing time within a year or so as opposed to being #9 or #10 on the bench.

Bummer. He looks like a player. He'll need a year or two in the weight room, but he is a player.
The bummer is that even Connecticut in a crappy conference can get a kid on campus and talk him into committing. He never made it to South Orange in the state where he said he has family. Why can't we close when the kid is on campus? Always is a struggle

The transfer market has been a staple of our success the last few years. There will be plenty of players available. Frankly, brining in these grad transfers typically ends up with a very reliable and useful player.

There is one fundamental difference between the HS pool of talent and the transfer pool and that is schools are proactive in their HS recruiting and yet can only be reactive to the transfer pool because until a player announces he's transferring no activity toward that player can take place .

Saw that Marcus Littles committed to GW. I know we offered but not sure how involved we were with him.

There is one fundamental difference between the HS pool of talent and the transfer pool and that is schools are proactive in their HS recruiting and yet can only be reactive to the transfer pool because until a player announces he's transferring no activity toward that player can take place .

Not sure that is the case. More importantly, having a 3 year body of work to analyze, leads to a more predictable performance upon transfer.

Good staffs are scouring rosters and doing their homework now on players that may be looking to transfer upon graduation. Having 1 or 2 open scholarships is not the worst option given the makeup of our roster returning in 2018.

Good luck to Moore and Nelson (and the staff) on their visits this w/e.

Hope they enjoy the first day of formal practices and welcome the tremendous opportunity (playing time, Big East, NCAA appearances, etc) that Seton Hall offers them.

fwiw, Nelson who was ranked as a 2 star is now a 4 star per ESPN rankings (not sure when that changed but I just noticed).
He has a ranking of 81.
Khalid Moore has a 4 star ranking of 82.
Rhoden has a 3 star ranking of 79.

For some comparison...
MP was a 4 star 82,MC was a 4 star 84, TT was a 4 star 82, Eron Gordon was a 3 star 76.

Without looking it up everyone should be careful describing players as 2 stars. Many here in the past have gone to 247/Sports and saw 2 stars next to a player's name. But that is deceiving. 247 rates all kids 2 stars if no other service they follow rates a player.

There is no way that any quality site would ever rate a player of Nelson's skills a 2 star player. He's at least 3 stars and could be/remain 4 stars by the end of this season.

Reactions: Joe_T
fwiw, Nelson who was ranked as a 2 star is now a 4 star per ESPN rankings (not sure when that changed but I just noticed).
He has a ranking of 81.
Khalid Moore has a 4 star ranking of 82.
Rhoden has a 3 star ranking of 79.

For some comparison...
MP was a 4 star 82,MC was a 4 star 84, TT was a 4 star 82, Eron Gordon was a 3 star 76.
Interesting... I don't see Nelson ANYWHERE on ESPN's recruiting pages.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT