ADVERTISEMENT

A Walkout has been organized

jcalz88

All World
Jan 24, 2009
The powers that be deemed it fit to give us an information session next week to show us what the school has already been offering security wise we had asked for a Q&A time but they can not say whether or not they will stick around for it. A student group has organized a walk out at 12:30 Monday afternoon. they seem to have alot of support.

I dont understand how a walkout helps anything ... I think if anything you need to have students stand in front of the doors and not let the admin leave until they have answered questions to the satisfaction of the students if in fact they may not be willing to stick around for a Q&A as you mention.

Of course I mean this in an extremely peaceful way not in a violent lock the doors way, I just want to make that clear.

The best way to do it is to have The Setonian and Pirate TV (if it is around) there to take pictures and/or video of the session and any issues that would arise if the admin doesn't want to answer any questions, I am sure they wouldnt want to have news getting out about having to use any type of force or punishment on students in their way because they wouldnt answer questions.

Originally posted by setoniansource:
I dont understand how a walkout helps anything ... I think if anything you need to have students stand in front of the doors and not let the admin leave until they have answered questions to the satisfaction of the students if in fact they may not be willing to stick around for a Q&A as you mention.

And what can the admin do? Call security to help them avoid the students? Hows that for ironic- security responding to a situation geared at raising awareness about the crappy security.

The best options for the school would be for Seton Hall to start a Police Department rather then school security or hire retired police officers that are now able to carry weapons because of the Rice Bill. Montclair St, William Patterson, NJIT, Rutgers and many other schools have real Police Departments rather then security now. There are plenty of cops that are being laid off that could use the work.

Lets face it, times have changed and I would much rather the school be guarded by qualified Police Officers.

Originally posted by SHUMAN:
Originally posted by setoniansource:

And what can the admin do? Call security to help them avoid the students? Hows that for ironic- security responding to a situation geared at raising awareness about the crappy security.

exactly

and jcalz, I get the idea of unity but it doesn't actually do anything to help the situation which is my point. You need to look at the bigger picture. A walkout should be used to isolate one individual as a show of no-confidence - doing a walkout to a group of admins or a firm hired for security wont accomplish anything.

Mountain raises a good point. I think there needs to be more organized efforts to discuss things with SHU brass and SO Police Dept. If you do a walkout, walkout of your classes, parade by the Admin building, then the security building and end up at SO Police Dept. Put these folks on notice and keep the pressure on.

O im not walking out ha im not even organizing this im just syaing this is what is goin around

It's already hit the press, so it'll probably be a pretty nice turnout.

JCalz, might wanna update the subject here to include, "OT:" before people start crying.

Great idea. If I were going to school now I would prefer armed security. When I did attend SHU, my wife and I (then girlfriend) would use the library and occiasionally take a night class together but times were different. These kids at school now, with the amount of money they're paying, need to feel safe. These sexual asaults are happening around the cuntry on college campuses. Let's put a stop to it now on SHU's campus. We should send this suggestion to the powers that be.

GO HALL
GO HALL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT