ADVERTISEMENT

A fool and his money …

You have no idea how much i wish we had the old Due Process Stable saying the same thing about SHU. While things are not going too well for St John's this year (so far), i can assure you Pitino is going to win there.

You have no idea how much i wish we had the old Due Process Stable saying the same thing about SHU. While things are not going too well for St John's this year (so far), i can assure you Pitino is going to win there.
I dont know about the certainty of "he will win" anymore. Before the season I thought after he brought/bought in what looked like a winning roster....getting some of the most high profile transfers as well as some very highly rated freshman.

Then this mess of a season developed...I think a Pitino of 20 years ago would have figured out how to adapt his scheme to the talents of his roster...and make no mistake this was entirely his roster (Absent who has been his best player, Soriano)...I mean that is what the great coaches do.

But, he certainly was not able to do that.

But that is one level of failure...when he totally lost it after the game Sunday...and threw his own players...the ones he picked and was gloating over....under the bus...by name....over and over...and he is now sounding like a grumpy old man.

It is somewhat disappointing to see, but I for one am no longer convinced Rick has anything left on his fastball.

Reactions: catholicman
Could it happen? Absolutely. But I would never assure it.

There has been much misinformation about NIL..including the involvement of these billionaires..many of them aren’t THAT interested in funding full payroll for college kids that they cannot control the return.

NIL has definitely changed the landscape in many ways…but most has been misinformed..that includes Miami

The stronger NILs are mass funded by huge numbers of wealthy people not whales.

Also, every coach complains about their war chest now It’s just what you do

There has been much misinformation about NIL..including the involvement of these billionaires..many of them aren’t THAT interested in funding full payroll for college kids that they cannot control the return.
You have to be the ultimate jock sniffer to bankroll a team each year with no return. Is that Repole’s plan or is he going to set requirements for the players….representing his brand/product or others?
NIL has definitely changed the landscape in many ways…but most has been misinformed..that includes Miami

The stronger NILs are mass funded by huge numbers of wealthy people not whales.

Also, every coach complains about their war chest now It’s just what you do
I can see a lot of different strategies. Let’s say you have retiring talent that is Top 20, but not Top 5. Spend big and pick up that one player that can put you over the top.

We knew Uconn and Nova would be ahead of the game with NIL. Georgetown apparently also is at the top of that list, which makes sense as that is a wealthy alumni base. Now you add St. John's to the mix. Creighton and Marquette no slouches either. It's why I worry about the future of SHU hoops.

We knew Uconn and Nova would be ahead of the game with NIL. Georgetown apparently also is at the top of that list, which makes sense as that is a wealthy alumni base. Now you add St. John's to the mix. Creighton and Marquette no slouches either. It's why I worry about the future of SHU hoops.
SHU hired a guy (McBride) to figure it out. Schools will take different paths. There is a funding need, but as we are seeing, coaching and chemistry matter a lot too. The roster turnover is something that will ensure constant change every year for most every team.

Reactions: Piratz and HallX2
SHU hired a guy (McBride) to figure it out. Schools will take different paths. There is a funding need, but as we are seeing, coaching and chemistry matter a lot too. The roster turnover is something that will ensure constant change every year for most every team.
How do you manage a kid who you just gave a Million. Bucks to? Nova supposedly gane Moore $750k. Wonder how that’s impacted his play.

This Repole guy clearly likes to hear himself talk. I have confidence Pitino will figure it out, but lack of talent was not St. John’s problem this year.

How do you manage a kid who you just gave a Million. Bucks to? Nova supposedly gane Moore $750k. Wonder how that’s impacted his play.
That’s an issue. Give a kid that kind of money and you’ll get a lot of different reactions. Jay Wright saw this coming.

Seton Hall’s problem is with fundraising overall. They suck at it. Always have. They keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. That’s not the way it works.

Seton Hall likes to go to the same little pool all the time. They only want to deal with their big money people and largely ignore everyone else. Then, to top it off, not only are people ignored, those same people are then called cheap. Not a real recipe for success there.

Yes, we now have Mike McBride on board but it still takes time and sadly things won’t change overnight. You have to build relationships and after people have been ignored and called cheap that makes the job even tougher to do. Can things change? Certainly, but the small little group that controls everything has to be willing to make the necessary changes.

You will still need your big money alums, every school does. Now, in addition to that, you have to cast a wide net and bring in everyone else, no matter what their donor level. As we saw with Mike Walsh’s great efforts (with no university support initially), those little donations add up. You build brand loyalty and commitment to the university. Over time that loyalty and commitment will grow and attract others and, hopefully, the longer people are connected the larger their donations will be. But again, it takes time and commitment on the part of the university for that to happen. I think they’d be really surprised by the results if they put forth the effort necessary.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
I dont know about the certainty of "he will win" anymore. Before the season I thought after he brought/bought in what looked like a winning roster....getting some of the most high profile transfers as well as some very highly rated freshman.

Then this mess of a season developed...I think a Pitino of 20 years ago would have figured out how to adapt his scheme to the talents of his roster...and make no mistake this was entirely his roster (Absent who has been his best player, Soriano)...I mean that is what the great coaches do.

But, he certainly was not able to do that.

But that is one level of failure...when he totally lost it after the game Sunday...and threw his own players...the ones he picked and was gloating over....under the bus...by name....over and over...and he is now sounding like a grumpy old man.

It is somewhat disappointing to see, but I for one am no longer convinced Rick has anything left on his fastball.
I think you're right in this assessment. The magic just isn't there any more for him.

12 new players on a roster is pretty wild but welcome to college sports.

They just didn’t play well.

Jenkins is a great all-around guard. And I don’t get the grief with Soriano. They don’t seem to play to his strengths despite him getting good numbers some games.

RJ Luis is a talented player but my God he can drive you nuts bc he’s so undisciplined situationally.

Ledlum is a BE bench player. So is Dingle.

I don't disagree with this general idea - every kid is different - but Moore just has been unable to regain his health, and with it, his quickness, and it's killing his play. A sure-fire NBA prospect is now completely off their radar, no matter how hard he works.

12 new players on a roster is pretty wild but welcome to college sports.

They just didn’t play well.

Jenkins is a great all-around guard. And I don’t get the grief with Soriano. They don’t seem to play to his strengths despite him getting good numbers some games.

RJ Luis is a talented player but my God he can drive you nuts bc he’s so undisciplined situationally.

Ledlum is a BE bench player. So is Dingle.

FWIW, we brought in 8 new players. 2 start, 2 are rotation players and 2 play sometimes and 2 rarely play.

And if any of us expected the incredible toughness and hustle we got from our 2 centers on defense this past Sunday, they are way more perceptive them me. I am not saying I thought they were not good players, but their contributions in the "effort" bucket were superb. I give them both credit for that and I think that it also stems from the top down, as our coach values toughness and hard work on defense and his players buy what he is selling. To make Sha's leadership more impressive, it is not like we had other options if these guys didn't play as hard as Sha wanted.

Seton Hall’s problem is with fundraising overall. They suck at it. Always have. They keep doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. That’s not the way it works.

Seton Hall likes to go to the same little pool all the time. They only want to deal with their big money people and largely ignore everyone else. Then, to top it off, not only are people ignored, those same people are then called cheap. Not a real recipe for success there.

Yes, we now have Mike McBride on board but it still takes time and sadly things won’t change overnight. You have to build relationships and after people have been ignored and called cheap that makes the job even tougher to do. Can things change? Certainly, but the small little group that controls everything has to be willing to make the necessary changes.

You will still need your big money alums, every school does. Now, in addition to that, you have to cast a wide net and bring in everyone else, no matter what their donor level. As we saw with Mike Walsh’s great efforts (with no university support initially), those little donations add up. You build brand loyalty and commitment to the university. Over time that loyalty and commitment will grow and attract others and, hopefully, the longer people are connected the larger their donations will be. But again, it takes time and commitment on the part of the university for that to happen. I think they’d be really surprised by the results if they put forth the effort necessary.
With a single digit giving rate it is abysmal. So we have literally tens of thousands of alums who don’t give. We call. We mail. Doesn’t move the needle. Honest question, how do you suggest we unlock the givers who might give small amounts? Many might give $100. How do you reach them in a cost effective way?

I just don’t think it’s all on the school. We’ve kicked this around before but if you were raised with zero philanthropy as most first generation to college kids have been it’s a tough nut.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
With a single digit giving rate it is abysmal. So we have literally tens of thousands of alums who don’t give. We call. We mail. Doesn’t move the needle. Honest question, how do you suggest we unlock the givers who might give small amounts? Many might give $100. How do you reach them in a cost effective way?

I just don’t think it’s all on the school. We’ve kicked this around before but if you were raised with zero philanthropy as most first generation to college kids have been it’s a tough nut.
10000% with you HallX2.

There are some pretty prestigious schools that have similar giving rates. It’s all about where you place the priority and resources. You have to invest in order to get a return when you’re talking about fundraising and development. There are also some very non-descript schools that have mid-double digit rates…that have no athletic programs to speak.

We have a pretty passive fundraising effort. Phone calls and mailings. I don’t see much of an effort, nor priority placed in this area.

Reactions: Piratz
Creighton and Marquette may be at/near the top of that list!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT