ADVERTISEMENT

A GIANT Embarrassment

You must be kidding. An RB to share time with Jennings? RBs are a dime a dozen now. Most teams won't even pick an RB in the 1st round any longer. Did Arizona or the Jets need to find an RB to get good? Isn't NE on like their 4th RB this year? A starting TE a necessity? Was Jake Ballard a starting TE you are talking about or Kevin Boss? This team is 2-3 players away from a playoff team with a bye and that is without using mostly FAs like say Denver has done. NFL rosters turnover in 3 years and you keep talking about players that are no longer on rosters. The injury attrition rate alone is so high. Was Terrell Thomas not a good draft pick because in torn his ACL twice neither which was in a real game?

Food for thought to apply to a season where the coach blew 3 winss at least.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/5/31/3055787/how-easy-is-it-to-fix-an-nfl-team-in-one-season
running backs are overrated, most of them have a 4-5 year ceiling and then done; look around the league, saints signed tim hightower off the unemployment line and he torched the jags

running backs are overrated, most of them have a 4-5 year ceiling and then done; look around the league, saints signed tim hightower off the unemployment line and he torched the jags

Jennings will be going into his 8th season next year and if the standard is they generally are done after 4-5 years then history suggests that he's playing on borrowed time ergo the need for a quality RB to back him up. I may be old fashioned but give me a balanced offense with a solid running game ala Seattle like their 2013 and 2014 season with Lynch anytime.

If you think that the woeful Giants are 2-3 players away from a playoff team let alone a playoff team with a bye you not only are the only Giant fan who believes that but it is contrary to what every media professional from former GM's , coaches, players and analysts believe . It's your dream world so live in it. Oh , bye the way the Jets got a great year from a RB named Ivory who has run for 989 yards, caught 30 passes and got 48 first downs rushing for the Jets and would Fitzpatrick have had the year he had w/o his two outstanding WR's . On your other point on roster turnover successful teams have a group of core players that remain with their team and the majority of them are players they drafted and allow teams to build around them.

You are actually delusional. You don't think the Giants can get a Chris Ivory, Chris Johnson, a Ryan Matthews or Deangelo Wlliams cheap? You don't think they can add 2 difference makers on the OL and defense with the money they have to spend? They can't get 2 starters from the draft with a top 10 pick again? Even Chan Galey is doing wonders with Powell and a good OC can do the same and did in NE with Shane Vereen. Now do I think the Giants are going to have to change their FA philosphy and sign more game difference makers as I mentioned instead of the Schwartzs, Casillas and Jennings type? Absolutely. Do they need a good draft class? Absolutely.

The Giants are years away from competing again? You seem to think the Giants are the 1989 1-15 Dallas Cowboys and they should back up the truck and Eli is Hershel Walker and the Gaints could get 5 players and 6 draft picks including 3 No. 1 picks in a trade for Eli Manning in order to compete again. That is how you rebuild a roster you posted. I am sure the Houston Texans are mulling that offer right now.

The one word that describes how the Giants can contend quickly again in the NFL is simple. Parity. As I said before you are still living in the 1980s.

Creative way to look at it Piratz and what also didn't help was the loss of a couple of their draft choices to injury particularly Owa - Odighizuwa the DE their third round pick as well as Thompson , the DB and Davis the WR in the 4th and 5th round .

I don't have high hopes for Geramy Davis. He couldn't even get himself activated over Nicks or Miles.

Odighizuwa (R3, 2015) who has been injured all year is one I like at DE. Reminds me of a young Kiwanuka type with his frame and quickness. They really need him to pan out. Having Hankins (R2, 2013) back is a big deal and I thought Bromley (R3, 2014) has played well in Year 2 up front.

I think you have to break the bank on defense in FA market because you need immediate contributors, especially on a free safety. Guys like a Tashaun Gipson or Eric Berry type, which have been circulating. Someone back there with experience. Pair them with Collins, then build depth maybe with one or two of those draft picks that got injured this year (Bennett and Behre from 2014 and Thompson from 2015) because you cannot rely on them.

Can one of them develop? But you need an infusion of starters, not gambling on these late-round guys anymore. They're a fallback because they're unproven, but were being relied upon as primaries heading into this year.

Now, is there an Antonio Pierce/Jon Beason veteran LB available that can make plays sideline-to-sideline and is a 3-down backer? Or a can't miss prospect? Not sure who's out there yet. Can Kennard stay healthy? What kind of defense are they playing next year? 4-3, 3-4?

Last edited:
This just in Eagles fire Chip Kelly. 26-21 in his tenure with 1 playoff appearance winning a division title. What will the Giants do as everything shakes out.

Technically "released". Sounds like he has another job lined up.

It's always a risk hiring a college coach who has no NFL experience . I think the biggest mistake they made with Kelly was giving him final authority over the roster similar to what Pete Carroll & Bill Belichick have making him the DeFacto GM .

Reactions: anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t
I don't have high hopes for Geramy Davis. He couldn't even get himself activated over Nicks or Miles.

Odighizuwa (R3, 2015) who has been injured all year is one I like at DE. Reminds me of a young Kiwanuka type with his frame and quickness. They really need him to pan out. Having Hankins (R2, 2013) back is a big deal and I thought Bromley (R3, 2014) has played well in Year 2 up front.

I think you have to break the bank on defense in FA market because you need immediate contributors, especially on a free safety. Guys like a Tashaun Gipson or Eric Berry type, which have been circulating. Someone back there with experience. Pair them with Collins, then build depth maybe with one or two of those draft picks that got injured this year (Bennett and Behre from 2014 and Thompson from 2015) because you cannot rely on them.

Can one of them develop? But you need an infusion of starters, not gambling on these late-round guys anymore. They're a fallback because they're unproven, but were being relied upon as primaries heading into this year.

Now, is there an Antonio Pierce/Jon Beason veteran LB available that can make plays sideline-to-sideline and is a 3-down backer? Or a can't miss prospect? Not sure who's out there yet. Can Kennard stay healthy? What kind of defense are they playing next year? 4-3, 3-4?

I agree that defense is the number one priority but the OL issues must be addressed as well. I don't know if you've heard this but there is talk of moving Collins to linebacker as his weakness in college was pass coverage and that appears to still be a concern . If they make that move then they need two safety's

Chip Kelly is a cautionary tale. The more the team was allowed to turnover from Andy Reid to Kelly the worse it got there. It was a downward trend. Very easy to get on the "coaching carousel" in this league.

Chip Kelly is a cautionary tale. The more the team was allowed to turnover from Andy Reid to Kelly the worse it got there. It was a downward trend. Very easy to get on the "coaching carousel" in this league.
I was willing to give him one more year to see how it played out. something definitely went down the way it all unfolded today.

I agree that defense is the number one priority but the OL issues must be addressed as well. I don't know if you've heard this but there is talk of moving Collins to linebacker as his weakness in college was pass coverage and that appears to still be a concern . If they make that move then they need two safety's

Agreed on the line. Right now they have a gaping hole on the RH side, but they have 4 guys under contract for those 2 spots/depth: Schwartz and Jerry at guard, Beatty and Newhouse at tackle. Beatty should be fine by next year, but Schwartz off two breaks on the same leg/toe concerns me.

I am not sure there are others out there that would fit financially and schematically on the offensive line when matched with the needs on defense. Interesting existing contracts.

2016 Cap Number
(Cut Pre-June 1st/Post-June 1st Savings)
Beatty = $9.2M ($4.2M/$6.7M)
Schwartz = $4.9M ($2.9M/$3.9M)
Newhouse = $1.7M ($1.5M either)
Jerry = $1.9M ($1.3M either)

Anyway, I've heard that Collins bit, basically emulating the what Deone Bucannon is doing in Arizona. But they also run a 3-4 scheme. By the way, how great is Bruce Arians? That was his idea. They list Bucannon as the "$LB" role.

I like Collins. He's had a very up and down year. Not sure of him as a LB, but could be a "joker" type of defensive player if they solidify the coverage portion elsewhere.

Also, I believe the Giants have the lowest percentage of drafted players on their roster in the league. Very telling.

The Eagles did what they had to do and are not wasting time. I can't say the Giants are
not doing anything behind the scenes, but Mara better not wait too long. I hope he's made his
decision already. All of the data has been compiled.

I think you can turn it around fairly quickly in the NFL nowadays unless you have a dreadful QB. Eli still delivers a good ball and can be upper tier when he has time to throw.

I think they need impact LB's to start improving the defense. The Giants can't stop 3rd and 4th down in
crucial situations. Talented LBs can be difference makers. They have the speed to close on mobile QBs
and elevate your pass rush. They have the ability to make plays and break up those 3rd and 11 conversions. At some point it became a historically bad defense in the 4th quarters. The defensive line
needs a pass rusher or two, but they have improved against the run. The secondary is atrocious and is constantly riddled with injuries. So they need players there.

In my opinion the Giants need a top notch running back. They just do. I'm not saying it has to be a
1st rounder, but I'd keep Jennings and that's it. The coaching staff needs to have confidence that they have a RB that is getting the 3rd or 4th and one. Someone who has either power or exceptional speed. That player is not on the Giant roster right now. With some improvement on the OL they can become a dynamic offense right away. In addition Eli can line up in regular sets and less in the shotgun formation.

We have proved that you can win Superbowls with solid Tightend play and above average wide receiver
play. You don't need Hall of Famers at those spots. Dallas has an elite TE and Wideout and has never won anything.

I'd consider getting a new punter also.

Why a new coach? They just don't win games they have to. Call it game management or motivation, but
it is now a pattern. I said many weeks before the Redskin game that it was the most important game they would play, aside from the last week against the Eagles. They were in the driver seat and it was truly mind boggling that they were down 20-0. It's just not enough to say "we had a good week in practice". Having said that I totally respect and admire Tom Coughlin. I actually had a chance to tell him we wanted him back at the Seton Hall Basketball game.

The Eagles did what they had to do and are not wasting time. I can't say the Giants are
not doing anything behind the scenes, but Mara better not wait too long. I hope he's made his
decision already. All of the data has been compiled.

I think you can turn it around fairly quickly in the NFL nowadays unless you have a dreadful QB. Eli still delivers a good ball and can be upper tier when he has time to throw.

I think they need impact LB's to start improving the defense. The Giants can't stop 3rd and 4th down in
crucial situations. Talented LBs can be difference makers. They have the speed to close on mobile QBs
and elevate your pass rush. They have the ability to make plays and break up those 3rd and 11 conversions. At some point it became a historically bad defense in the 4th quarters. The defensive line
needs a pass rusher or two, but they have improved against the run. The secondary is atrocious and is constantly riddled with injuries. So they need players there.

In my opinion the Giants need a top notch running back. They just do. I'm not saying it has to be a
1st rounder, but I'd keep Jennings and that's it. The coaching staff needs to have confidence that they have a RB that is getting the 3rd or 4th and one. Someone who has either power or exceptional speed. That player is not on the Giant roster right now. With some improvement on the OL they can become a dynamic offense right away. In addition Eli can line up in regular sets and less in the shotgun formation.

We have proved that you can win Superbowls with solid Tightend play and above average wide receiver
play. You don't need Hall of Famers at those spots. Dallas has an elite TE and Wideout and has never won anything.

I'd consider getting a new punter also.

Why a new coach? They just don't win games they have to. Call it game management or motivation, but
it is now a pattern. I said many weeks before the Redskin game that it was the most important game they would play, aside from the last week against the Eagles. They were in the driver seat and it was truly mind boggling that they were down 20-0. It's just not enough to say "we had a good week in practice". Having said that I totally respect and admire Tom Coughlin. I actually had a chance to tell him we wanted him back at the Seton Hall Basketball game.
runnings backs in the last 10 giant seasons, tiki, brandon jacobs, ahmed bradshaw, ward, brown, jennings, hillis, ware

giants are 1 of 5 teams ever to have duo 1000 yd rbs in the same season

there will be some guy in the 3rd or 4th round that you can get 4 years control for

I work with a bunch of longtime Eagle fans and season ticket holders...they have been all over Kelly and hoping this was going to happen. (They actually feel the same way about Ken Franklin at PSU).

I have a feeling Tom is going to step down after the last game. Then Mara will drop the hammer on Reese in a few weeks.

I work with a bunch of longtime Eagle fans and season ticket holders...they have been all over Kelly and hoping this was going to happen. (They actually feel the same way about Ken Franklin at PSU).

I have a feeling Tom is going to step down after the last game. Then Mara will drop the hammer on Reese in a few weeks.
i could see tom announcing retirement sunday afternoon, but reese would be out the door by next Wednesday if that is the change, you can't hold onto a guy when there will be a bunch of activity and interviews happening

in an optimal setting you'd want a new gm/evp/svp of football ops to be including in new coach and staff

Ian Rappaport was on WFAN yesterday. He said the Giants have the fewest drafted players on their roster of any team in the NFL. That is pretty telling if you ask me.

Reactions: Section112
Jennings will be going into his 8th season next year and if the standard is they generally are done after 4-5 years then history suggests that he's playing on borrowed time ergo the need for a quality RB to back him up. I may be old fashioned but give me a balanced offense with a solid running game ala Seattle like their 2013 and 2014 season with Lynch anytime.
Jennings may be in his 8th season but for most of them he was the 2nd or 3rd on the depth chart. His last year in Oakland and last year with the Giants are the only years he got meaningful amount of carries and both seasons I believe he missed a chunk of Time with injuries. So he still has fresh legs and hasn't taken the pounding a starting Rb would take.

Ian Rappaport was on WFAN yesterday. He said the Giants have the fewest drafted players on their roster of any team in the NFL. That is pretty telling if you ask me.

The really bad drafts between 2010 and 2013 are well documented. The 2012 one in particular may be the worst in the history of the franchise. Those drafts were littered with high risk players that did not pan out. It was a bit camouflaged at the time because the team was still built around that strong nucleus Coughlin was winning with.

I think that's why they thought they had the space to take some swings.

When the Giants had that miserable 0-6 start in 2013 and finished 7-9 it was largely due to the alarming lack of depth on the offensive side of the ball, especially the line. Mara had some criticism of the drafts in his season-ending presser and that next draft (2014) is when they switched up their approach and went for a slew of team captains instead of talented risks (and by risks, do not think it's just behavioral, but also the kind of work ethic, study habits, etc.), remember that?

So the past two drafts look better but it takes more than two and development time to get things moving in the right direction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/s...ean-picks-giants-look-beyond-talent.html?_r=0

Last edited:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x151230/every-head-coach-job-security-nfl

New York Giants

Tom Coughlin: 8

As the past few weeks and days have unfolded, it has started to seem as though Coughlin had to make the playoffs in order to continue as the Giants' head coach. He's not a sure thing to be gone yet, since he carries serious weight as a two-time Super Bowl champion and is well liked and respected by players and owners. But the vibe around the Giants has shifted, and they seem likely to be in the market for a new head coach for the first time in 12 years. -- Dan Graziano

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x151230/every-head-coach-job-security-nfl

New York Giants

Tom Coughlin: 8

As the past few weeks and days have unfolded, it has started to seem as though Coughlin had to make the playoffs in order to continue as the Giants' head coach. He's not a sure thing to be gone yet, since he carries serious weight as a two-time Super Bowl champion and is well liked and respected by players and owners. But the vibe around the Giants has shifted, and they seem likely to be in the market for a new head coach for the first time in 12 years. -- Dan Graziano
Read a lot about this being Coughlin's last year, but not much about who the board would like to see his replacement be. I wouldn't mind seeing Josh McDaniels get consideration. I know he faltered in Denver after some early success, but a lot of great coaches followed a similar path.

Read a lot about this being Coughlin's last year, but not much about who the board would like to see his replacement be. I wouldn't mind seeing Josh McDaniels get consideration. I know he faltered in Denver after some early success, but a lot of great coaches followed a similar path.

Unfortunately, there aren't many great candidates out there this year. Last year, I wanted the Giants to clean house and hire Bowles. I thought he'd be a perfect fit for the organization and so far he appears to be a solid head coach, although the sample size is small. I'd be open to McDaniels, but Patriot assistants under Bellichick do not have a great track record once they move on to become a head coach. I wouldn't put him at the top of my list but he'd be in the conversation.

I'd be fine with trading a 4th round pick or worse for Sean Payton, but it sounds like him and Brees will be back in New Orleans. Sean McDermott, the defensive coordinator from Carolina is a popular name. So is Adam Gase, the offensive coordinator from Chicago and previously Denver. This year there aren't really any clear cut candidates.

One thing I had heard is that John Harbaugh may be looking for a new challenge and ready to leave the Ravens. If that were the case, he'd be my number one choice.

Here's a little write up about McDaniels:

Josh McDaniels (New England):
He may be the one branch of the Bill Belichick family tree to one day perhaps rival his mentor. He's a brilliant offensive mind whose leadership and people skills have matured significantly since his stint as head coach of the Broncos. Hard to see him failing twice, and he has no shortage of believers around the league. Owners would be smart to have a cohesive plan ready to present when they do sit down with him and he's a smart cookie who will have done plenty of his own homework. A job like the Titans or Giants would be particularly appealing to him, according to some who know him well.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-got-next-in-nfl-11-hot-coordinators-top-list

Chip Kelly & the Giants deserve one another. Plus, he wouldn't gave to sell his Jersey abode. Perfect!

McDaniels, Payton, Cowher, McAdoo, Kelly (I hope not). Cowher is a longshot but you never know with the Giants. He has stayed in touch with ownership over the years. I really think Kelly is a longshot too. McDaniels and Payton make sense. McDaniels is from the Belicheck tree and Belicheck himself failed in Cleveland first as a head coach. Take McDaniels and Nick Caserio from the Pats front office to be the GM. He's a solid talent evaluator that Belicheck raves about. You could probably keep McAdoo if he will stay or let McDaniels tinker with the offense vs. wholesale changes. Another GM candidate is Eric Decosta from the Ravens. The other thought that should be weighing on management's mind is do you want Payton to go to Philly if we don't take him? Another thing to think about. My picks are McDaniels or Payton (even though Payton was suspended for a year). Caserio would be my top pick for GM.

Certainly you don't want a college coach with no NFL experience and it's hard to know what coordinators are out there ready to become a head coach. As to the two Giant's coordinators I would prefer Spags over McAdoo for two reasons I prefer defensive minded head coach's plus he's had head coaching experience. Remember the Giant's biggest needs are on defense and Spags would be a better fit to do that.

Removing Coughlin yet promoting one of his coordinators is a pretty big indictment on Coughlin as a coach, unless Coughlin is truly choosing to retire.

I agree on Spags. I've had this impression that could be the pathway, then they keep McAdoo - who I think could develop nicely, but likely needs more seasoning. Unless Mara goes Al Davis and gives it McAdoo hoping he's found the next Madden or Gruden like Al did. Although Al also had his share of Lane Kiffin's and Dennis Allen's!

Removing Coughlin yet promoting one of his coordinators is a pretty big indictment on Coughlin as a coach, unless Coughlin is truly choosing to retire.

I agree on Spags. I've had this impression that could be the pathway, then they keep McAdoo - who I think could develop nicely, but likely needs more seasoning. Unless Mara goes Al Davis and gives it McAdoo hoping he's found the next Madden or Gruden like Al did. Although Al also had his share of Lane Kiffin's and Dennis Allen's!
I'd prefer Spags over McAdoo as well. Removing Coughlin and keeping Reese is an indictment on Coughlin as a coach. I don't think its an indictment on Coughlin if Reese is asked to leave and one of the coordinators takes over the HC role.

I'd prefer Spags over McAdoo as well. Removing Coughlin and keeping Reese is an indictment on Coughlin as a coach. I don't think its an indictment on Coughlin if Reese is asked to leave and one of the coordinators takes over the HC role.

I agree. It's almost like a combination of two is needed. Tom should not be the only one to leave unless he wants to retire at 69 years old. Tom and entire staff is fired, Tom and Reese, etc.

Tom is not the sole problem of why this team is in the midst of a 3-season deluge. And despite some issues here and there throughout the season, overall I did think the team was coached up pretty well to contend against better teams and were highly competitive, an improvement from last year.

Four Giant(s) mistakes by GM Jerry Reese in the offseason that cost Big Blue
BY EBENEZER SAMUEL

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Updated: Wednesday, December 30, 2015, 10:09 AM
new-york-giants-camp.jpg
COREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Jerry Reese did Tom Coughlin no favors with his bad moves over the offseason.

This one isn’t all on Tom Coughlin.

The Giants’ longtime coach seems almost certain to take the fall for Big Blue’s third straight losing season, the franchise’s longest drought since a dark age from 1973-1980. But GM Jerry Reese deserves a good deal of blame.

All Reese did this season was hand a two-time Super Bowl champion coach a roster lacking in depth and talent, practically forcing Coughlin to perform a miracle. It’s no wonder Coughlin refused to “go down that road” when asked about the Giants’ talent level Sunday’s loss in Minnesota.

No, Coughlin’s late-game blunders didn’t help. But this season was doomed from the start, thanks to these four offseason missteps by Reese.

CLICK HERE TO PLAY GIANTS KEEP 'EM DUMP 'EM

POOR CRUZ CONTROL

When Reese spoke at February’s NFL scouting combine, he seemed fully aware that the Giants couldn’t rely on Victor Cruz, who was coming off aserious knee injury (torn right patellar tendon), saying the club couldn’t “put all its eggs in one basket.”

But it sure looked like he did just that, adding no receiving depth, content to trust inconsistent Rueben Randle behind Odell Beckham Jr. So when Cruz couldn’t play, Coughlin was left with Preston Parker manning the slot. Parker was cut after just two weeks and the Giants have struggled with complementary receivers all season; on Sunday, they were reduced to a pair of practice squadders — Myles White and Ben Edwards — working in three-wide sets.

The Giants could not be more reliant on Beckham for big plays. Beckham has eight of the Giants’ 15 catches of 40 yards or more this season.

giants-practice-mini-camp.jpg
ROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Victor Cruz (r.) never gets himself healthy and Giants have to rely on solely on Odell Beckham.
MYERS: IF COUGHLIN OUT, GIANTS SHOULD CONSIDER PAYTON

SAFETY LAST

It wasn’t a bad move to let aging Antrel Rolle walk this offseason. It was a bad move to completely ignore the position once top target Devin McCourty returned to New England.

But then Reese didn’t sign a single proven starter, experimenting with untested youngsters and washed-up vets, a setup that never insulated an injury-prone franchise against injuries. So Coughlin was left to count on a rookie with well-chronicled coverage limitations (Landon Collins) and two vets nobody wanted (Brandon Meriweather and Craig Dahl).

Dahl hadn’t started in three years — and he looked that way Sunday night, when he was easily beaten up the seam by tight end Kyle Rudolph for a 28-yard Vikings TD. Not that that’s surprising; the Giants have surrendered 58 passes of 20 yards or more this season, third-worst in football.

GIANTS LB J.T. THOMAS EJECTED FOR SCUFFLE

LETTING THURMOND WALK

Not that the Giants had to go outside for a safety. In 2014, Reese had signed corner Walter Thurmond to cover slot receivers, although a torn pectoral abruptly ended his season. But the versatile Thurmond, an ex-Seahawk, could have easily converted to safety, providing an adequate — and affordable — back end solution.

giantsweb30s-3-web.jpg
JONATHAN BACHMAN/AP
Giants safety Landon Collins gets beat by Saints wide receiver Marques Colston in November.
That’s exactly what Thurmond wound up doing when he signed a one-year $3.25 million deal with the Eagles, and he’s pieced together the finest season of his career at his new position, with 71 tackles and three interceptions. Yes, Reese was outsmarted by Chip Kelly.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. 'LIKE' US HERE

COUNTING ON KENNARD AND MOORE

Reese flirted with several pass rushers in the offseason, but only made bargain-basement pitches, reportedly offering Philadelphia’s Brandon Graham, who has 6.5 sacks this season, a one-year deal.

And that smart negotiating left the Giants relying on youngsters Devon Kennard and Damontre Moore to generate a pass rush. The issue became dire afterr Jason Pierre-Paul’s summer fireworks accident, and it never went away; the Giants have the third-lowest sack total (22) in the NFL.

But don’t blame Moore or Kennard. Moore, cut three weeks ago, had never proven he could be anything more than a situational pass-rusher. And nobody should be shocked that Kennard battled hamstring and leg issues all season and ends this season on injured reserve. In five years at USC, the 2014 fifth-round pick endured hip and thumb surgeries and missed a season with a torn pectoral, hardly the profile of a player who can be relied upon.

http://nydn.us/1Uflu69

Reese made 3 mistakes are equally translated to some of the coaching miscues Coughlin gets grief for:

1). He went into this season thinking he could be alright with absolutely zero experience at safety, relying on a group of 5th Round+ picks that were either rookies or in year 2.

2). He went around saying they could not rely on Cruz but did not add a significant receiving weapon at either WR as a safety net. You saw how Preston Parker hurt them in Weeks 1 & 2 with those crazy drops. He's still out of the NFL.

3). He got burnt badly by relying on two talented but chronically injured linebackers in Beason and Kennard.

Those were 3 issues that everyone pointed to as caveats, even early in the offseason.

I hope for Kennard's sake he can remain healthy. Good player, but he's already missed 11 games in two seasons. That's why he dropped in the draft to begin with.

Piratz
I think the biggest mistake Reese has made the past two off-seasons is that he went for quantity not quality in his free agent signings rather then using his cap space monies to sign fewer free agents but much higher quality F/A's .

I checked the NY Daily News voting in Hall Ball's post above Keep Um Dump Um voting and found that 85% of the voters wanted to dump Jerry Reese while only 51% of the voters wanted to dump TC and 49% wanted to keep him. Sounds like the voters blame Reese more for this year and the last couple of years far more then they blame TC. Not a very scientific poll but much closer with respect to TC then I would have thought.

Last edited:
I am on a NY Giant Thread, just to advise that my 49er sources tell me that there is a good chance the 49ers will bring in Mike Holmgren as Head Coach, who will turn around and hire Coughlin as his Offensive Coordinator. Although I loved Holgren, I believe it's time for new blood.

Reese made 3 mistakes are equally translated to some of the coaching miscues Coughlin gets grief for:

1). He went into this season thinking he could be alright with absolutely zero experience at safety, relying on a group of 5th Round+ picks that were either rookies or in year 2.

2). He went around saying they could not rely on Cruz but did not add a significant receiving weapon at either WR as a safety net. You saw how Preston Parker hurt them in Weeks 1 & 2 with those crazy drops. He's still out of the NFL.

3). He got burnt badly by relying on two talented but chronically injured linebackers in Beason and Kennard.

Those were 3 issues that everyone pointed to as caveats, even early in the offseason.

I hope for Kennard's sake he can remain healthy. Good player, but he's already missed 11 games in two seasons. That's why he dropped in the draft to begin with.

They had James Jones who never should have been cut over Parker before the season. They must have figured Cruz was close to being able to play, but still a veteran WR would have helped with the younger WRs maybe even the head case Randel. The article is correct about Thurmond he has had a good season the Eagles and really would have helped in coverage.

Chris Colinsworth also mentioned how Collins could be a Thomas Davis type LB instead of a cover S. BTW, did anyone hear during the Sunday night game Al Michaels say Pat Hanlon had to put together a DVD of OBJ actions and penalties v. Carolina for Coughlin because he did not see most of it? Seriously? All he had tt do was watch Sportscenter or the news for 5 mintues.

I bet Spagnuolo would've used Collins more that way this year if he had anyone who could cover. When you have to pull the likes of Dahl, Meriweather, and Taylor off the street, well, you see what happened time and time again over the middle of the field with that defense.

Spags himself has alluded to the fact that they put so much on Collins' plate this year because of it.

I don't think Tom Coughlin is going senile or something, nor do I think he forgot how to coach. I think he knew exactly what was going on but did not want to remove OBJ from the game and you see why. It looked bad. Plus TC went to bat for OBJ in a way that surprised me, even though he acknowledged it was over the line. TC had his back.

This team fought and scrapped all year for the most part. That was a positive to me.

Reports surfacing on internal consternation on what to do with Coughlin: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-tom-coughlin-future-source-article-1.2481302

And pressure is building for Mara to make the coaching change he never wanted to make.

It’s not known yet if a final decision has been made, but there are several people in the Giants’ front office who believe a change is necessary, according to a team source, and it is believed that co-owner Steve Tisch favors a change, too. Most people inside the organization believe Mara will eventually agree, if he hasn’t already.

Last edited:
For anyone attending Sunday's finale. Good stuff: http://nypost.com/2015/12/31/how-giants-fans-should-handle-tom-coughlins-likely-farewell/

Thank him for the two Super Bowl trophies that stand shiny and tall behind glass casing in the lobby of the team’s training facility, for the two parades down the Canyon of Heroes he helped orchestrate.

Make MetLife Stadium echo with the sound of Coughlin’s name when he trots onto the field before the national anthem and when he trots off it, through the tunnel, possibly for the last time.

Giants fans understandably are unhappy about this 6-9 season, angry to be out of the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year and sixth time in the last seven seasons.

But do not let that cloud your view of Coughlin’s overall body of work. Do not allow it to make you forget the Super Bowls.

So on Sunday, even with no postseason to look forward to, cheer Coughlin with the passion with which you once cheered his playoff-bound teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT