ADVERTISEMENT

Bring the Energy

MTOleBlue

All American
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2015
The Rock
We need to bring the ENERGY on Saturday at 11am! The crowd has had some pretty laid back support for the Pirates the last couple of games and it got so bad that the FS1 announcers - including our hero Custer - said in the DePaul game it was the quietest they’d heard the Prudential Center in ages.

I’m tired of seeing everyone sit back and relax. Too many times, like others have said, we just wait until things start looking really rough or the team is losing to make any noise (waiting for permission to cheer?!). Can we please change that this Saturday? Loud and into the game, out of seats and energetic, from tip-off, and even before. The team is #10, it’s time that the fans in the stands start acting like it!

Here’s hoping.

In general, the crowds have been great this year. We’re averaging about 9100/game, which has to be our largest in many years. I’d expect a jump down the stretch too as March nears.

630 tips are a bitch because people have jobs and traffic.

I really am getting tired of people complaining about the fans. I have been a season ticket holder since 1981 and this is the best year we have had since the 1990’s. The crowds have been loud and boisterous. In fact I have gone on the road with the team and we usually have a great supportive crowd on the road. Lastly, the players themselves have mentioned how great the crowd has been after several games. Please stop looking for negatives and enjoy the ride. It does not happen often.

I really am getting tired of people complaining about the fans. I have been a season ticket holder since 1981 and this is the best year we have had since the 1990’s. The crowds have been loud and boisterous. In fact I have gone on the road with the team and we usually have a great supportive crowd on the road. Lastly, the players themselves have mentioned how great the crowd has been after several games. Please stop looking for negatives and enjoy the ride. It does not happen often.

In comparison to what it's been, sure.

Re-watch the DePaul game at home on TV and tell me if you truly believe the crowd was acceptable? 80% of the game or more are people sitting in the seat with no signs of life. Turn on a Rutgers home game, turn on a MSU home game, turn on a Marquette or Butler home game or even a Villanova home game. Watch their fans and then watch ours.

Our players are gracious and aren't going to say something bad about the fans, be serious. And sure, it's better than it has been in the past so of course they are going to say it's great because it's an improvement. But the bottom line is our fan base is in no way as engaged during as those in the programs whose success we covet so much. The only time our fans make noise is if we're making a serious offensive or defensive run, or it's a pivotal end game moment. Otherwise they sit and for the most part many observe quietly. The schools I mentioned above, their fans don't shut up. At all. The only difference for them is they change decibals depending on the game situation.

I accept it for what it is. I know our fans care, we just don't have the same culture of showing it as others. But I'm also not going to blindly believe our crowds are something they just aren't.

What is ironic is Willard commented on the postgame that if we would have had the same type of crowd we did in previous years, we would have lost....meaning he thought the crowd Wednesday really helped the Pirates.

I do agree that the last 2 home games the crowd has not been as loud as some of the other games. I think part of it is due to the sloppy nature of the games, all the whistles and the poor 3 point shooting (and lack of runs we have gone on). Hopefully we come out on fire on Saturday and the crowd is engaged all game long.

TOO BAD. Nobody is looking for negatives with this. We are looking for improvement with the people that can actually help. No different than donations. Our donations are up, still not good enough. Our students have been stiffs.

we dont cheer ourselves out of slumps. We dont cheer unless something great happens. When it does its really really great... but maybe 10% of the game. We need to be around 70%.

its true and WE can fix it. Not just complaining about the team or willard. This is on us. Our team is top 10 and they deserve an atmosphere that is top 10. We are filling the place better but we are nowhere near top 10 crowd.

dont reject this. My god what a disservice u are doing. This only helps the team. If you dont cheer (i bet youve never started a cheer) then do it saturday. Join in. If u already cheer, try starting one. U might be embarrassed but we need to get it going more often. Why not?

if u think its good, make it great.

Re-watch the DePaul game at home on TV and tell me if you truly believe the crowd was acceptable? 80% of the game or more are people sitting in the seat with no signs of life. Turn on a Rutgers home game, turn on a MSU home game, turn on a Marquette or Butler home game or even a Villanova home game. Watch their fans and then watch ours.

Our players are gracious and aren't going to say something bad about the fans, be serious. And sure, it's better than it has been in the past so of course they are going to say it's great because it's an improvement. But the bottom line is our fan base is in no way as engaged during as those in the programs whose success we covet so much. The only time our fans make noise is if we're making a serious offensive or defensive run, or it's a pivotal end game moment. Otherwise they sit and for the most part many observe quietly. The schools I mentioned above, their fans don't shut up. At all. The only difference for them is they change decibals depending on the game situation.

I accept it for what it is. I know our fans care, we just don't have the same culture of showing it as others. But I'm also not going to blindly believe our crowds are something they just aren't.
Bingo. If donnie baseball is pointing it out, maybe its true. And it doesnt mean it cant be better. We owe them.

anyone that has backlash to this is guaranteed to be a fan who cannot be bothered during the game. The kind that hears someone try to start a cheer and doesnt join in. The perpetrators. Your way of life is being challenged, no longer will you casually relax during the game. Theres no other reason to get on board

FWIW, I agree with PFKAS. Job and life obligations limit the number of actual games I can get to, but I made it home with a little bit of time left in the first half. I feared there was no crowd when I turned the game on due to hearing nothing emanating from outside the court. I saw that wasn't the case when they showed behind the hoops on FTs, and I realized it was just a dead crowd...present, but dead. It was much better once the team showed some defensive life in the 2nd half, but that is the point - reactionary crowd...not one to push a team out of the doldrums.

Reactions: Piratz
Very few if any fan bases are the start of the noise. They react to good play.

Good play doesn't matter. The crowd MUST be good for good play to occur, I guess.

This has been a debate on this board forever.... It first started during the Gonzo/KW years with "you're a bad fan if you don't attend every game no matter the circumstance".

Now, since we have a large crowd the debate has changed to "you suck as fans because you're not screaming your face off when the team looks like they don't want to be there. You as the fan have the responsibility to make the players want to be there."

Wonder what the next lecture in proper fandom will be on this board?

And FWIW, I'm one of the most vocal people in my section (and probably the arena) and I HATE these threads that literally happen after every game.

Last edited:
Hey 08, the players slap skin after a missed ft. Maybe we should give each miss some thunderous applause. Place would have been ROCKING Wed.

Reactions: SHUSource
Good play doesn't matter. The crowd MUST be good for good play to occur, I guess.

This has been a debate on this board forever.... It first started during the Gonzo/KW years with "you're a bad fan if you don't attend every game no matter the circumstance".

Now, since we have a large crowd the debate has changed to "you suck as fans because you're not screaming your face off when the team looks like they don't want to be there. You as the fan have the responsibility to make the players want to be there."

Wonder what the next lecture in proper fandom will be on this board?

And FWIW, I'm one of the most vocal people in my section (and probably the arena) and I HATE these threads that literally happen after every game.
do you hate threads about donating to the school? this is same thing, just with energy. it helps. it helps bury other teams confidence and helps bring ours out of a rut when theyre down (which we dont do). When our team starts playing bad you can feel the tangible bad energy from the sour crowd.

we have ONE cheer, and we rarely use it anymore. this is a special season and ill die on this hill.

The students have to come up with an easy chant. S H U, something people will join and keep up. Lets go Seton Hall and the claps will never do it.
good point. who is in charge of the student section?

youre spot on. S H U. or SETON > HALL. Students say seton, crowd says hall. why cant we have video on the big screen help out? even a 10s video "hey pirate fans when we say seton, you say hall"

thats something that can stick easy.

Hey 08, the players slap skin after a missed ft. Maybe we should give each miss some thunderous applause. Place would have been ROCKING Wed.

I agree let's cheer after missed shots to energize our team. They will surely make the next shot. We should have cheered after Shavar plowed into the dude the other night for a charge. Why did the crowd react negatively to that? BAD FANS.

I happen to agree with you. The DePaul game felt blah until the second half. The Seton Hall fan is an older fan, the arena is huge and sound dissipates, the energy from the students are limited to one area behind one basket, our band is eh. All of this contributes to the issues of crowd energy and noise. I think having the students limited to one basket hurts the energy. Some schools like Michigan have the students surround half floor with the first 8 or 10 rows that are facing the TV cameras. Duke has the students surround the floor. This gives energy to the arena.

However, once the crowd gets into it, the Rock gets pretty loud. It will never be like some on-campus arena but some things can be done to improve it.

I agree let's cheer after missed shots to energize our team. They will surely make the next shot. We should have cheered after Shavar plowed into the dude the other night for a charge. Why did the crowd react negatively to that? BAD FANS.
you cheer to cut the bleeding. yea its tough when they throw out stinkers, but you dont always have to cheer to celebrate. you can cheer to urge on. that mindset makes it easier. this is a winning year. this isnt marquette big east where you boo to send a message.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
good point. who is in charge of the student section?

youre spot on. S H U. or SETON > HALL. Students say seton, crowd says hall. why cant we have video on the big screen help out? even a 10s video "hey pirate fans when we say seton, you say hall"

thats something that can stick easy.

Good idea - Seton Hall chant is a good one.

It was DePaul on a Wednesday night (so probably less beers flowing). NO JUICE until it got close and then the crowd seemed to come alive (from my POV watching via television). The players looked flatter than the fans did IMHO.

Reactions: shupat08
Put on a show early and make some special shots like a Ro dunk off a feed from Q and a Powell three from well behind the arc and a Rhoden basket off a rebound and that will get the crowd going early.

Now we're blaming fans. This board is incredible. The crowds this season have been consistently the best since I've been attending games, which is over 20 years now.

This. Well said.

People will be longing for these so-called "low energy" crowds if we ever fall into the abyss again and have 3,500 people for a midweek game against Butler.

Now we're blaming fans. This board is incredible. The crowds this season have been consistently the best since I've been attending games, which is over 20 years now.

Borderline insane. Now that we're getting results, we have fans who want to think the fans are the reasons for all things good and bad. Bad fans the other night obviously the reason for poor play. Wait til we play well, they're going to be the reason for it.

Reactions: thehall07
Part of the problem is the Prudential Center, you cannot compare it to say noise generated at the RAC or Hinkle for example. The arena is large and sound is going to get lost. Also, most arena are not "loud" when teams are playing badly. I really do not have any complaints about the fans or crowd size this year.

This is on us. Our team is top 10 and they deserve an atmosphere that is top 10. We are filling the place better but we are nowhere near top 10 crowd.

Well said. Agree 100% We still have a bit of a "show me" crowd. If not now, when? Place should be bananas.

Bingo. If donnie baseball is pointing it out, maybe its true. And it doesnt mean it cant be better. We owe them.

Thanks, I think.

STOP. you are spreading FAKE NEWS.

nobody is BLAMING fans... we are on a 10 game win streak. blame for what? leave it to the Hall to go out of their way and protect being small time. who cares if this is the best season for attendance? we were terrible before. and if we are terrible again and the fans dont show, well it proves my point. They only show when we are doing well. i dont care what other teams do. i dont care what it used to be like.

Can we do better? YES. Is it that hard to do? NO. What is stopping us? fans like YOU.

attendance isnt everything. WHY NOT.

Borderline insane. Now that we're getting results, we have fans who want to think the fans are the reasons for all things good and bad. Bad fans the other night obviously the reason for poor play. Wait til we play well, they're going to be the reason for it.
no. i dont think the fans are the reason for anything. our team is top 10. our fans dont act like our team is top 10. plain and simple. weve come a long way and here we are... and we have people like you and shu09 vehemently protesting getting off your asses and showing this team the love they deserve.

rename this thread to crazy pills.

and dont give me the "i cheer in this section... yada yada" were watching a special team with top 10 basketball at the rock. stop being so god damn scared to offend the old people around you by starting some noise.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
no. i dont think the fans are the reason for anything. our team is top 10. our fans dont act like our team is top 10. plain and simple. weve come a long way and here we are... and we have people like you and shu09 vehemently protesting getting off your asses and showing this team the love they deserve.

rename this thread to crazy pills.
Reading comprehension buddy. I don’t know where @shu09 or myself ever said for people to stay seated or stay quiet at the games. But blaming those that choose to is asinine.

Reactions: shu09
Put on a show early and make some special shots like a Ro dunk off a feed from Q and a Powell three from well behind the arc and a Rhoden basket off a rebound and that will get the crowd going early.
will it? here are our plays to open up depaul

McKnight THREE
Ro DUNK
Ro DUNK
Powell Layup
Rhoden THREE
Rhoden Layup
Powell THREE

17-6 aaaand the crowd on life support.

if the bar is high for them, why not us. we are great. but we should strive to be the best. why not? why so opposed?

This. Well said.

People will be longing for these so-called "low energy" crowds if we ever fall into the abyss again and have 3,500 people for a midweek game against Butler.

Sorry, this comes across dumb to me. There's nothing wrong with hoping our fans continue to step up. If you think that what's happening now is good enough, than that's on you and I'm sorry to say it just really isn't. We take so much pride in our school and our team and we expect both to be the best, yet we don't seem to have the same expectation for our fan base.

We're supposed to be satisfied now because we're supposed to remember what it was like to have 1,800 people for a Tuesday night game? That's like saying we should be happy we're eating PB&J for dinner every night because 5 years ago we were eating crackers. Of course we should be happy for improvement, but why is this our ceiling?

Is it wrong for wanting our fan base to continue to do better?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT