ADVERTISEMENT

COVID SHU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crappy news. Literally posted on the pac12 mick Cronin thread this was prob coming for all teams this winter. Didn’t know it would affect us this soon though.

Are both the St. John’s and depaul games in jeopardy?

Honestly, this was inevitable with (supposedly, reportedly, allegedly) unvaccinated players. Rather it happen in December than in February/March.

Reactions: Aross1995
forget forfiets. well be rolling out a team at 50% ability for a month. and thats if some of the players played at all.

Reactions: hbkmyr
Let's not have this conversation here and keep it on basketball. Bottom line, this sucks.
This Is directly related to our basketball team. We’re forfeiting games for a virus variant that’s symptoms compare to a cold. As of Monday there were 43 cases of OMNICRON in the US. You read that right, 43. Most of them were vaccinated and 50% were boosted. Only 1 was hospitalized and quickly released. We’re going to have our best season and hopes of a NC torpedoed by the sniffles.

I'll keep this brief. That's a variant. Not the virus as a whole. And with (possibly, allegedly, supposedly) unvaccinated players, it's a heightened risk. I'm not gonna do the shame game here as a basketball message board is not the place for keyboard warrior to flex their muscles. It is what it is. We'll see the long term effects on how this team does throughout the season.

I'll keep this brief. That's a variant. Not the virus as a whole. And with (possibly, allegedly, supposedly) unvaccinated players, it's a heightened risk. I'm not gonna do the shame game here as a basketball message board is not the place for keyboard warrior to flex their muscles. It is what it is. We'll see the long term effects on how this team does throughout the season.
This is the more concerning part

forget forfiets. well be rolling out a team at 50% ability for a month. and thats if some of the players played at all.
That seems like its gonna be an issue, plus missed practice time. Per Zach B you need 7 scholarship players. Looks like we may be shortening the rotation.

Reactions: SHUSA
This Is directly related to our basketball team. We’re forfeiting games for a virus variant that’s symptoms compare to a cold. As of Monday there were 43 cases of OMNICRON in the US. You read that right, 43. Most of them were vaccinated and 50% were boosted. Only 1 was hospitalized and quickly released. We’re going to have our best season and hopes of a NC torpedoed by the sniffles.
Give Mark Emmert and the Big East commissioner call I’m sure they will change the rules

Easy to blame the unvaccinated players on the Hall, but, I pose this question: Out of the 4,500 positive cases in NYC yesterday, how many of those patients are vaccinated? I would guess the overwhelming majority. The NCAA/Big East needs to update it's Covid policy given how many breakthrough cases Omicron is causing amongst the vaccinated.

Doesn’t matter if you get the jab or not, you can still get and transmit Covid. I don’t blame guys for not getting it especially with the risk of myocarditis. No need to risk heart issues over what amounts to a cold.

First off, only 54% as a campus vaccinated is terrible
If the basketball players really want to get through the season, they need to be vaccinated, and have a bunker mentality, and avoid mingling with the general population on campus.
As far as lingering effects go -- there may be none. Could be mild disease, quarantine, and return in 10 days. We will know soon enough.

This royally sucks, though.

Just to switch gears, obviously we don't know who has it but I wonder if this means more playing time for Long? Smith? Weston? Powell?

Your views that covid being just a cold, and misunderstanding of how variants work should be taken LOTS.

Keep this messages on this board to things like, this sucks, what are the current covid big East protocols and what do you think will happen if this overlaps more into league play

Doesn’t matter is you get the jab or not, you can still get and transmit Covid. I don’t blame guys for not getting it especially with the risk of myocarditis. No need to risk heart issues over what amounts to a cold.
You realize, I'm sure, that the risk of myocarditis (though infinitesimally small), is much greater with having COVID-19 illness than getting the vaccine.

Last edited:
Easy to blame the unvaccinated players on the Hall, but, I pose this question: Out of the 4,500 positive cases in NYC yesterday, how many of those patients are vaccinated? I would guess the overwhelming majority. The NCAA/Big East needs to update it's Covid policy given how many breakthrough cases Omicron is causing amongst the vaccinated.
Its not really blaming them. Its more of the procedures that need to be followed. For example if an unvaccinated player comes in contact with a positive person they must isolate, but a vaccinated player does not. So all the unvaccinated players are now in isolation whether they're positive or not.

NC State literally had their championship hopes ended in Omaha and here we are 6 months later....

That sucks. Sounds like it is more like 64% of campus is vaccinated that they know about.

are we allowed to play if there is 7 players who test negative. (Maybe something like 2 times negative with a pcr test 5 days after last contact)

These players interact with support staff, refs, venue workers, older coaches, if it was just 15 guys 18 to 26 great, it isn't

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
So if we have to forfeit those 2 games, we'll have more Big East losses than overall losses. 9-1 (0-2)

If you have to be vaccinated for in person learning at SHU, I dont understand why/how and unvaccinated players were allowed to play. If the staff knew they were unvaccinated, they should not have been on the court or in the locker room.

If this is because we have unvaccinated players on the team, this was obviously an avoidable thing. How we can have unvaccinated players is beyond me and profoundly stupid.

Would change nothing. The jab doesn’t prevent transmission or contraction. Their only talking point is it “can” prevent hospitalization. Unless someone knows otherwise, none of the players are hospitalized.

If they are feeling effects, get them the therapeutics. Is very well documented that with them you will recover in a few days.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
If this is because we have unvaccinated players on the team, this was obviously an avoidable thing. How we can have unvaccinated players is beyond me and profoundly stupid.
I’m not surprised. Keep in mind that we have players who are close friends with Kyrie Irving, so that probably tells you where some players are being influenced.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT