ADVERTISEMENT

Any students on this site

There is certainly a pattern of students not showing on Wed nights. Last three disappointing attended games were Wed nights I believe. Maybe there is something to what the posters are saying? SHU has to do a better job. I blame Kevin Marino and Dr Nyre. Right now their ridiculous spat has us with no long term leader at the helm to address this issue and I’m sure many other issues. Yup I said it.
The simple truth is that we’re not a strong enough organization to tolerate dysfunction and nonsense. A school like Seton Hall needs everyone rowing in the same direction.

Enter into the mind of 18-21 year old college boys on Valentine’s Day… it’s not basketball on their mind. Hopefully things change for the butler game

Reactions: shupat08
Enter into the mind of 18-21 year old college boys on Valentine’s Day… it’s not basketball on their mind. Hopefully things change for the butler game
That’s crap. Go look at home attendance for the student section over the years and then use that

Other threads have parents and students saying it’s Wedn night class or they have quizzes ever day and school work first then others blame the bus system and then others say the students don’t get enough free or discounted stufff to go to the games

Entitlement and excuses.

That’s crap. Go look at home attendance for the student section over the years and then use that

Other threads have parents and students saying it’s Wedn night class or they have quizzes ever day and school work first then others blame the bus system and then others say the students don’t get enough free or discounted stufff to go to the games

Entitlement and excuses.
I’ve done the bus ride. It does suck. The keg idea by @sami is the answer. But I’m sure it’s frowned upon by leadership.

“College kids drinking alcohol?! Not on my watch!”— Seton Hall administration, probably.

Disagree. I'm not sure a tweet ripping on the students is going to motivate them to show up to the next one. If anything, I could see the opposite effect happening.
Stop with the kissing the butts of the students and not trying to offend them etc.
they bought season tickets (large turnout to start the season), The Blue Crew was back and going to make a difference etc etc. but guess what—— they haven’t and are getting called out.

I’ve done the bus ride. It does suck. The keg idea by @sami is the answer. But I’m sure it’s frowned upon by leadership.

“College kids drinking alcohol?! Not on my watch!”— Seton Hall administration, probably.
Hell, if we could run a bus from The Hall to Rockefeller Center for the tree lighting and minimize pissing on the bus, I think the 15 minutes to Pru is doable. 😂

You see the Providence student section and 70% of them are holding a beer. News flash. College students drink. Embrace the frenzy.

Can;t give the Student body any excuses for this, but I had heard that Wednesday night is one of those days of the week where students have quite a few of those 5:45 to 8:00 classes if anyone remembers those days and there are some Greek events going on.

No idea is this is the primary reason or if there is some level of apathy going on, But Athletic Department needs to be involved to make sure there is full awareness of the schedule in advance and find ways to boost the attendance via cooperating with Greek life. The night class situation is tough to deal with.

Regardless, disappointing. Let’s hope next game everyone shows up and out.

School should mandate it that professors work around games. Big time athletics brings students to the university. Enrollment brings money and employs professors. Get creative, find a way to make it work. It’s not that often.

How many home Wednesday games do we have? Too lazy to look.
Another time honored culture war on college campuses where the academics’ ego cannot bear to accept the positive impact of athletics that can largely fund them. Oh sweet irony.

Another time honored culture war on college campuses where the academics’ ego cannot bear to accept the positive impact of athletics that can largely fund them. Oh sweet irony.
Oh come on. This is about showing up or staying home. Show up. If all those kids who didnt show up had classes, or were on a hot Valemtines date I will sh t in my hat.

Yeah, might not be perfect being in the bus. But it beats the 31 bus to Penn Station then the train to NYC. I bet we had more kids go to a meaningless game at MSG back in the 70s vs a nothing team than were there last night to watch a BIG EAST game. No damned excuses.

Back to the students, what’s frustrating is that Seton Hall has been a competitive basketball program for as long as this current generation of students can remember. I would think going to Big East basketball games is part of the “experience” they’re signing up for when choosing the school.

Valentine’s Day? It’s cold? Bad metrics?? All lame excuses when you’re 18-22 years old and could be hanging out with your friends cheering for a winning team.
They’re not lame excuses, especially considering you “can hang out with your friends cheering the team” from the comfort of their dorm where it’s comfortable, the TV is large and the beer is “free” and maybe your valentine gets in the mood

I appreciate the students and parents of students here giving explanations. I graduated 30 years ago, so I don't know anything. Most of my late classes were Tues/Thurs, and I don't think I ever had a once-per-week class, but I was a science major. That said, we had a hell of a basketball team in the early 90s, and I wasn't going to let 3-4 classes in the Spring semester cause me to miss a game (and the bus ride to the Meadlowlands was much longer, and there was no booze sold at games).

...And I walked uphill both ways to high school. Rant over, get off my lawn.

I graduated 2 years ago. I can confirm that most students take Tuesday-Thursday 5-7:30 or 6:30-9pm classes as that was most of my schedule so it makes sense why the weekend games/8pm games have good attendance. A good amount of my friends would not be willing to miss a game over class however we were not like most students who are not willing to miss any classes. Additionally a large amount of people I knew would rather spend $8 a piece on a 30 pack of beer and sit on the couch with their friends than buy 2 beers at the pru for $30.

Last edited:
I graduated 2 years ago. I can confirm that most students take Tuesday-Thursday 5-7:30 or 6:30-9pm classes as that was most of my schedule so it makes sense why the weekend games/8pm games have good attendance. A good amount of my friends would not be willing to miss a game over class however we were not like most students who are not willing to miss any classes. Additionally a large amount of people I knew would rather spend $8 a piece on a 30 pack of beer and sit on the couch with their friends than buy 2 beers at the pru for $30.
And there it is again.

Kegs on bus.
Hand every student a drink voucher on the way in.
$1,000 random ticket drawing every game - one student happy as a pig in shit.

NIL fund but for student beers. Any name ideas?
Pirates Plank is for payers… rebrand some Natty Light. I can’t think of a good name but taglines of “better than chum” or “because seawater will definitely kill you while [name] gives you a fighting chance”.

And there it is again.

Kegs on bus.
Hand every student a drink voucher on the way in.
$1,000 random ticket drawing every game - one student happy as a pig in shit.
Do these same students stay home every Thu-Fri-Sat night and drink cheap warm beer rather than go out to a bar?

What better date than a Seton Hall basketball game!

That used to work with my wife before we had kids. Found someone to fill my seats last night, fortunately.

I wonder how many Valentine's Day home games we've had in the past 10 years? I'd bet 5-6.

Curious is to any current Seton Hall students on this form.

If so, why the lack of interest in the basketball program. The year started out strong with lots of presence but it has completely fallen off.

There appears to be maybe 100 students there tonight.
It was valentines day and ash wednesday, all the kids took their girlfriends to tofu dinner elsewhere

• Haha
Reactions: Piratz
Maybe the whole "college experience" has changed in the last 14 years since I graduated or maybe the majority of the kids are just lazy and dumb. I know at work we need teens seasonally and this season was by far our worst in terms of the quality of workers. They just don't care. I rode the bus to both meadowlands and Prudential center. Pru was much easier, something must have changed with the busses because they used to leave every half hour (once they were full). We drank on the bus and snuck stuff into Prudential center it's not hard it's the winter time. Our teams never had a shot at the NCAA tourney but we were still there. Different times though. I'm just at a loss.

Because you NEED to drink beer to go to a game. It's pretty simple, the students just don't give a _______ about the team. Otherwise, all of these excuses are lame. I can sit in front of my tv instead of having a great time watching your team 10 rows from the court?

That said, clearly there is a disconnect between the university and indoctrinating school spirit into its students. That is something that the marketing/athletic department need to look into asap because it has bigger implications down the road with respect to alumni support - basketball or otherwise.

Students were there in the beginning of the season. There has to be a reason for the drop off now. Just have to figure out what it is. Maybe surveying the student season ticket holders is a good place to start!

Are you suggesting students gave up basketball for Lent? I’m thinking not. Valentines Day and night classes are most likely your biggest culprits.
This was the campus Mass schedule for Ash Wednesday:

Masses will be held:
8 a.m. - Main Chapel
10 a.m. - Main Chapel
12 p.m. - Bethany Hall
3 p.m. - Main Chapel
5 p.m. - Main Chapel
8 p.m. - Main Chapel

That's a lot of Masses! And such an extensive schedule is reflective of demand.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Man the posters on this board.

Valentine's Day and Wednesday night classes 1x per week aren't good excuses to miss a game?

Your wives must be so happy. And welcome to the 21st century. When I was at SHU in the early 2000s if you missed 2 or more classes your grade would drop by an entire letter.

So we are pissed students are attending classes and potentially going on dates on Valentine's Day? Get some real things to bitch about.

We also wonder why younger people don't post here.... OP asks for students to weigh in, they do and then the posters who graduated in 1832 chime in to call their responses bullshit.

Holy hell I wish I had such a great life that this is what I spent my entire Thursday worrying about.

Valentine's Day and Wednesday night classes 1x per week aren't good excuses to miss a game?

Your wives must be so happy. And welcome to the 21st century. When I was at SHU in the early 2000s if you missed 2 or more classes your grade would drop by an entire letter.

So we are pissed students are attending classes and potentially going on dates on Valentine's Day? Get some real things to bitch about.

We also wonder why younger people don't post here.... OP asks for students to weigh in, they do and then the posters who graduated in 1832 chime in to call their responses bullshit.

Holy hell I wish I had such a great life that this is what I spent my entire Thursday worrying about.
To be fair, it being Valentine's Day seems like a weak excuse. Watching on TV and not using your season tickets because beer is cheaper when you drink it at home IS bullsh*t.

Attendance was poor in every section last night. This wasn't isolated to just the students but agree that their showing was pathetic.

To be fair, it being Valentine's Day seems like a weak excuse. Watching on TV and not using your season tickets because beer is cheaper when you drink it at home IS bullsh*t.
care to explain why that’s BS? Above all else, like I said earlier, at this point in the season fan fatigue starts to set in. If you’ve gone to 5-7 games. Do you really need to go again in the middle of the week when it’s just an average matchup and the team played like it couldn’t care less a few days earlier against their biggest rival?

Reactions: Haas01562
I’ll add this. You older posters attended when there wasn’t as much to do in your dorm room.

Students nowadays have a full video game setup, full streaming television, internet, social media. Etc etc etc. they don’t need to go to basketball games as a means of entertainment or escapism

care to explain why that’s BS? Above all else, like I said earlier, at this point in the season fan fatigue starts to set in. If you’ve gone to 5-7 games. Do you really need to go again in the middle of the week when it’s just an average matchup and the team played like it couldn’t care less a few days earlier against their biggest rival?

Fan fatigue sets in when the team is tied for 3rd in the Big East and in the hunt for an NCAA berth when no one could have imagined it? Yeah the game against Nova was a bust, it sucked. That doesn't mean you don't come out and continue to support the team that represents your University.

And you are correct, there wasn't the access to in-home entertainment even 15 years ago that there is now. Don't the students at Nova and GU have the same amenities? The Nova student section was insane and they were coming in losers of 4 of the last 5 before Saturday. GU is in the toilet and has been for 10 years, and Carino noted they turned out better to play us.

I'm not discounting the importance of going to class, so that's a valid excuse, as far as I'm concerned. The rest of it is "meh" at best.

BOOORING!!!!!!!

I'm not one to complain without offering a solution or two.

1 - Don't schedule home games on ❤️ day & expect a great turn out.

2 - SH has to figure out another way to get students to the games. How about a free lot for students only. Free passes wouldn't work as they'd only sell them.

I'm not one to complain without offering a solution or two.

1 - Don't schedule home games on ❤️ day & expect a great turn out.

2 - SH has to figure out another way to get students to the games. How about a free lot for students only. Free passes wouldn't work as they'd only sell them.
Shu isnt scheduling the game, the league is based on logistics of broadcast partners and venue availability

Can;t give the Student body any excuses for this, but I had heard that Wednesday night is one of those days of the week where students have quite a few of those 5:45 to 8:00 classes if anyone remembers those days and there are some Greek events going on.

No idea is this is the primary reason or if there is some level of apathy going on, But Athletic Department needs to be involved to make sure there is full awareness of the schedule in advance and find ways to boost the attendance via cooperating with Greek life. The night class situation is tough to deal with.

Regardless, disappointing. Let’s hope next game everyone shows up and out.
Does the basketball season sneak up on our administration? I mean, we’re throwing around ideas as if these shouldn’t have been thought of…. Years ago!

When you see that you realize it goes to the core…Seton Hall is built to run small…and OVERLY conservative. I mean…a college student with a beer? Oh no!

You mean we have to tell them to go to the games? We have to entice them? Perhaps even add some fun things in?

Why don’t they just go like we did in the old days…marching up hill both ways, 8 miles in the snow….

Sorry…but we so often seem like a parody…

Guess I’m used to the lameness, and I’m more surprised when they do something right!

I’ll add this. You older posters attended when there wasn’t as much to do in your dorm room.

Students nowadays have a full video game setup, full streaming television, internet, social media. Etc etc etc. they don’t need to go to basketball games as a means of entertainment or escapism
Doesn't every student at every University have these same amenities and capabilities?

I mean I wish I had a solid basketball team in college to watch like this. When I was at Loyola they were 1-26 my Freshman year, again horseshit not to support the team.
This was my four years at Seton Hall: 9-19 (2-14), 10-18 (1-15), 14-18 (3-13) and 15-14 (4-12).

That totals 48-69 overall and 10-54 in Big East play. I know many who saw worse.

The teams of recent years look like the Warriors of the last decade comparatively.

Yet, I'm still there like clockwork as a 36-year season ticket holder. Still waiting on my damn basketball from Pirate Blue too. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT