ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Nelson

Nov 24, 2009
Minnesota fan here again. :)

I'm back and it looks like we are going h2h for another PG. Last time it was Isaiah Washington, this time it's Anthony Nelson. What are you guys hearing on your end? What does your PG situation look like going forward?

We graduate Nate Mason after this year, leaving Isaiah as the only true PG on the roster, although Dupree McBrayer can play a bit of PG. Hearing it is pretty much between Seton Hall and Minnesota with you guys being the favorite.

Minnesota fan here again. :)

I'm back and it looks like we are going h2h for another PG. Last time it was Isaiah Washington, this time it's Anthony Nelson. What are you guys hearing on your end? What does your PG situation look like going forward?

We graduate Nate Mason after this year, leaving Isaiah as the only true PG on the roster, although Dupree McBrayer can play a bit of PG. Hearing it is pretty much between Seton Hall and Minnesota with you guys being the favorite.
Unfortunately for us this seems eerily similar to the Washington recruitment last year.

We are hearing he should announce very soon and we are favorites which is same thing we heard about Mr. Jelly before he visited Minnesota last year so we are certainly not taking Kimani lightly with another Harlem area PG.

Our PG situation is similar to yours. We graduate our senior starter this year and will have current freshman Jordan Walker as our only true PG. We have transfer Quincy McKnight who averaged 18-5-3 at Sacred Heart but he's considered more of a SG who can play some PG.

We would use the 5'11 Walker and 6'4 Nelson as our PGs. Their size and skills complement each other and would make a good pairing. They also come from the same AAU program.

Unfortunately for us this seems eerily similar to the Washington recruitment last year.

We are hearing he should announce very soon and we are favorites which is same thing we heard about Mr. Jelly before he visited Minnesota last year so we are certainly not taking Kimani lightly with another Harlem area PG.

Our PG situation is similar to yours. We graduate our senior starter this year and will have current freshman Jordan Walker as our only true PG. We have transfer Quincy McKnight who averaged 18-5-3 at Sacred Heart but he's considered more of a SG who can play some PG.

We would use the 5'11 Walker and 6'4 Nelson as our PGs. Their size and skills complement each other and would make a good pairing. They also come from the same AAU program.
Thanks for the reply. I worry that we got in a little too late on Nelson. I know they had stayed in contact a bit after we offered him but the staff didn't really make him a priority until we missed out on our #1 target for our last scholarship. Can't hurt to get the final visit though, we shall see.

While I am hopeful, when was the last time we came out on top in these situations?

We have probably the most talented team we have had at the Hall since maybe the Dehere years and we still have the usual bitching from many of the usual suspects.

The way I see it from the recent threads here is we must have had about 10 connected assistants on Willard's staff in the last 3-4 years. Otherwise how could we have gotten so many talented players?

And BTW, that's not counting Whitehead who left after 2 years.

Without hiring a hs coach

How you guys can't credit Willard for the smarts (and balls) of hiring Tiny to get Isaiah is beyond me. This is recruiting at its best. Why? Because he got a great player (one we probably had no right getting) without breaking any rules. Seton Hall is where it is now (#15 in the nation) because of that move and it was perfectly executed (even to the point where Tiny left after a year before he had a chance to do any damage!) If you guys think the best recruiting coaches in the nation don't do things like this on a daily basis, you are clueless. It was a big-time move and should never be used as a point of criticism or punch line for a cheap laugh.

Hiring Tiny Morton was the best thing Willard has done in his career.

His recruiting has been suspect. IW, AD, & Desi (his 3 best players) are players he needed to hire assistants for

Reactions: deheremike
We have probably the most talented team we have had at the Hall since maybe the Dehere years and we still have the usual bitching from many of the usual suspects.

The way I see it from the recent threads here is we must have had about 10 connected assistants on Willard's staff in the last 3-4 years. Otherwise how could we have gotten so many talented players?

Amen brother. There should be nothing but excitement and credit given to the staff but we always have a handful of debbie downers. I can’t understand it. Let’s stop the nonsense and negativity and let’s enjoy the top 25 program that we have. Enough with the complaining.

Reactions: garyshu71

His recruiting has been suspect. IW, AD, & Desi (his 3 best players) are players he needed to hire assistants for
Desi had absolutely nothing to do with Morton. He didn't have many quality offers. We offered him after Fred Hill went to watch him play in December of his senior year. Desi was a 6-5 center on Lincoln's team.

Ok so your deflection means we’re not getting Nelson right?

There has been an overwhelming consensus by posters on this Board that this team is arguably the most talented and deepest team in Kevin's tenure and probably in decades and the fan base is enthusiastically awaiting what should be the best season we've seen in ages. It is also fair to say that there were exceedingly high expectations that we would bring in a highly ranked and regarded 2018 class for a number of reasons discussed many times on this Board. To have missed on so many of our priority targets is going to find posters who are disappointed by those results to date and a few have expressed their disappointment in posts on this Board , a not unusual reaction by fans on every board when things don't go as expected. You know as many of us do , that one or two commits in the early signing period of talented players will mute most of the negativity from those who have expressed it.

Concur hallgrad80; this should be a great season And, the cupboard is not bare when the Big 4 graduate. Nzei, Cale, Powell, Sandro, TT, Walker, Gordon?, Gil?, Brodie?...Would I have liked to see a couple of big signings for 2018.....sure. But, you have to like where we are right now. The onus is on the coaching staff to keep this going. #whynotSetonHall

Reactions: garyshu71 and wpc75
Sounds like Mike Nzei is going to lose his biggest fan on the message board.

Willard has not been a super recruiter, let's not pretend.

Kimani Young seems to have his number.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Willard has not recruited well (except for 2014) but he has successfully "coached up" the players that he has had on his roster.

My main issue with Willard's tenure is that the PG spot has been chronically mismanaged since Theodore left. In fact it's the primary restraint on my enthusiasm for this season as well.

On the other hand Delgado is the only top 50 recruit on this roster, and even then Willard and staff have improved his game by leaps and bounds every single year. Carrington, Desi, Ish and Nzei have developed very, very well under Willard every year as well.

Let's hope that a strong showing this season in the NCAAs and the NBA Draft (Delgado) helps Willard close on some of these head to heads going forward.

Seton Hall is not going to get many top 50 players. The key is getting under the radar guys in the 50 to 150 range early and watch them develop to top 50 talent. Examples desi, carrington, Sando, Cale, Powell and possibly Walker. The issue is we did not get any so far in 2018 class, two solid transfers helps though. Maybe we can land a couple in spring. The staff has done a decent job identifying talent lately. Let's wait and see. Plus enjoy this memorable season ahead.

And again, what's wrong with that? That was his M.O. and it worked. You sound like a child playing, "That's not fair! That doesn't count!" It certainly does count. I judge his effectiveness by the players we wind up with, not the ones whiners on this board crave. Our roster speaks for itself. We're loaded.

how is it we finally have a winning program, national recognition, and our recruiting is worse
Recruiting is like pre-season predictions. They are subjective, and don't mean much. I'd rather base my analysis on the games. Wins and loses are much better than what a player is ranked.

Teams are built on much more than recruit rankings. See 2001-2 and 2014-15. If Big East Standings in early March and invites to the NCAA tournament were based on recruit rankings, I'd be a lot more concerned about this. They aren't, so deal with it.

Willard has the best group of scholar athletes in the last 25 years, who are on the verge of the best season in the same time period. Message boards are fodder for the hunger of fans in the off season about recruiting for their teams.

All of this back and forth is just mind boggling. I'm not saying recruiting isn't important, as it's the lifeblood of a team, but the reality is you DON'T have to recruit top 50 players every year. We don't and are in the position we're in.

Willard bashers left over from March of 2015 still can't accept what he has built and have to post constantly of every little perceived 'failure" because we should have signed every player we offered.

Seton Hall is not going to get many top 50 players. The key is getting under the radar guys in the 50 to 150 range early and watch them develop to top 50 talent. Examples desi, carrington, Sando, Cale, Powell and possibly Walker. The issue is we did not get any so far in 2018 class, two solid transfers helps though. Maybe we can land a couple in spring. The staff has done a decent job identifying talent lately. Let's wait and see. Plus enjoy this memorable season ahead.

If you're a player ranked from 51 - 150 you're not an under the radar player you're a player that's going to have multiple offers and give me two such players in every class and one top 50 player every two or three years and I'll put a competitive team on the floor every year.

Agree 80. Under radar might be right way to put it, simply meant talent outside top 50 that develop into it and more talented then their ranking indictates. Those are the type players we must get. Not only focused on players ranked top 50 on some lists. We will have a hard time getting the highly sought top rated players. Hoping we bring good talent, regardless of where they are ranked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT